It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best pistol caliber??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Whatever you're comfortable carrying and shooting and trusting is best.

I have handguns in almost every available caliber. Even 9mm Makarov and 7.62x25. And I still carry a 9mm sub-compact.

45 is nice but a pain for me to carry. I'm tall and thin and dont feel like wearing parachute pants.

I would draw the line at .380 if you're going small.

In the real world your most likely encounter is a mugger from front or behind and generally within arms reach. Dont expect any cross-street fire fights. Life isnt a movie. You could carry a full size XD with 15 rounds of .45 but unless you live in a war zone you wont ever need it.

A BOB gun is a different story.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

For years I carried a Smith & Wesson Model 19 loaded with "Silver tips" as an under the jacket hideaway it was perfect!...but... the light weight and 2.5 barrel tiny grip made this little pocket gun twist in your hand and out of everything I ever owned this was the hardest to quickly bring back on target...

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Anyone who has ever read any of my posts on the topic already knows that I am completely for the .40 S&W. I carry a Sig P239 in the .40 and love it!

I find a .357 too inefficient a round and question it's ranged accuracy - same with the .45. I tend to look for a balance of velocity, transfer of mass (stopping power), along with the overall shooting comfort and target reacquisition.

Both a .357 and .45 tend to have too much recoil and make reacquisition difficult. The recoil also has a tendency to affect accuracy. A 9mm simply over-penetrates and lacks any significant mass transfer, although it is very accurate and simple to shoot. Combine those rounds and you get... wait for it... the .40 S&W... giving the best of all worlds... IMHO

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Best pistol caliber??

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Whatever you're comfortable carrying and shooting and trusting is best.

Agree 100%...

To me, the "best caliber" is the one you can consistently hit the target with. Recoil recovery/follow up shots are a very important part of the equation.

Personally, 45acp and the 357 magnum are the largest calibers I would feel comfortable carrying but, the 9mm allows me to get more shots on target in the shortest time. I'd rather get three small rounds COM than 1 large round in a bad guys shoulder. Also, I'd rather carry a medium frame .45/.357 than a snubbie .38.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

For personal defense I carry a Ruger sp101 in 357 mag. when I'm out in the bush I carry a Taurus ultralte titanium 44 mag. I've owned several semi -autos in 45 and 40 cal. I prefered the 40, a springfield XD is hard to beat. But I do prefer revolvers over semi-autos,mainly for the simplicity,not much can go wrong with them..What ever you decide to get,3 words of advice,,practice,practice, practice.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I love the 1911! Has to be the best so I'll put my money on the .45

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well, It all depends on the Scenario ... If you are looking for a HOUSE GUN ... You need to get a SHOTGUN .. If you are looking into a Concealed Weapon ...Again Depending on Application. If you are in the city and would possibly be using it around HEAVY POPULATED areas .. You would not want somehting with alot of Penetration. Which I never really want anyways ... who care if you put 10 holes in someone when they are on Methaphetamines and do not stop coming. You put a 45 in someone they will be moving the other direction. And for the most part it will not go through a wall after going through someone. Whereas a 9 mm or a .40 is highly likely to go through a wall and into someone else possibly. Or even destroy someone else property ... best case scenario. Now when you go to style of guns .. I really like 1911 style I actually got a .45 Taurus Millenium PRO ... Which I do like because of its compact style. But the dang thing is not accurate over 10 yards away for the best Marksman. Although I have gotten more accurate with it and I can hit things with the 11 bullet clip it comes with. I would much rather not have to be blowing holes in stuff trying to hit what I meant to hit with the first shot. Besides all of that .. the .45 was made by the Military and the .40 is made for HOBBYIST. .... So who would you go with the MILTARY Application or the HOBBYIST marksman ... And yes ... I will always love myt .50 cal hand cannon that bullets cost damned near 2.50 a shell ... But NO ... I do not carry it with me every day .. Thats my .45's JOB !!!

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
AND YES !!! Someone said it BEST when they SAY PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE !!!!!!!! And also the Revolvers are so much more simpler than a Semi-Automatic ... But I do love to be able to go out and pull 10 rounds off real quickly ... As apposed to 6 or 8 .... GL in your endeavors bro ... AND PRACTICE with it !! Do not expect to be able to shoot any gun perfectly the first time SHOOTING !

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the input everyone. I agree that the best side arm is the one you are most comfortable with. I try to get to the range once a week or more, and am very comfortable with all the pistols I own. I'm hearing some good points for the .40, and I forgot about the 10mm. For some reason I thought 10mm was restricted to military/police work. Is that true? I'm still sticking with my 'flying ashtray' ammo I think.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Given the fact that you want your target to absorb the bulk of the energy generated by the cartridge, a .45 ACP is very, very efficient.

There's a reason that many top law enforcement, military, and professionals are abandoning the .40's and 9mm's and getting back to the .45.

It works. It's efficient.

It's proven in combat for almost a hundred years.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

I would propose that the best caliber handgun for self defense is the one that you pull out and just the sight of which causes the perp to flee in mortal terror.

No need for expending costly ammunition.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
reply to post by Raustin

Given the fact that you want your target to absorb the bulk of the energy generated by the cartridge, a .45 ACP is very, very efficient.

There's a reason that many top law enforcement, military, and professionals are abandoning the .40's and 9mm's and getting back to the .45.

I was under the impression that the biggest recent shift in caliber has been to .357 sig!
Take your pick, 9mm, 357 sig, 40s&w, 45acp. They will all work if you can shoot with them.
I'll be the first to say I like the 9mm though.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
One last thing I should point out... Last year there was a shortage of military caliber ammo...mostly .223 55gr FMJ but 9mm was hard to come by too.... for a while .223 was up to like 6 months back order...
it was so bad a lot of police agencies had to suspend training for a while and even my own beloved Corps was not letting Marines go out to the range just to practice. however there was plenty of .45 and 40S&W on the shelves...

So you see there is one draw back to military caliber weapons...

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Very true. It's looking like that is going to happen again soon. I think the best thing to do about ammo shortages is to own at least one gun in every caliber. Now, if only I could sell the girlfriend on that!

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin

Now, if only I could sell the girlfriend on that!

Good luck on that one bud...I'm three years an counting trying to talk my wife into letting me buy a Magnum Research Desert Eagle MK19
...its one of those don't need it but I really want it toys!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Never liked them all that much. I stick to my 1911's and Glocks. I guess I can see the attraction, they are fun to shoot. Just don't seem to practical. Plus, my arm shook like a little girls when I held the damn thing one handed.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

Could someone describe the disassembly proceedures for the Kimber full size .45? I can't get the barrel out of the slide. Thanks

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin

Very true. It's looking like that is going to happen again soon. I think the best thing to do about ammo shortages is to own at least one gun in every caliber. Now, if only I could sell the girlfriend..

How much do you think you would get for her?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

The 22 hallow point has about the same kill capability as the .38 caliber. T

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join