It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows XP: End Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps\
But you are making my point for me, in that so-called NECESSARY "advancement of tech" which Vista claims to represent, is all a bunch of LIES. as RK3R said a few posts above yours: "I am also sick of the new bogus fluff bunnies that come with vista, not needed, A computer is on thing, A TOOL, nothing more. Make it as fast and efficient as possible, PERIOD."

If a computer was just a tool and nothing more, then why aren't we all just running DOS? After all, if it's just a tool, we shouldn't waste the precious system resources on a pretty GUI.

These companies hate humanity, because they will exist as soulless whores of the GDP and waste and planned destruction of perfectly good resources.

Okay, that's just ridiculous

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspadesOkay, that's just ridiculous

I can understand that you think my idea is ridiculous, but if you will research, you will find that many ideas which you have, will destroy humanity eventually. If you don't agree that the situation is dire (obviously you don't, you see things as being totally fine) then I am sure you can phrase your counterpoint here?

Apple and M$ are two sides of a lobster-claw-dialectic which captures the people in its grasp. These companies secretly steal (see "Pirates of Silicon Valley") and do whatever they want... The 'crusader' image which Jobbers and Gates maintain is completely absurd. Both are so removed from poverty that it is like a King riding a mile-high horse. How the hell could he relate?

Hey you, Microsoft apologist: You've already displayed your snobbery by the phrasing in your response about how "uh no, your PC is just to slow!" ...Duurrrrr, ya know? Like everyone can just go upgrade. I've worked with Winblows since 3.1 and whatever forward motion it made was due to the SHEER DEMAND for a computer, which Microsoft knows, and which they and all their third-world bridge-building, cheap-labor PC making factory buddies are all very happy with, in this world you admire so much.

Research the poor and how the GDP affects them, then come back to this thread, cause they can't get to Best Buy.

NOTE: Microsoft has big plans for India.

This guy seems nice but 1gig of ram is no problem for him, lol.

....I thought this comment on the video above, from YouTube, was relevant. Comment is correct on somany levels:

quote by psikeyhackr:
We shouldn't buy junk that depreciates because it reduces our NET WORTH? Why buy a $3000 laptop that will be worth $1500 in 18 months. I can get a used laptop for less than $500. What do I know how to do with the $3000 laptop that I can't do with the $500 unit. The new one has a bigger screen and more MHZ! SO WHAT?

[edit on 16-11-2008 by smallpeeps]

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
At the time of development, there was the 2000 team versus the NT team, so you are wrong. It was a competition within Microsoft and NT won because of many reasons. XP is NT, not 2000, and not 95. Do your homework.

Well I might not know anything about any internal competitions that various M$ teams might have had but I do know that XP is built on NT just like win2k.

Here's a winki for ya. lol, yeah wiki rulez

Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Home Server, and Windows Server 2008 are based upon the Windows NT system, although they are not branded as Windows NT.

wiki
Hows that for homework, do I get a pass?

UNIX is not an option because it will never be user friendly like the DOS subsystem and explorer.exe threading model.

Never say never, that's my motto. Sorry, just because it's not consumer friendly yet doesn't mean it never will...
Proof, Mac OSX!!!

Screw OS X because are you telling me Mac users are going to learn Unix? ...No, they'll be too busy being sucked into their Iphone. Apple is the path of the fascist rich jerks, not the peole who want to share usable computers with the world.

Ever used OSX? You don't need to know unix to use it. fascist rich jerks lol, yeah I give you that

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fett Pinkus
On XP Pro Service Pack 1 togeather with Sygate Free firewall, spybot and spyware blaster thats all I need.

Had no antivirus softeware for the last 4 years and never had a virus.

Xp definatly rocks, easy to use and to configure to get your pc secure.

Am right out there on your side Smallpeeps

Fett, I agree. I have XP on my desktop and hardly ever do I have problems, but my laptop has Vista and daily I have to scan and get viruses of it AArgh!

posted on Nov, 16 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I have to agree, Vista is so overloaded with nonsense and useless junk that it literally robs itself of resources, as well as rob the end user of the hardware speed.

There is really only one thing that I have found that is usefull in Vista..its the system restore point feature.

