It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things may not be what they appear

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
admin edit 14 June, 2010:

With all the ruckus about people shooting aircraft and trying to pass them off as UFOs (someone in Pennsylvania specifically), it occurs to me that this excellent thread started by ATS Member Raustin, is really appropriate so I've "Topped" it in the forum for easy access.

I think this is a good video for people to see, it highlights how easily a video camera can make something look completely different. What starts out sort of looking like a UFO soon sprouts wings and lo and behold, it's a plane. I've seen a ton of people claiming similar footage to be the real deal.Video

[edit on 26-11-2008 by Raustin]

[edit on 6-14-2010 by Springer]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

I think you have provided a link that will get heavily bookmarked.
Cameras, and our own eyes, can play tricks.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Yes, it's true, some some strange lights in the sky are just airplanes. When they have the bright landing lights on and are headed directly for you, they can appear to be a hovering light. You'll see that they're airplanes when they bank to come in to land.

However, a UFO ( as in unidentified) I saw several months ago, I initially assumed to be an airplane, then I thought it must be a planet, up until it dipped behind some trees about 300 yards away from me, and came shooting out in the direction of my house

Those aircraft lights can appear to hover for several minutes if they are on an extra long landing approach, too. Also, a stationary light (such as from a celestial body) viewed at night can appear to jump around due to movements of our eyeballs.

So, good point, things aren't always the way they appear, but not every light in the sky at night necessarily has a mundane explanation, either.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
that is an interesting video , thanks for posting

maybe it explains many ufo videos ?

like this one...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

That's an internally lighted advertising blimp.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jritzmann

Visual aid:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jritzmann

yea after watching it again i believe your correct and this video may serve as help in showing that things may not be what they appear...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yup, that'd be the one. Thanks much for posting that.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thanks for adding to the thread guys. Thought this could be helpful for a lot of folks. Any more input is greatly appreciated!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

A good reminder for us all to analyse thoroughly and critically. Your post also adds to the credibility of this forum - Starred and flagged.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I don't rely exclusively on any video or photographic evidence for proof, so I figure I'm already ahead of the game. The farthest I've ever gotten with any video or photo is, "I don't know." Some people see that as an affirmation of their belief that the image is of an alien space ship, but it's not. It's just a good, old fashioned, "I don't know."

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
That's not a plane, that's a anti-grav (you can tell by the plasma glow around it) vehicle, morphing into a plane - cunning!

/sarcasm mode off

S&F'd!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This chart falls in line with that plane video. Things definitely aren't always what they seem
s528.photobucket.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

That's not a plane...it's a space station!

Anyways...

Glad to see this video, hopefully it will help calm down a lot of the UFO videos that come up here that are just tiny lights in the sky that could seemingly be anything from a balloon reflection sun to a bird to, christ just about anything!

But I doubt my hopes will amount to anything...*sigh*...yet again...

...I'm feeling very silly tonight.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stonespiral

Join the club

Sadly though, it's like trying to hold back the tide, and you're constantly banging your head aginst a brick wall trying to get through to some people that just don't want to know.

I was very privileged to be granted a 'stickie' on this forum which tries to explain many of the misconceptions people have about meteors and how to identify them, and yet many people seem to miss it, and the info I included in there could be used to answer many of the questions that have popped up in recent days... but I guess it's a start.

It would be nice to see a thread like this as a stickie - with a nice collection of varied examples of commonly misidentified objects.

Any mods out there reading this?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
That's why I hate mucky video.............People get better cameras and put the VHS crap up.....................

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Ok great video post! i think this video is very intriguing & could be real for the simple fact that the light emmited by the object does not increase or decrease when moving from side to side and also because of the amount of time it stayed in that general area (50 min)if it was a plane coming straight for us it would take it less than 50 minutes to fly above us. i guess to finish we cant leave out the fact that this guy chased the object down the highway afterwards, if it was a plane i dont think he would of caught up with it .

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
This afternoon I was standing outside in front of my office. Its snowy so the visibility is limited toward the mountains. I was looking up and one of the shapes of UFO's I've seen in pic's was heading toward me. It then made a sharp turn went quickly left then went quickly to the right and sped up. I thought my God I'm seeing a UFO right now in the daylight.

Then it got a little closer and out of the haze its rotor and tail became visible. It was helicopter. Never heard a sound and could not see anything but the UFO shaped object moving rapidly in different directions.

It was closer than I thought, hence the impression of high speed maneuvers. The haze only hid the narrower parts. The haze and the heavy air dampened the sound. I realized I'd just tricked myself into seeing something as being something remarkable that was in fact just another helicopter.

It was a life flight that had just brought the victim from the shooting in Soldotna that made the national news today. It had popped up from the hospital. It had taken a zig zagging course to avoid traffic at our small plane airport, the busiest in the world.

What I first saw looked like this from my vantage point -

I learned something about peoples reactions. Had I ran inside before it got to where I could make out the truth, I would have argued I just saw the real thing. The atmospheric conditions made it look like it was in plain site when in fact much of the detail was hidden.

To add insult to injury I had no camera and I'm a photographer

I'm off to dream of tomorrows Pumpkin Pie.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Lower quality digital cams can do the same thing. You need something with a powerful "optical" zoom to get in close and clear. Digital zoom isn't that good for clarity, at least from my experience.

When you compress videos you can also get pixelated images.

When you buy a camera, get the highest optical zoom you can, if you are going for evidence. You basically want to use as little digital zoom as you can. My Handi-Cam got blurrier the more I zoomed in with digital.

You can also get add-on zoom lenses quite inexpensively to add even more power to your zoom.

Troy

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
great find. and people wonder why there are skeptics...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join