It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clouds in Denver, CO - OCT

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cmdraleon
I have studied Clouds for years .

Really? I do it as a proffesion

Their are Ships that are called Cloudships these are Spaceships in a Cloud formation that look Saucer shape or a large Mothership mutlilayered.

You can tell the difference between a reguluar fluffy Cloud and a Cloudship.

Actually saucer shaped clouds are known as lenticular clouds (or altocumulus lenticularis), and they do build layer upon layer in mountainous regions. Maybe you should brush up on altocumulus

And not all clouds appear fluffy, take cirrus for example. Created entirely of ice crystals, it appears often in strands and filaments

www.flatrock.org.nz...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
What type of cloud is this and what causes the colors? Thanks.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aislin

Those are fillery-clouds. And what causes the colors is Sol. You know, that giant burning thingy in the sky.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aislin

Cirrus and altocumulus.
The colors are caused by sunlight being refracted by ice crystals in the clouds.

Cirrus

[edit on 12-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by Aislin

Those are fillery-clouds. And what causes the colors is Sol. You know, that giant burning thingy in the sky.

I was hoping for a more intelligent explanation, but thanks.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Aislin

Cirrus and altocumulus.
The colors are caused by sunlight being refracted by ice crystals in the clouds.

centripetalnotion.com...:19:54/

Thank you, Phage. Then the ice crystals in that particular cloud are thicker, denser, more abundant (?) than in the adjoining clouds and that's why the color appears there and not in adjoining clouds?

The new link worked. Beautiful, beautiful example....thank you.

[edit on 11/12/2008 by Aislin]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aislin

More likely the orientation of the crystals to the direction of the sunlight rather than the density.

It is a purty picture, ain't it?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Aislin

More likely the orientation of the crystals to the direction of the sunlight rather than the density.

It is a purty picture, ain't it?

Yes, the placement of the ice crystals has something to do with it, but the size of the crystals also does. Iridescence (the correct term) occurs when ice crystals of the same size refract the light. So it is common to see it on the leading edge of cirrus and altocumulus clouds and is a good indicator that the clouds are in their development stage

Seperate Link if people are interested

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Okay Mr Weather Know it all...

Yes on the Iridescent clouds... some of my favorite

But was it HAARP that painted the T Rex?

I like this one...

And I do believe that this one is over your country somewhere

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
You know that Undeniable proof film, released recently with E.T?

Weell. That seems to turn white, almost like a cloud, strange cloude get my attention, and strange clouds going 400 miles an hour especially do.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

And I do believe that this one is over your country somewhere

That actually occurs in the Gulf of Carpenteria, its a type of roll cloud dubbed "The Morning Glory". Its great for gliding apparently due to the vertical displacement of air pockets before and after each cloud. They are amazing because they can be over 1000km's long and occur no where else in the world at the frequency they do here(normal roll clouds do though)

Despite being studied extensively, the Morning Glory cloud is not clearly understood. Regardless of the complexity behind the nature of this atmospheric phenomenon, some conclusions have been made about the causes of the cloud. Through research, one of the main causes of most Morning Glory occurrences are due to the mesoscale circulations associated with sea breezes that develop over the peninsula and the gulf. On the large scale, Morning Glories are usually associated with frontal systems crossing central Australia and high pressure in northern Australia. Locals have noted that conditions ripe for the formation of the Morning Glory is for high humidity in the area, which provides moisture for the cloud to form and for strong sea breeze winds to be blowing the day before.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 12/11/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

That actually occurs in the Gulf of Carpenteria, its a type of roll cloud dubbed "The Morning Glory". Its great for gliding apparently due to the vertical displacement of air pockets before and after each cloud.

Indeed!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

That actually occurs in the Gulf of Carpenteria, its a type of roll cloud dubbed "The Morning Glory". Its great for gliding apparently due to the vertical displacement of air pockets before and after each cloud.

Indeed!

Its also actually related to the type of weather I get where I am (Darwin). We call them gulf lines and they can actually bring us some cool moist weather, and occasionally powerful squall lines and thunderstorms

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Well, this is what really impressed me, but maybe because of what has happened after of it

Before the earthquake

Video: May 12 earthquake in Tianshui, Gansu half an hour before the sky in Choi Wan
According to reports, May 9, Mianzhu of Sichuan found a lot of movement flagrantly Lai Hama, Yasi on the road many, many people worry that there will be seismic. TV how to do » They claimed to be "responsible" and "辟谣" and invited several experts, the so-called "professional explained." "Experts" to explain Shayouqishi: Lai Hama move is a normal movement, and the earthquake did not necessarily linked, environmental change may be good, they must rushed to the new residential areas, the move of-ah! Overall, the situation is excellent, heaven Auspicious!

Do not know how many people watched on television's "Interpretation of experts" choose the peace of mind » Wenchuan Mianzhu in the earthquake and the masses of casualties and economic loss results were not disclosed, but one indisputable fact is:

A considerable number of indirect victims died of experts "to have Hunhun, Zhaozhao people," Hu's remarks and then I fainted!

Four major earthquake alerted of the Chuanwen Chuan most parts of the country, but fortunately there is located in remote mountainous areas, the majority of pastoralists living tents, the loss may not be too much. However, the matter from our side that earthquake prediction system, the news release system is seriously flawed. If this earthquake occurred in densely populated areas, earthquake administrative departments and television stations, and on television public "辟谣" those "experts" will not forgive the crimes committed!

After the earthquake, many know that "experts interpreted the move of Hi Lai Hama," said the angry masses: National Yang nest experts spend so much money to do our own custody a few Lai Hama effective!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

I still dont understand why iridescence is linked to the earthquake? Its got nothing to do with it. Sunlight refracting off ice crystals or super cooled water droplets in the atmosphere does not make the tectonic plates move, lol

In fact I saw iridescence last week and we didnt have an earthquake

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Phage, Oz, Zorg, and Internos,

Thank you for the information and the great pics and videos. The glider video is amazing. I would love to see the Morning Glory clouds.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I still dont understand why iridescence is linked to the earthquake?