Now I dont know if XP has that because I never used XP when it came out, I stayed with my 98SE machine as it was performing well and did everything I wanted it to do. Never messed with ME, 2000 either.

But as a regular pc user who does not go around spouting BS of "I am an expert and you are not" BS, it is the end user experience and submissions that drives the OS makers, be it Microsoft, Linux or whomever, to build them to end user wants.

However in this case with Vista, they threw in everything into the boat and the poor boat rides the waterline at the rim.

As to the hords of pc's being sent in to service centers filled with viruses, thats not an OS problem or an OS maker problem, it is an end user problem that will more than likely never go away....so expect to be flooded with pc's filled with viruses and be glad your getting repeat buisness and keeping the doors open and your paycheck comming in. As a certified broadcast engineer and Sony certified consumer electronic tech, I am for one glad to see dummies bring in camcorders and dvd players with bubblegum shoved into the mechanisim...all of the rediculous stuff means the bills will get paid and I can wake up the next day knowing I have a job.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
There is really only one thing that I have found that is usefull in Vista..its the system restore point feature.

Thanks for your post RFB, yes, XP has system restore. ...Copy and paste the text below into the "RUN" field which you can get by going to START > RUN or by opening Task Manager and selecting FILE > NEW TASK (RUN)

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

...this will allow you to choose any day where a System Restore has been done --But this functionality is not to be relied upon. Always back up regularly, off-machine, and always be ready to reload your OS and drivers and programs if need be.

But as a regular pc user who does not go around spouting BS of "I am an expert and you are not" BS, it is the end user experience and submissions that drives the OS makers, be it Microsoft, Linux or whomever, to build them to end user wants.

I disagree, but yeah, I know why you think this. For the most part you are right, but once they retire what the people wanted (a useful computer), then doesn' it invalidate the idea of a "free market"?

As to the hords of pc's being sent in to service centers filled with viruses, thats not an OS problem or an OS maker problem, it is an end user problem that will more than likely never go away.

You are right in some respects, but merging open source XP with SpyBot or other FREE tools, would work.

The cyberwar is really just a dream at this point, and it's still beyond the ken of the oldsters who control the world and get advised by these young kids of the new egeneration. The younger generation of criminals is trying to convince the older generaton that viruses can be truly as profitable as drugs and also used as weapons to shut down other servers. ...The oldsters can't argue with this once they see the servers for the Georgian government go flat --which they did a day before the shooting started.

Notice the names of the most recent bots/viruses: "MS ANTIVIRUS 2009" and "Vista Antivirus 2010"? ...I am not saying M$ is behind these viruses, but the writers know that certain things will cause you to click... certain things cause a sort of click-whirrr mechanism where the human feels that something is safe. The subtlety of viruses is just now beginning, and whereas camcorders are surely useful, cyberwar cannot be waged by camcorders (I respect your skills) so being elitist about the masses just simply will not work, because we have to either help them up or we all get helped DOWN.

My main point is this: If what you have suggested, is allowed to be, then the viruses (cyberwar) will cause the Internet to be "shut down for national security reasons". Problem, reaction, solution. ...Ending the cyber war means educating everyone about computers and also putting an awesome open-source tool in their hands. ...I know I am dreaming, but my Creator said it might be worth trying to explain the truth to you.

The "hordes" are the common people. They are getting screwed by Microsoft. ...I was reading at the grocery store last night how M$ wants Windows 7 to be out within two years? Just enough time to ditch XP and have people gag on Vista for a few months then be "saved" by the next thing?? Wake up!

The article I read (mass consumption garbage) said that there are 17 teams of engineers working on Windows 7. Probably half of them are social engineers, ie.e. marketing people. Probably they are looking at the billions of people in Andra Pradesh and throughout India, to be the main buyers of Winblows 7. ...America? Gates and Co. is bailing out on you. But for the indian people at the other side of the "electronic bridge", it'll be like Win95 all over again for them! Oh what a new day will dawn once Microsoft's plans for India come to full fruition. If Gates had any faith in the meantime, wouldn't he be holding his stock? Nah, he's shedding it like dead skin.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by smallpeeps]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Now, in history, some people are getting computers for the first time. Others, with this global recession, have lost their chance to have a PC, maybe for 20 years or so.

