It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Being Misled Again? Iraqi Resistance Just a Minority??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
The official view of the US military on resistance in Iraq has consistently suggested that resistance is being carried out by Baath party and Saddam loyalists, and also by Al-Qaeda insurgents led by Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi. Officials seem to express that these attacks are only the opinion of the minority and not of the majority. However in light of the horrific events in Fallujah, it seems that once again we are being misled as to who is actually encouraging the resistance. There has been and continue to be many anti-American protests coming from the general Iraqi population. Could it be that once again we are being misled and blame to Al-Qaeda is just another excuse to continue occupation in a country whose people (majority not the minority as they would like us believe) is opposed to us being there??? This is just one article, all you need to do is look at the daily news out of Iraq and the number of attacks on our soldiers and foreign civilians to see the true picture.

Violence indicates extent of resistance
Even in other regions of the country (beside Fallujah), Iraqis seem to have a deep well of sympathy for those who kill Americans. The attackers are called mujahideen, or holy warriors, and considered freedom fighters.

"These are despicable people. They're a small minority of the Iraqi people," military spokesman Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt said yesterday. "And I suspect that most Iraqi people were as horrified with what they saw yesterday because they realized that that is painting the entire country of Iraq with a very wide brush."

But in Baghdad on Wednesday after the violence in Fallujah, tens of thousands of supporters of radical cleric Moqtada al-Sadr demonstrated outside the occupation's headquarters, burning a US flag and pointing at the soldiers on the perimeter, chanting, "You're next."

Abu Ali, a soda vendor who did not leave his perch outside the Green Zone gate during Wednesday's protest, said yesterday that the resistance in Fallujah had provided a compass for occupied Iraq. The most recent violence, he said, would inspire Iraqis nationwide.

"They are brave. We should do the same," Abu Ali said. "It is OK as long as it is Iraqis fighting for their country."

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I just have to question everything that the Bush administration or US based news sources vomits up any more. That is why I love this site so much; most of us are sick and tired of having other people decide which reality we should subscribe to.

As for the resistance being a minority, I just don't buy it. Even if not all of them are actually killing for what they believe, it is quite likely they do all support those whom are out there physically protecting what they see as their way of life. I know I am an old record sometimes, but we should not be there. I am all for the plight of the human race, but you don't donate your time at the abused children's center when your own children are at home hungry because they have no one to make them diner.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Since one of you says "just look at the news out of Iraq" How about the poll results from Iraq on ABC's website,

The poll finds that 78 percent of Iraqis reject violence against coalition forces, although 17 percent � a sixth of the population � call such attacks "acceptable." One percent, for comparison, call it acceptable to attack members of the new Iraqi police.

WW, I would say these results constitute a minority.

One of you says all U.S. news is "vomit" there is this quote from a BBC poll done in Iraq,

"The survey shows overwhelming disapproval of political violence, especially of attacks on the Iraqi police but also on American and other coalition forces."

And,

About 15% say foreign forces should leave Iraq now, but many more say they should stay until an Iraqi government is in place or security is restored.

I'd say that 15-% list by the BBC is the minority refered to by the coalition.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Can you show me an iraqi poll taken by iraqis or maybe one from another party other than the two main forces leading the occupation of Iraq?

in related news:

At weekly prayers on Friday, a cleric condemned the mutilation of four slain American contractors in this conservative city, but did not criticize the killings.
Muslim Cleric in Fallujah Condemns Mutilation of American Bodies; One U.S. Soldier, One Marine, Killed

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Since one of you says "just look at the news out of Iraq" How about the poll results from Iraq on ABC's website,

The poll finds that 78 percent of Iraqis reject violence against coalition forces, although 17 percent � a sixth of the population � call such attacks "acceptable." One percent, for comparison, call it acceptable to attack members of the new Iraqi police.

I don't trust statistics. There's too many different factors and variables that go into getting a poll like that. How many Iraqi's were surveyed? 50? 100? 1000? I doubt that's an accurate survey of the entire population. Don't base everything you think on statistics like this, most of the time they're quite deceiving.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
your saying that a people who just came out from under a dictator have the balls to fight america?

the actual resistance is probably a minority, the opinion is probably a majority due arab sentiments.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
the balls? these people have been bombed and shot at by 'mighty' america for the last 12 yrs. they are surrounded by enemies. they believe heaven is for martyrs. balls indeed.
why are americans so arrogant about their ability to dominate everything with mere force? an enemy territory must WANT to lose, in order for the invaders to be successful. ask sun tzu. bombs and bullets are not enough. the WILL of the people is the deciding factor.
if tomorrow every single iraqi decided to take on the 'mighty' american forces, it would be game over for the troops there. it is fortunate for american forces that the people are divided amongst themselves.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I find it a shame that "they" cannot "poll" the several hundred thousand buried by Saddam, maybe if they polled those families of the dead a radically different opinion would emerge.

WW, maybe the mullahs won't condemn murder but the political leaders will.
Fallujah leaders condemn gruesome murders

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Colonel is going to have to get the credit for finding this one.

AMY GOODMAN: It's good to have you with us. Can you describe the reaction in the streets to what took place in Fallujah?

GHAZWAN AL-MUKHTAR: This incident happened in Fallujah where two days before that, the American army shot many many people, women and children, on the streets, and --- in a bizarre shooting incident that was unjustified, killing many people. Fallujah has been a place where the US Army has actually used brutal force to suppress the people there, including using the F-15s, and F-16s to attack villages and place where they think the resistances are, which is unjustified to use high explosives against individuals. This resulted in many, many casualties in the province. Added to it, they have detained, for 50 or 60 days, hundreds of people on and off, which alienated the people against the American forces and the American contractors or the American security contractors, which are really a private army, uncontrollable by the US. This is part of the privatization of the war.

www.democracynow.org.../04/01/1621223

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
phoenix read your article... they condemn mutilations of bodies not the actual killings of Americans. For them it is okay to kill Americans, just not to mutilate their dead corpses.

"The City Council held a meeting late last night to condemn the acts of mutilation of the bodies," council president Saadallah al-Rawi told AFP.

Rawi also said "imams across Fallujah have decided to make a unified Friday sermon today that will condemn the mutilation of the bodies, based on the holy Koran and the teachings of Prophet Mohammed, which prohibit them."

Many Fallujah residents expressed dismay at the mutilation of the bodies which they considered against Muslim teachings, although some justified the acts as a reaction to army raids on homes and mosques in the town.

top topics

join