It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best independent news - your views and advice?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
All,

I would welcome your opinions on what you would consider to be the best source of politically impartial, well informed and independent news available? Specifically one that covers UK, but I'm open to suggestions on World News sources too.

I have spent considerable time working through newspapers and have (given the exception of The Times (UK)) found myself well and truly spent upon the journalism that exists today.

In my YOUNG teenage days I often purchased local papers, namely The South Wales Echo (UK) and then drifted onto The Sun and other major tabloids, but now I have long since abandoned all respect for the drivel that so frequently spews over those pages. Quite frankly, I wouldn't wipe my arse with The Sun, but it gets increasingly annoying when even the most prestigious of broad-sheets starts to show glimpses of language used so commonly in the mass-manipulative demeanour.

It offends me....no, it insults me. I can not bare to watch maintsteam UK television broadcasted news such as BBC or ITV because I find it simply patronising, as though I am being spoken to like a child. An experience I feel confident alot of you can relate to?

I've always had a strong incline about media vessels dumbing down the masses and it's plainly obvious, especially after spending some time paying attention to Alex Jones's work and acknowledging the evidence to support it. I mean it doesn't take a genius to know when you're being told disinformation, being lied to or just generally being sold something because you're told you need it, but come on.

OK, thanks for reading, your comments would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Please move this to the appropriate thread index if it doesn't belong here.

PEACE

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I think you are on it. I get most of my news from here at ATS and then go looking at reports.
When the Russia and gorgien war was going on,ATS had all the breaking news from all over the world and most of the time before the UK media had it.

Edit: Here's one on you tube.
uk.youtube.com...

[edit on 18/11/08 by freemindmine]

[edit on 18/11/08 by freemindmine]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If you're in the UK - although I think you can subscribe anywhere in the world - I can't recommend Private Eye enough.

It owes nothing to either of the big two parties so has no allegiance or bias as such: if there's dirt on any politician then it'll print it. It covers plenty of stories that barely get touched on by newspapers both at local and national levels. I've found stories about my own local council in there that don't even get touched by my local papers, never mind the nationals.

I've read it off and on since the early 1980s. I was pretty lucky in that my grammar school library carried both Private Eye and Punch.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by freemindmine

Remember: they're only independant until they're major.

I don't trust any information given to me unless I see the proof for myself, directly in front of me.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by bdswetty

I hear what you are saying. When I hear any Breaking news, I check out lots of reports and try and cut through the crap.
I dont really trust any of them.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Thank you all. Duly noted!

I live in Nottingham, UK and although we have a 'county' editorial called (typcially) The Evening Post, there are also smaller district and town based papers printed too.

Interestingly although they essentially would come under the umbrella of the county editorial, the same stories are worded somewhat different - almost as if the journalism capitalises on the cross-section of people predominantly reading that specific paper.

PEACE

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I think ATS would have to be it.
It's unbiased, most of the time and sometimes, SOMETIMES informative (I'm not saying that a politician that blinks weird ISN'T a reptilian).

There's always someone that will find it and start a thread, but I think we all know who dominates the political news on ATS, every second thread has "obama" in it.

top topics

join