I hear what you are saying about releasing windows xp code to the public but, I would like to point out that you can have a working computer for $20 sometimes less and it's quite easy to do.

Step 1 go to a thrift store and buy an old out of date computer For example pentium 3 chipset 886 mhz pc. It can be even less I have ran puppy linux on an old 256. If you look around you might even find one in a dumpster for free just make sure it has a cd drive.

Step 2 download puppy linux and have a friend burn it to cd for you it is free. If this is not an option you can find burnt disks available online for a couple bucks.

That's it, you don't even need to have a hard drive as puppy linux was designed to run entirely on ram. I even had a old IBM netfinity server that was thrown out of a law office that doubled as coffee table running it without any of the hard drives in it. I used a small usb thumb drive to save all the config files on and what little I downloaded off the internet.

Will it be a gaming pc no. Is it a little different than windows yes. But you can have a computer that surfs the web, handles email for 20$ easy. It is really not that hard to use either. It can do alot more if you want to learn it but I think everyone can figure out how to run the connection config utility and use it for internet and email (the most commonly used things a PC does).

Windows will not release XP any time soon and maybe never. I still use xp pro at work and would not move to vista at this point in time. The problem is that vista probably (I say probably because there is no way of knowing really) borrows a whole lot from xp. That and they are still making alot of money off of xp.

I just wanted to point out that you can have a computer if it is something you really want. I don't know many if any people that couldn't come up with $20 (like I said you can do it for free if you are diligent and keep your eyes peeled for computers sitting on the curb on trash day) even if they had to put back 5 dollars a month for four months. Like I said it won't be a powerhouse but you can use it for the things people most commonly use computers for with relative ease, and can do a whole lot if you learn how.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by shizzle5150
I just wanted to point out that you can have a computer if it is something you really want. I don't know many if any people that couldn't come up with $20 (like I said you can do it for free if you are diligent and keep your eyes peeled for computers sitting on the curb on trash day) even if they had to put back 5 dollars a month for four months. Like I said it won't be a powerhouse but you can use it for the things people most commonly use computers for with relative ease, and can do a whole lot if you learn how.

True words, and yes, feel free to use this thread to explain to us how UNIX can be grasped and used by the common people worldwide, who don't even understand English.

Can UNIX compete with the "world penetrating" translation functions of the Windows' clan of OSs? No, Windows was clearly designed to penetrate the whole world, which is why languages and translation are a big part of Windows, right from the start. Security, was not.

I like your post and I am glad for it. Can you explain in your own words what might be the challenges of "Puppy Linux" in relation to a person who connects to "Internet 2.0" which will be upon us 4-5 years years from now?

Actually I would not be surprised if UNIX is isn't totally eliminated from the new Internet which Billgatus and chums are sketching now. M$ has always hated UNIX. Also the DNS schema has been ripped open to it's very ribcage. Those who follow such things know that DNS is now totally exposed... EXAMPLE: Soon you'll think you're on EBay, but it will not be EBay, but rather a FAKE which springs up just long enough to exploit a DNS hijack... This exploit would gather EBay data on millions of people, then drop silent. DNS is a mess right now, perfectly situated for all the "soltuion providing" going on now. Problem: (DNS is exploited/compromised), Reaction: (the people get screwed by IP exploits) Solution: (Fully M$ and Apple internet 2.0 by 2012)

UNIX got people this far, but is the child of engineers and scientists. It will fade when compared to the convenient New World which is going to be led by India, with Microsoft's support. Bollywood will probably want some sort of anti-piracy protection in Windows 8, so they've probably got that sketched in also.

Viruses will end this Internet. Your solution, while helpful in getting cheap computers out there, still won't stop Cyberwar. Opening XP and having a global movement toward awareness, might do that.

Thanks for your post, however. Every word you wrote is helpful and true.

[edit on 17-11-2008 by smallpeeps]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
My honest take on it is that Microsoft would never release their code they would lose their only cash cow.

Although my own perspective is that an operating system should be basic functional and above all else fast. I want my CPU and Ram to be working running the applications not being sucked up by the operating system and several layers of unwanted DRM.

