It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick ? for anyone who's been a member of ATS for a while

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I lurked for quite awhile long then joined and I was pretty gungho at first with posting.

I have learned to be a little bit more discerning and hold back a bit if I can not put my thoughts into words.

I come here every day and read as much as I can - so many people smarter than me at ATS

take are all
res

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I pretty much ran out of things to say......... and i have nothing more to say about that!

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
A percentage joined (me inc.) in 03-04 and then upgraded their computers or sold them or game them away and now they don't use (or remember the password) of the email address they used to register....

That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking with it

[edit on 28-11-2008 by undermind]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
WELL, I know ATS for a long time, i ocasionally post - but I do not think it is decreasing or increasing . I also believe that old active members would want a new start and they have fresh ID-s

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I miss the old times. But I know things will never be like they once were, perhaps partly because she has an ongoing relationship with thousands of other users and is a rotten, shameless whore. But mostly just because, well, virtual life is a funny old thing.

Jeez man, a rotten, shameless whore?
Weren't you a mod at one point?

So there you are. You've got a website that's taken off, with growth rates out the ying yang. Your once age old dream of being able to run the website full time starts coming into fruition. But there are issues. And there are more issues. And there is the temptation of money, hounding you in the face, but diametrically opposed to the problem of quality over quantity. The problem that never goes away. Did they deal with this in a way suitable for everyone? Impossible.

The bottom line is ATS continues to be what its membership makes it to be, despite any shortcomings or sellouts from the ownership. It CANNOT be everything to everyone. It is what it is because that's where the ownership decided to take it, for better or for worse, and for reasons good or bad. You want ATS to be rewarding? Then make friends. Visit your favorite posters profiles, maybe drop them a line. Find their posts, it's very easy. Notice new prolific posters. Make them your new friends. Seek their posts.

I will share a recent event. I had someone u2u me, concerned that they had not seen me posting in a while. They insisted that my opinion mattered, that I counted, and that I should try to post more. Now whether they were right or wrong is not the point. I had someone that to them my opinion mattered to the point that they would u2u me and tell me that. That really meant something to me, as trivial as it may seem to any of you.

And the funny thing was it was a newer member whose name I did not even recognize. But you talk about an instant friend! LOL, yup, added that person immediately. Kind acts like that happen very rarely to me. In fact, I have to admit being suspicious about it- I thought maybe Springer or SO were pulling a fast one on me- but then I realized how foolish that notion was.

I do not consider my self even in the same league as some of the people around here. But it's your job to find out who those people are for YOU. Until you do this here at ATS, I would venture that there is no reason you can't have a very enjoyable experience here (or love affair, lol- overall that was a great post WCIP!). Some of the very best material on this site is ages old. And chances are you will find it in the profiles of your favorite posters.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
I miss the old times. But I know things will never be like they once were, perhaps partly because she has an ongoing relationship with thousands of other users and is a rotten, shameless whore.

Well okay... but a well paid one at least

The estimated value of abovetopsecret.com... is: $1,731,600
www.dnscoop.com...

Hmmmm that's quite a drop from a few weeks ago

Jeez man, a rotten, shameless whore?

Maybe not so shameless

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Don't forget that many 'old timers' here on ATS have many threads in other sections that they may still be contributing towards, and as of yet, you have just not visited every litte nook and cranny of the site...

Neither have I, thinking about it.

It's just such a huge place. I spend a lot of time reading and just would love to say something about everything, but then there would be no day left and I'd probably starve or dehydrate or something else just as uninteresting

A lot of people get established in sections they prefer, others tend to spread far and wide.

Yes, a lot do and will, come and go to the site. sometimes it's a partial lack of interest or just simply need a break from such things. Others will have found another forum they have a connection with.

This is the same format with most MMORPGs. They see many players come and go. A lot stay for a long time, others go away and return much later. A bit of 'swings and roundabouts'. That's the life of online surfing. Too much to see and do and so little time to fit it all in

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
The estimated value of abovetopsecret.com... is: $1,731,600

lol, that doesn't even cover SO's overtime, let alone his salary (total conjecture, so sue me.)

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

... do people eventually grow tired of ATS?, bored of it?, do they think they know enough?, annoyed?, or do they just do more reading then posting now-a-days and save the few posts for the ones they believe deserve it?

probably all of it

I haven't been here that long myself - so I'm still in the process of getting to know who's here - how often then post - what they post - why they post

I spend more time reading than posting - I never get bored

maybe someday - but I don't see how

sometimes I don't post because I get tired of hearing my own voice - so I take one step back and shut up

sometimes I'm fascinated by what everyone else is saying - but don't have anything to contribute - or even the urge to contribute

wasn't here during the heyday of ATS - but suspect that nostalgia colors everything - even nostalgia for what was only 2-3 years ago

I do see the same topics come up again and again - I don't see any way to avoid it - but the interesting thing to me is hearing new perspectives on the old subjects - or new questions

in some ways I enjoy even more the brand new brawls (or even all out gang wars) on the same old tired out topics

endless hours of good old fashioned fun for everyone - unless your only objective is to actually uncover The Truth

you'll never get that - because it's not possible

but I figure - if you listen to enough people, and ask enough questions - you can get part of it

if you're really interested in what and how other people think - this place will never get old

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I almost never post.....

1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Damn.

We've actually seen a lot of older members return recently. Sign of the times?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

The types that stay active longest are

1. genuine wackos of all persuasions;
2. axegrinding creationists, and
3. people for whom a couple of hours on ATS is as much fun as a visit to the zoo - a zoo in which, under the watchful eyes of the keepers, you're allowed to poke and prod the animals enough to wind them up, but not enough to hurt them.

such an all encompassing list Astyanax - and so concise

:-)

but you forgot a few

some of us live to watch the critters poke back

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
You also have to take into account that many of the older members are now mods. They post every day, the problem is they post in the mod forums so you never get to read them.

I've been here almost four years now and I still show up everyday to check out whats going on. I don't post like I used too, but there are many folks who think that's a good thing

Perhaps I've just said everything I needed to say, or succumbed to the futility of no one ever listening, or realized that even if someone was listening it still wouldn't make one damn bit of difference.

I still love reading the daily scoop though. For that I am grateful to all our recent members and the contributions they make.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join