It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Scientists Predict Major Southern California Earthquake in Five Months

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
A team of scientists from the University of California, Los Angeles, predict that a major quake will occur within a 12,000-square-mile area east of Los Angeles by September 5th, 2004. The zone includes a large area of the Mojave Desert, the Coachella Valley, the Imperial Valley and eastern San Diego County.

"A state earthquake council has given a qualified endorsement to a prediction by a group of scientists who believe that a temblor of magnitude-6.4 or greater will occur in the Southern California desert sometime in the next five months"

This group is the same that has done other predicitons in the past.

Many have believed a big quake was coming in the LA area but it seems they are being rather general about size, location, etc.

Article
www.ktvu.com...

[Edited on 1-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by Banshee]

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
uh... fix the title... scientits is well... yeah...

and haven't people been saying something along the lines of this for oh... the past 20 years?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I thought earthquakes were unpredictable?
Anywayz a good read.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Not bad.

With newer technology peoples lives are being saved and dangers are told ahead of when it happens.

Out,
Russian

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
How creepy. I wouldn't doubt it considering about all the bottom portion of california sites on a gold mine of fault lines.

What a coincidence. I turn 20 on September 5th of this year.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
From page 3 of this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

One of my 2004 predictions was:

4. After September - more specifically I think in November, during the Leonid meteor shower there will the most catastrophic seismic event in modern times - global effects. This event could actually take place in 2005, but my money is on the last 3 months of 2004.

ewwwww

but then again I predicted the Sooners would win the Sugar Bowl, so what do I know.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
i wunder if the govt will blame it on al-queda??? u know, al-kayda is responsible for everything.....

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Yeah, the government will find some way to pin an earthquake on Al-Queda. It is completely viable to do that. And easy. *cough*

Note: May contain sarcasm.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I hope not.
There would be marshal law, and panic. You have to remember
what is built within a fault line zone.

www.nrc.gov...

San Onofre 3
PWR
4 MI SE of San Clemente,��CA
Southern California Edison Co

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
lol they will claim al quada inflitrated a HAARP station or something.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
How odd that this news comes out just as NBC begins promos for their new mini series in may.

From their site:
COMING IN MAY
Disaster hits the United States when a giant earthquake shakes-up the West Coast, separating the entire region from the main land, and sending it into the ocean. Kim Delaney, Emmy Award winner Beau Bridges, Dule Hill (The West Wing) and Ivan Sergei (Crossing Jordan) star in this earth-rattling four-hour miniseries.

Here is a link to the shows preview is on this page:
www.nbc.com...&_Specials/

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

4. After September - more specifically I think in November, during the Leonid meteor shower there will the most catastrophic seismic event in modern times - global effects. This event could actually take place in 2005, but my money is on the last 3 months of 2004.

ewwwww

but then again I predicted the Sooners would win the Sugar Bowl, so what do I know.

perhaps in the mideast? or is that too soon

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
So Cal is due for a big one - I wonder with the magnetic field getting so low if it will trigger masive quakes?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuTroll

Originally posted by Valhall

ewwwww

perhaps in the mideast? or is that too soon

Not too soon, because something has to happen to the Al-Aqsa Mosque. The mosque has one wall that is collapsing (I believe I have a thread somewhere on the board about that). If a significant quake hit the Jersualem area, it could conceivably bring down the mosque. And I don't think I need to go on concerning that.

EDIT: Here is the link to the partial collapse that occurred at the mosque. It has had a "bulge" in one wall (the bulge being a 3 ft bulge (i.e. the wall has fallen away that far) for several years now). Israeli engineers had offered to go in and reinforce the wall to prevent it caving in...you can guess the reaction of the Muslim community. Oh well, they tried.

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
How odd that this news comes out just as NBC begins promos for their new mini series in may.

WoW.....
"10.5" looks pretty damn good!
I would hate to see all of California sink in to the ocean, couldn't it just be the Berkely area and most of "Holywierd"? Oh, and that was a joke for the humor impared, I don't really want that to happen

How would the country handle something like that?
I could see the great plains turning in to huge tent cities. Law and order would be next to impossible to maintain. Not to mention the loss of life, property, and $$$$. Scary thought that it's just even likely to happen.

Maybe it would not hurt to spend more time and money monitoring and studying this to become better prepared.
Maybe this is just some people trying to use scare tactics to direct funding their way. MOst are aware that the west is due for one, but to predict one by Sept means to me that someone either really knows (doubtfull) or is trying to cause panic for some reason, probably $$$.

If you were a scientist that knew enough to predict something like this would you not move your self and family out the area? I wonder if these people did? If so then i'd be more inclined to take them seriously.
I guess we have the next few months to sit back and see.

Anyone remember this:

When an earthquake was predicted for December along the New Madrid fault, the news media didn't just report the ensuing panic � they created it.
geology.about.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The government will say a team of Islamic terrorists dug a hole in the ground, stuffed the hole with a pack of dynamite, and exploded it.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
The government will say a team of Islamic terrorists dug a hole in the ground, stuffed the hole with a pack of dynamite, and exploded it.

Well, aside from children, anyone stupid enough to believe that deserves to sink to the bottom of the ocean with California.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
h

[edit on 2004-7-1 by Teknik]

top topics

join