The only reason I haven't bought a computer in the last few years is Vista I see no point in buying a faster machine only for Vista to make it as slow as what I already own. At the minute I dual boot between XP and Ubuntu and they do everything I want perfectly. As long as Vista comes bundled on PC's I won't be buying one and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who feels that way.

Saying all that though I am the type who kills off unnecessary services even in XP because I want as little running as possible.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I hear what you are saying, I am not arguing that the internet has some issues ahead. I am very concerned about net neutrality as it seems every time large companies are stopped form doing harm they just look for a different way to do it. It depresses me to be honest that one of the most amazing things we have done as humans is being set back (at least, maybe pushed to the breaking point is a better word) by people who look for profit above advances to the technology.

I guess helping people that can't afford (or thought they couldn't afford) a computer find a solution gives me something to be happy about when I see so much that I can do little about going wrong.

I never really took the language into account but the people that actively develop puppy linux have. At this point I don't think it is as strait forward as putting in the boot cd, connecting ethernet, running network config utility and you're off (like the english release). I do believe that as they work on it, it will be a viable option for people in other countries that are not tech savvy.

I have not yet worked with the wireless config that is in the newer releases but plan to try it out. I think if they get it working as good as the hard wired connection setup it will really be nice. You can get old laptops on ebay for $50 sometimes less. This would make it portable. Low income students could use them in school. Perhaps people in low income apartments could share the cost of the internet connection over six units and all connect wireless to help ease the cost of an internet connection that not all people can afford per month on their own..

I think no matter what OS you use, 4-5 years down the road there might well be things you or I never imagined to be a problem. Not to mentions the problems looming on the horizon just now.

I do not think that linux, unix, freeBSD etc. will be phased out anytime soon. While M$ might want that and mac might want that I don't think they feel threatened by it yet and I do say yet. Asus recently released the eee pc with a linux os from factory. I think that as linux becomes more user friendly more people will start using it. Ubuntu has been doing alot better in this department. Being a child born into the 80's (1980) I remember in school how everything was windows/dos. Looking back this really pisses me of that I was never introduced to other flavors like linux. Now as an adult I use linux (fedora) and windows xp at work. The hurdle to linux was just that a hurdle because I was never taught anything about it in school.

I am a proponent of puppy linux for 3 major reasons. 1. free 2. uses a fraction of the system resources of most os's available. (in other words makes obsolete/cheap/free computers usable for low income people). 3. you put the cd in and run it. I know alot of linux people who talk about all they can do with it but seem to have the attitude that if you don't want to dedicate the time (it takes a while even for advanced windows users to learn) to learning it it's not for you. With puppy linux you just boot the disk, run the network config tool (auto dhcp) and select the web browser from a very "windows like" start menu and you are browsing. If you use a webmail client you don't even need to go through the email account setup. This is in the capacity of most people I know to do.

That at least give you the ability to learn the rest of the things that you can do with it if you want to.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by smallpeeps

I'm sorry if I seem like a Microsoft apologist. Please believe me when I say I think Microsoft is a bad company. I just think that they have done SOME good things, especially in the way of making a computer more than just a toy, but a true replacement for everything from the radio and TV to the phone.

There are problems...really big ones with Windows, and many of them are probably nefarious in nature. However, Microsoft can never MAKE people use their operating system, and in fact, for many people, free operating systems like Linux will work as well or better.

For me, I am an experienced 20 year old computer user who customizes Windows from the installation and up to suit my wants. I have the skills to alter the system to do what I want it to and avoid what I do not. My point there is that if people want their operating system to act a certain way, a little programming knowledge goes a long way. It may not be fully legal, but no matter what M$ tries to tell me, I'm not paying one dime for electronic ones and zeros and not be told I cannot change it in whatever way I feel necessary. Making Windows XP open source would just be making what "pirates" and coders out there do anyway, legal. That's all....the only thing stopping people from messing with the XP code to their needs is some false belief that M$ is going to come knock down their door if they do so.

