It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a computer, have I picked the right parts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I’m building a new gaming computer and I just wanted to make sure all the parts I’ve picked out are compatible before spending the money.

- www.ebuyer.com...
- www.dabs.com...
- www.ebuyer.com...
- www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1227421957&sr=1-1
- www.ebuyer.com...
- www.ebuyer.com...
- www.ebuyer.com...

This is what I’ve picked out and where I intend on buying them from. Am I getting a good deal?

Also I’m wondering whether I should wait until after Christmas and try to pick up cheaper stuff in the sales. Anyone got any experience in this?

Cheers

Mike

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Based on the specs for each they would all seem compatible. Seems the total cost is right around £574.00

For comparison, here's a slightly better system for around £388.00

www.tigerdirect.com...

Check the specs. It only comes with @GB of RAM, but I'm sure with the difference in price you could easily add another 2GB.

Just some food for thought and something to compare to.

Best of luck with the new rig!

[edit: to add]

Being in the UK you might want to check out MISCO

[edit on 24-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Thanks, now I just have to figure out whether to hang on for the sales or not.

That computer you linked to does look like a good deal but I reckon if it was shipped over here and had the same RAM it’d probably end up being around the same price. Plus I’m not too keen on the warranty conditions pre-built rigs come with, like if I sneeze on the case its void or some such ridiculous caveat!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
i would not get vista.

i have a celeron 2.4ghz machine
2gigs of ram
windows xp
256mb pci ati radeon x1300 (sorry its pci)

anyway i can basically play all the current games. rainbow six vegas 2 wich rocks. runs kind of slugish because i dont have a three gig processor. im on a laptop right now and it is 2ghz and 2gb of ram and it rocks but i would not recommend it for much of anything because vista is foreigner yank.

make sure you get a pci express graphics card and as much as you can get for your money.

also make sure that one the current graphics card you selected there are not any issues with power consumption. expecially with the motherboard and atx case.

wifi is slow so i did not read everything.

but i cant use the ati radeon x1500 on my computer because of voltage issues.

BUT DUDE OMG you have no idea when you get the bad games with the highest level graphics how much trouble your gonna be in. when i installed generals and then played it was weird because all this time i was haveing fun and then getting a grasp i was like dayum this is bad.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The thing with Vista is that I want to be able to play stuff on it for a few years before I have to upgrade and more and more games will end up being Vista only so…

I’ve asked on a few forums plus a local custom computer manufacturer about whether everything is compatible and whether I could expect any problems and so far everything’s been positive.

I might go for a 1gig GPU though instead of the 512mb, not sure if I’ll really see that much of a difference though.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
vista is fine, ive been using it since it came out, along with xp and osx. Its a preference thing.

The one thing I would change though, would be to go with a Pentium Duo-Core processor, not the AMD. AMD used to be comparable, even better perhaps about 5-8 years ago, but times have changed. Right now, intel is running things, and many drivers / software / etc. are optimized for intel.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by scientist]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It’s more a cost thing, doesn’t AMD better performance per £?

Plus like I said I want to be somewhat future proof and a quad core seems to be best for that.

As far as Vista goes I’m not sure what to believe, someone was telling me recently that it needs tweaking a bit to get best performance. Any truth to that?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Personally, I think Intel's quads outperform anything AMD currently has to offer.... dollar for dollar, more bang for the buck.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
What are the techy details of Intel vs AMD? Looking at the raw specs they seem very similar but with AMD being cheaper, obviously I don't think that's the end of the matter so how does all this translate into performance?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I didn't build a gaming platform like your planning to, but I got a good deal on a second hand motherboard with 1Gig ram and AMD athelon 3800 dual core 64 bit - £50. I suppose it's a basic machine compared to a lot of others, but it's fast enough to do al I want. It never crashes, runs vista ultimate (the disk landed in my hand somehow)

Combine that with my 10 year old 20" NEC multisync LCD2000.. which ebay also provided for £35 (an a bit of postage) I feel I can still consider my self a 'tight wad' whilst still running a platform I can run for years, with some small additions - like RAM.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

www.gizmodo.com.au...

www.extremetech.com...

As with most anything you'll find diehard advocates of both, much like ford -vs- Chevy, etc. Personally, i feel it all comes down to what your overall general usage will be. Applications -vs- Gaming and such.

$.02

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The thing that clinches it in AMD’s favour for me is that while I could get better performance from an Intel I would pay around £40 more too. I didn’t bother crunches any hard figures but looking at the performance charts of both the extra cost just doesn’t seem worth it.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
vista is fine, ive been using it since it came out, along with xp and osx. Its a preference thing.

+1 Vista is fine. Just dont buy a ready made PC from some big company.... their preinstalled versions are so full of BS and then people sit there and bitch about how its vista's fault -_-

Originally posted by scientist

The one thing I would change though, would be to go with a Pentium Duo-Core processor, not the AMD. AMD used to be comparable, even better perhaps about 5-8 years ago, but times have changed. Right now, intel is running things, and many drivers / software / etc. are optimized for intel.

+1 again. Isn't AMD going to stop making CPUs as well?

new topics

top topics

join