It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bothered Much? 'Meh' Is A Word

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

The dictionary will define "meh" as an expression of indifference or boredom, or an adjective meaning mediocre or boring
Link

This can't be right can it? I know english is constantly evolving but common, this is de-evolving. No one can accuse me of being a literary giant
but 'Meh' is not a word, it's little better than a grunt.

Thoughts?

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Call me negative but the times I have seen it here on the boards it always makes me laugh a bit.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
i love the word meh, it sums it up perfectly. what's more, i consider myself to be reasonable verbose but cannot think of a better word to express the feeling of indifference or boredom. meh is fantastic.

besides, what is a word except a noise people make which is understood by others to mean something. generally speaking, in most instances, i'll bet more people in any given location understand the word meh than understand the word myopia.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I tried to play "meh" as a word on Scrabble just today. Apparently it isn't a word - But it should be!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
'Meh' may not be a certifiable word but it has a nice tone and is much cleaner than many alternative profane "real" words that could be used in it's place.

Why not invent another word? Why do we have to keep the standard Kings English. Meh, variety and imagination are delicious spices in our, meh, world.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold
I tried to play "meh" as a word on Scrabble just today. Apparently it isn't a word - But it should be!

That's the point - It will be officially defined in the next edition of the English dictonary - thus making it a 'real' english word.

I got nothing against it being used, I use it, but put it in the dictonary? I make a whole range of sounds to express my self, I propose 'Nhumpt' It's the kind of Nasal / back of throat sound I made when I read the story. Soon we could release a caveman edition of the dictonary.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I propose 'Nhumpt'

the word for that sound is "grump", you just have the wrong accent.

EDIT: but the right attitude

[edit on 17/11/08 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Welp,.. I thought 'meh' was a common typo.

Shows me how up to date I am.

Is 'teh' a typo for 'the', please let meh know.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I think this is ridiculous. 'Meh' is not a word. It's a slang, or whatever. But not a word. Who decides what gets added to our dictionary anyhow? Maybe we need to change who decides these things.
Sam

Please refrain from adding unrelated (spam) links to you posts.
Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link. (specifically- section 4) Advertising: )

[edit on Mon Dec 22 2008 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Meh is a lot easier to spell than indifrent.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Hahaha

This is great. People are gonna get on their high horses over this.

You can spell it, people say it, people type it, therefore it is a word as far as I'm concerned.

As such, it deserves to be in the dictionary.

Will be interesting to read the etymology and first recorded use the word.

Remember - a dictionary only reflects what words are part of the lexicon.

Fab news.

Descriptivists unite...

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

'Meh' is not a word, it's little better than a grunt.

I was thinking the same thing. It reminds me of 'Ahem' being a real word. Apparently, no dictionary is complete without phlegm gurgling sound effects as an entry.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

listen here girlie, if pink is a colour then meh deserves to be a word.

[edit on 17/11/08 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Thoughts?

Meh

Sorry for the one liner but it had to be said

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Pink is the color. Ok, in my world at least. Carry on.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Pink is mah favorite color.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Nah meh is fine. Be worried when the letter 8 starts turning up in dictionaries.

Because m8, str8 up, that will be the time that the english language will be degener8ing

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
There was a time when I was given a bad mark in English for the use of the word "ain't". Although it was in common spoken use, for years it was considered slang.

So all I can say is,"Meh ain't a word till enough people start using it."

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Clearly enough people are using it if Collins see fit to put it in the dictionary. It is not something done lightly.

Peace,

MGGG

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

That's the point - It will be officially defined in the next edition of the English dictonary - thus making it a 'real' english word.
An English dictionary. Not the English dictionary, as there's no one authority.

That being said, the Oxford English Dictionary included Homer Simpson's "Doh" as an interrogatory...

Expressing frustration at the realization that things have turned out badly or not as planned, or that one has just said or done something foolish. Also (usu. mildly derogatory): implying that another person has said or done something foolish (cf. DUH int.).

[edit on 11/17/2008 by JoshNorton]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join