Its not the iridescence that is linked to earthquakes, but 'earthquake clouds' It seems simply that in this case the lighting was right for the earthquake cloud to show iridescence.

This earthquake cloud was taken before the Kobe earthquake in Japan.

Bam Earthquake Cloud

This image of IndoEx satellite shows an earthquake cloud emerging from fault AB on Dec. 21, 2003, marked by a white arrow, by which Shou predicted an M5.5 or bigger earthquake in Fault AB within 60 days on Dec. 25, 2003 to the public. On Dec. 26, an earthquake of 6.8 Ms happened in Bam (28.99N, 58.29E), Iran (marked by *), exactly where the cloud had emerged.

Credit: GISdevelopment.net

The 7.8 Turkey earthquake cloud

These infrared images were from the IndoEx satellite from 6:00 to 15:00 on Jul.16,1999. At 6:00, a linear cloud appeared in a large clear sky near Sri Lanka. The cloud lengthened as it moved eastward, and then disappeared after 15:00. The length of the cloud, 800 km, suggested an earthquake of magnitude over 7. The tail (see 9:00) pointed to the northwest, and indicated that the epicenter would be in a region from Iran to Italy. However, the satellite images did not show the exact epicenter, and Shou did not know it until Aug. 17, 1999 when the 7.8 Turkey earthquake happened at 40.74N, 29.86E.

The M6.1 Afghanistan earthquake cloud

This image was taken from a composite of the GMS satellite, provided by University College London. At about 7:32 Jan.1, 1998, a hole with a line-shaped cloud inside appeared in a large weather cloud. The line-shaped cloud disappeared at about 16:25. Shou predicted an earthquake of magnitude larger than or equal to 6 in Afghanistan and its neighbors, with a coarse window of 25~41N and 53~105E from Jan. 5 to Feb. 18, and a fine window of 30~37N and 58~95E, from Jan.5 to Feb.4, 1998 to the USGS. The 6.1 Afghanistan earthquake at Rustaq (36.83~ 37.31N, 69.5~70.11E) marked by the tip of the arrow, on Feb. 4 proved the both coarse and fine predictions correct

The Union of Six Earthquake Clouds

This Infrared image of IndoEx satellite revealed a linear cloud, marked by arrow near 30S, 70E over the Indian Ocean at 10:00, Dec. 24, 1999. By this cloud, 550 km in length, Shou predicted an M7 earthquake over 20S in the Indian Ocean from Dec. 27, 1999 to Feb. 10, 2000, with a fine area window of 25~28S and 60~80E. However, not
one M7, but 6 M5 earthquakes occurred in this window on Feb. 9~10, 2000 (Prediction No. 38 in Table 5)..

Earthquake Lights
inamidst.com...

Curious cloud formations linked to quakes
environment.newscientist.com...

Unlocking the mystery of 'Earthquake Clouds' - how
they form & why - Are they accurate in prediction?
www.terraresearch.net...

The phenomenon is a type of earthquake cloud. For more information, read the Wikipedia article on it and check out the webcite for Zhonghao Shou. He is a chinese chemist who has been studying these for many years. I have been following his work for about 4 years. He spent many years trying to get the USGS to seriously consider his methods and findings, but they would not listen to him. He finally stopped out of pure frustration. Its a shame. His prediction methods could have saved many lives.
www.gisdevelopment.net...

This is a new work in progress for me, but you can clearly see the long thin cloud that precedes an earthquake. I think the iridescence on that day was coincidental to the light angle

PS You mean I found some clouds you know little about?

Couldn't resist

...---...

[edit on 13-11-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

reply to post by zorgon

The Kobe cloud looks like a contrail. Like this but lit up by the sunset.

As for the others, linear cloud formations are not at all unusual. What makes "earthquake clouds" so special?

Here's a satellite shot of the morning glory

These are all wave clouds:

These are clouds formed by a convergence

Long clouds are formed by a variety of conditions.
BTW, do you know what the Maori call New Zealand? Aotearoa.

(I will be upset if these images show up on livingmoon in some other context)

[edit on 13-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage What makes "earthquake clouds" so special?

No idea yet, I am not a cloud expert... the work is by Zhonghao Shou so don't shoot the messenger... and its a new idea. Just seems he has been pretty accurate.

Long clouds are formed by a variety of conditions.

A "variety" of conditions... Hmmm so if we had date time and location we could check with Iris or USGS and see if any earthquakes correspond to these clouds?

(I will be upset if these images show up on livingmoon in some other context)

and just when I was beginning to like you

[edit on 13-11-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

A "variety" of conditions... Hmmm so if we had date time and location we could check with Iris or USGS and see if any earthquakes correspond to these clouds?

#1: January 1987/12.35 UTC - NOAA VIS image; Convergence Line developed over the Gulf of Finland ... Negative

#2: 22 December 1986/04.35 UTC - NOAA IR image; Convergence Line over the Irish Sea ... Negative

I've been looking at some of Zhonghao's stuff. I haven't found any outside confirmation of his success rate. From what I've seen he lacks any level of meteorological knowledge. His "earthquake cloud" which predicted the Bam, Iran earthquake seems to originate from one of several mountain peaks over 10,000 feet immediately to the southwest of Bam. Large mountains are known to produce large cloud plumes as a result of orographic lift. I think he's bunk.

Are you going to start a thread at some point? This probably isn't the place for this. I'd love a chance/excuse to dig deeper.

[edit on 13-11-2008 by Phage]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join