Also, and possibly in support of what you say, if my hardware allowed me to use XP, I most definitely would. Unfortunately, I have over 4GB of memory, which means I have no choice but to use Vista x64 (unless you consider XP x64 a worthwhile flavor, which I do not). If I was able to use XP, I would make it look beautiful while I was at it, maybe like Vista. Why? Because the look of a GUI is important to me, and Vista looks excellent.

[edit on 11/17/2008 by iceofspades]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades
I'm sorry if I seem like a Microsoft apologist. Please believe me when I say I think Microsoft is a bad company. I just think that they have done SOME good things

Yes, they have, in spite of their philosophy of "always forward" which leaves poor people in the dust.

There are problems...really big ones with Windows, and many of them are probably nefarious in nature. However, Microsoft can never MAKE people use their operating system, and in fact, for many people, free operating systems like Linux will work as well or better.

M$ Doesn't 'make' people use their products? They just control their market and eliminate competition --Which is practically HOLY, in the world of business right? Killing all other competition is great, eh? If Microsoft was a person, they'd be mentally deficient in their attitude toward humanity. MASSIVE blind spots!

Making Windows XP open source would just be making what "pirates" and coders out there do anyway, legal. That's all....the only thing stopping people from messing with the XP code to their needs is some false belief that M$ is going to come knock down their door if they do so.

The full code of XP is protected, not free. If it were released, you'd see vetted versions of free-XP with built in anti-malware apps, which are FREE. Your statement about coders being ready but not willing to horck-off M$ is fully wrong.

Also, and possibly in support of what you say, if my hardware allowed me to use XP, I most definitely would. Unfortunately, I have over 4GB of memory, which means I have no choice but to use Vista x64

I have grasped your tech-abilities, and yes, they are impressive.

Actualy, I'll be leaving ATS again, this time for longer, because this thread gets no attention from Mods and I have proven FULLY to myself that people here don't WANT to know what's up.

The elites will back up their data. The elites will have endless coffers to pay technical-whores to make their computers work. ...The poor have NONE OF THIS and so they will lose their data, get screwed and the age of free computing, on which this very website exists, will be gone.

WIRED: DNS is open on the operating table, some well paid techs try vainly to save it

In the future, I see this Internet gone and replaced by the slick new version of WindowsMAC 8 or whatever awesome name the ad-people give it, is the only choice. ...This Internet is in its final stages of life now and the cyberwar is gaining traction like a top fuel dragster.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by smallpeeps]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I agree, it should open the code like linux, and join the civilized, non-greedy world. Linux also has various forms of OS's that sell, albeit for a little less money than Microsoft sells for, such as Mandriva, Suse, Red Hat. Even Mac is less costly and because their software runs on a normal pc, with the right hardware (which is cheap hardware by the way), they should open source their brand of unix and sell the os for all pc's too.

But there is no reason for critical servers of any kind to even be on Windows. Many are on linux, which is far more secure.

The only excuse to even be on Windows is for people who play games alot, and that has to do primarily with their directx 9 or 10 stuff. For example, World of Warcraft, plays very well, even faster, on linux under wine. That is until their latest expansion was made, and now we have to wait for wine to catch up. So, for the first time in ages, my kids have to boot into windows to play their favorite game. For anything else, linux rules.

Edit to Add: which makes Windows just another game console, in the end, providing you have a good hp printer that has linux drivers.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by mystiq]

[edit on 27-11-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I seriously cant believe this discussion we live in a capitalistic society and someone has actually said we should just tell Microsoft that they have to hand over their proprietary secrets come on people that is just ridiculous these people work hard to make these systems and OS have you ever programmed it is not an easy task and Xp has almost a billion lines of code that needs to be checked and rechecked to make it work that is what service pack fix. vista is not that good i agree bad it is the bridge that will be used to Win 7. We have to respect MS for the advancements they have given us computer people and if you are running just to get your email and play pogo Linux is just fine only if your a gamer do you seriously need windows ubuntu is a great Linux program and OS so close to windows that most user once it is setup cant tell the difference and you have open office which can be used to open word excel and other office documents, Firefox is a way more stable browser and Thunderbird is great for mail.

