It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bothered Much? 'Meh' Is A Word

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Unfortunately, there is no institution that regulates which are real words in the English language. However, anyone that finished H.S. can understand that ´Meh´is nothing but a sound. Just because people use it, does not mean it should be made a real word. Otherwise, with our school system failing, we are headed to replace the entire English language with slang. Slang and dialects should be enough for the "free spirits." Why ruin a real language?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by smjhnsn2

It's a word as much as ain't is.

It's just a book to define things. That's all a dictionary is. It doesn't make the word official, or special, or better. It just defines it in case someone doesn't know what it means.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I gave up a long time ago when they declared "YO" to be a word.
I lost a Scrabble game to that one. Perhaps I am just bitter. . ?

Meh.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Meh is second only to harrumph on my list of favorite vernacular terms.

Come to think of it, meh has brought out a good harrumph by a couple of posters thus far.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

This can't be right can it? I know english is constantly evolving but common, this is de-evolving. No one can accuse me of being a literary giant
but 'Meh' is not a word, it's little better than a grunt.

Thoughts?

I think the words you meant to use there were "come on"... not "common". And no after that I won't accuse you of literary genius.

All I can say to this whole thread is meh

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
But is "meh" a forum- forbidden word? There are plenty words we can't say, so for the love love God mods, let us have ONE word we can use to display our, um um,..(agita?).. whatever, don't make that a bad word mods, please??

[edit on 12/22/08 by scooterstrats]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Come on!
It's been waiting to be a word for a long time.
Almost "onamontapeiaic" in it's style of usage.
Just seeing it used properly the first time, I knew what it meant, because I make that sound when I'm feeling indifferent.

Good to know English is still evolving.
I'm rooting for "main't" next time around..May not, shall not, should not..

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
It is merely the phonetic equivalent of shrugging your shoulders. I don't see what the fuss is about.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
No one will believe me

but i used this word long before it became popular, or was even heard of, even before eric cartman's "meeeh"

me and my gf used it, then it was used on south park, then it became popular..

no jokes

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellsing

I believe you.
I used it too, or at least, I made that sound. And I'm older than you!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

This reminds me of something...

Remember those skim boards, youd slide them over the shallow water on the beach and then jump on them and slide across the water...

Well me and a buddy took it a step further, this was many years ago..

We used our bodyboards, and we would do that, but we decided to slide the boards up into oncoming waves, and if you are at the right beach ( where the sand slopes downwards at a angle ) you would hit the wave and get immense airtime, im talking about doing double summersaults 6 - 7 feet in the air, thats what we did, and crowds would form on the beach watching us and even cheering us on.

what happened ?

Not a year later and it was actually turned into an official sport...

We created that!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Hellsing, are you being serious when you say you "invented" those things? Come on man, don't be so arrogant and ignorant. The world doesn't revolve around you.

"Meh" and the body boarding thing are fairly common, and it is simply ridiculous to claim that you personally invented both.

[edit on 12/22/2008 by prototism]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Meh..

Who cares. The dictionary defines stuff. They are now defining 'Meh' for people who dont listen to the "lolz u hax0r" crap all day.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by prototism

Dude, I am dead serious, all that existed before the bodyboarding wave jump sport came to light was skim boarding, no one did what we did, not on tv or even where we lived, it wasn't even on youtube.

We started it...think of it man, someone has to start something for it to take any notice, and we started the wave jumping sport.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

It reminds me of the Yiddish "Feh!" which seems to mean about the same thing.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
how do you pronounce "meh"

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Welp,.. I thought 'meh' was a common typo.

Shows me how up to date I am.

Is 'teh' a typo for 'the', please let meh know.

Im standing in line here wif the Toad...........

pleh FOO is meh new cuss for online cussinating

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join