[edit on 11/27/2008 by chimpy38]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Well, as many servers are moving to linux, which is more secure, and the only thing Windows is good for is gaming, they really should open source their code. They can still sell their OS, even linux has companies that are making millions selling their OS. Though, I, myself prefer mepis which is free. Capitalism is not a concept written above our heads in stone. And logic should apply here. No server in its right mind is on Windows.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I personally hate Windows Vista and I have the hardware to run it on this laptop and on my desktop.
Vista is an overstuffed, bloated, pig of an OS.
Right now, when I open Task Manager, there are 58 processes running, eating away at my 3 gigs of ram, Ridiculous!
Also, Vista somehow and for some reason makes multiple copies of things that you store on your pc, one reason i know is for the restore feature but ive found things in other places as well.
I have a 160 gb h/d on this laptop and I have 40 gb's free.
You may ask me why Im using it. Well, the copy on my desktop was a gift and I decided to try it, the copy on the laptop came with it.
If youve ever tried to downgrade an MS product then youll understand why Im still running it.
Microsoft doesnt like you to downgrade and the burned copy of XP that I have isnt bootable so I cant format and install that way.
The other two laptops that I had with XP had the re-install software on the second partition instead of giving me a disk.
I long for the good ole days of 98 SE and dos/command prompt, it wasnt as pretty but it got the job done with minimal resources.

Btw, making something open source does NOT make it less secure, if anything it will eventually make it more secure.
Firefox, which is by far the best browser out there, is the best because its open source.

[edit on 11/27/2008 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I am not sure if anybody read the article in the link I posted above, so I'll just quote the last paragraph --and this is from the dude who bought the Internet a bit more time. He says there's no hope. My solution presented here, would be the only choice, at this moment in time.

But implementing a massive and complicated protocol like DNSSEC isn't easy. Vixie has actually been trying to persuade people for years, and even he hasn't succeeded. Either way, the point might turn out to be moot. Kaminsky ended his Las Vegas talk by hinting that even darker security problems lay ahead. It was the type of grandstanding that has made him a polarizing figure in the computer security community. "There is no saving the Internet," he said. "There is postponing the inevitable for a little longer."

To the person who says "I can't believe we are here in this Capitalist society talking about stealing..."

[BEGIN smallpeeps Capitalism RANT MODE... 4.. 3... 2.. ]

...I will make this very simple for you: Ayn rand lied about a lot of things. Not the least of which was her very, very poor emotional understanding of her own psychosis and of the human mind in general.

In truth, there are most-likely several half-dozens of "John Galts" trying to cruelly and narcissitically thumb their nose at the poor in the next ten years. ...and all of them are probably as psychologically jacked-up as was Anna Rosenbaum, aka, Ayn Rand. ...I am not saying I do not have love for this woman, little Anna, who proposed that a person should be able to control the means of their labor, and that the socialist system is a lie. Yes, she was right about so many things. But, she had a cold, cold heart, and even though she had a love-furnace inside her (as indicated by her robust private adventures) she could not figure out how to tune in to the common man.... She did not provide any resource for those who get left OUTSIDE Galt's Gulch. The Eddie Willers' of the world, who protect the Master's secrets, yet get left out in the cold.

wiki/Eddie_Willers#Eddie_Willers

...All "isms" are part of the culture/property wars which are building pressure now. If you stick to your family and local culture, and do not attach yourselves to material things, then you will survive what's coming. If instead you worship Mammon, or wealth, then you will find what protection they afford, and what animals they call forward, to claim Mammon from you.

It is said by some researchers that Ayn Rand envisioned a religious character for her pro-Capitalist tome, Atlas Shrugged. They says she discarded such an idea as being "too hard to imagine". Logically, she couldn't do it, but her HEART knew that such a character was essential. Point is this: Worshipping money without merging it with the core irreducable human feeling of love/faith, will produce poor results. Anna was alone at her death, but psychologicaly far more alone than anybody can know.

Did Ayn Rand understand what we are learning today? Did she know that Sinking supertankers at sea (as her heroic illuminated ones do in her book) also causes little babies to starve by the thousands? I really do think think she did know, but couldn't figure out how to CARE. ...Her agents can surely respond here to explain here to me how she stepped over their graves to create that holy Capitalist heaven, Galt's Gulch.

So now we are learning (Thanks to those revealing manipulation of markets) that "bridges" get built by the rich, and over that bridge, flows the wealth of the nation which enabled the bridge. Now we are learning that M$ is building a bridge to India, and that people like Kissenger et al are envisioning a power grab and a glorious third-world order coming forward.

enterprisecorrupted.com/

But what I am saying here, is that the brakes could be put on, and you'd only have to shut down a few corporate offices to stop this roller coaster and spend thenext ten years hardening XP against the hackers. Hackers live next to you, and also in basements on the other side of the world.

Also, if this takes place, it must be without violence, or surely the M$ police will gun you down as is their duty. You'd need million-man march on Redmond for them to open up XP and they'd have to feel really afraid of their MONEY, not their lives. ...Also, Why is it that the state can imprison or even kill a human, but a corporation, is immortal, and cannever be truely decapitated? Why is it that individual humans are disempowered by the forward-moving wheel of Microsoft and Ayn Rand's contstantly consuming culture? Why does something good get made, then discarded, so that humans can have a more "pretty" computing experience?

If you ask tech to be pretty, and to entertain you, then it will quickly become a blade, having been sharpened over time, and imperceptibly pressed against your neck. What happens next, if you decide to own that tech? Well, I need not explain my position because the quote above does it for me. Bring this guy above to ATS and let's have him describe why he thinks the DNS exploit is the end of the internet.

This thread has very little discussion or "chewing" (as Ms. Rand liked to say) of the ideas presented. Maybe if I couch this discussion in fantastic terms, it'll get more activity? Lets see: Do you think aliens will ever give you better tech if you do not understand or try to control the tech they've given you? If you make yourselves into cows, and that's what you want to be, do you think you will not be accomodated? Actually now that I think about it, maybe cow mutilations are supposed to be symbolic of what has been happening to humanity.

Anyway, Happy Turkey Day! I'm off to help cook.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If you don't like Microsoft, and who does? Why don't you use a Linux distro instead?

That's what I use, and the new ones are true 64bit OS so you can use more than 3gb RAM. If youv'e got more. And Adobe make a 64bit flash 10 player ... but only for Linux, not M$. What does that tell you?

My machine is dual boot, so I can choose OS, but when I use XP, it 'aint as fast as Linux. Not by a long way.

And all the software is free. And most of it is better than windows programs. Very versatile.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
No, I agree, Linux is the fastest. And its free programs are outstanding. The only thing that windows keeps away from the masses of linux users is many of the games, though not all by any means. So its like a huge, spyware filled, resource hogging, game console. Thats its only purpose. It certainly isn't what a person would chose to run as a sensitive server for internet hubs, military, government or institutional information of any kind.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
its like a huge, spyware filled, resource hogging, game console. Thats its only purpose. It certainly isn't what a person would chose to run as a sensitive server for internet hubs, military, government or institutional information of any kind.

Yes, you are right as to what people might choose to run.

But what I am saying, is that XP in its controlled format, is perfect for the cyberwar, because XP basically puts a handgun into the hands of the common people. I disagree that the Windows XP OS is only a gaming machine, it is a superb human interface over a solid core (Dos/32bit architecture). If it were allowed to thrive in the wild, it would become verifiable and it would DISENABLE hackers from taking over the internet.

It cannot be argued that XP has penetrated the world. It CAN be argued as to what can be done with all those machines. Hackers know that John Public's machine is just waiting to be redirected or compromised. With DNS the way it is, there is even more impetus to let the user be asleep at their XP screen while 10% of system resources are silently used for other cloud-type PC shenanigans which hackers know about.

In a way, this Internet IS BUILT ON XP and the first-gen IP architecture under it. Hackers are the wave of the future, but hackers and coders are of the same cloth, so if XP were open, then recognizing and fighting bad apps (malware, IE electronic cluster-bomb) would be simple. The world could unite to save this Internet backbone, which has been built on UNIX but it would require control of the muscle in the people's hands, which is XP.

Notice how UNIX was never (and will never be) enough to make the common man tech-enabled? Super-users will say "So what if they common man gets left behind!" ...I say that is a grave error, and will produce tech that will end freedom of technology, outright.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by smallpeeps]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join