It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would technologically advanced aliens have a need for religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The further we grow into the future, the more technological/scientific we become and the less god fearing our species has become as a whole. Just a few hundred years ago everyone�s daily life was filled with religion and the fears of what would happen to you if you did not heed god/gods will. People were murdered left and right for not buying into religion, but today it is becoming less and less a part of our lives if at all. I can only assume that as long as we continue to advance technologically, we will also have less and less of a need for religion to explain things in our lives.

Now look a few thousand or even hundred thousand years down the time line and ask yourself if this current trend will grow. Of course we will never live to see the distant evolution of our own common beliefs and customs, but what about an advanced species that may be visiting us? Could they have gone beyond their own need for a god figure in order to explain the unknown for them and used science to prove things that, at our current level of intelligence, we would consider supernatural?

Further more if they made themselves publicly known and stated that they have found that there is no god, would the religious organizations of this world refuse them and possibly say that the aliens were actually devils?

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Thats a question I've thought a lot about, and I think that religion will eventually deteriorate.

It will be a much better world when we can just believe in ourselves and throw away our vague superstitions. I think that if there is some kind of 'test' for humanity, then this would be it. Either we let religion hold us back (and perhaps destroy us), or we move foreward. Think of all the time we have wasted already.

The transition, though, is probably what will destroy us all. People don't let go of superstitions very easily. Especially the deep-rooted ones. It will be a long and strange period when this finally starts to happen, and wars will probably escalate when people start realising that it was all a lie. I give it about another thousand years before its really in full swing though. As I've said before, religions of the world (Im mostly talking about Xtianity) are EXTREMELY proficient at developing excuses for their continued existence.

Religion was created at a time when people looked around and had no idea what it was they were seeing. In many ways, we still dont, and thats why religion remains. We figured out long ago that lightning wasnt the wrath of god, but a common natural occurence, along with fire, childbirth, etc, etc.

It makes complete sense to look to a civilisation much older than we are to find out how useful religion is. My guess is that they would laugh at it in much the same way we laugh at the silly greek gods, and all the other old religions that the world has forgotten.

Soon religion itself will be forgotten, and the sooner the better. That, ladies and gentleman, is when we will finally be able to 'get down to business'.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well one thing is for sure, if aliens come to earth/are already here and want to control us then the manipulation of religious ideas would be their best bet. Especially if they want to get us to kill off one another. Nothing is as proficient a killing machine as a good old holy war.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
As time progresses the need for religion will dwindle. Currently, religion only holds us back. In the future those without religion will far outnumber those with religion and believers will probably die out.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I think they moved on and put it all behind them because they have proven it wrong.

second they have been here and that is why we have gods. but they don't know any.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
as youve pointed out religion was only created to explain the (then) unexplainable.once a civilisation reaches a point where it can explain natural phenomenon then itll see that religion isnt needed except maybe for symbolic rather than spiritual value.

interesting fact: most wars have been caused my differences of religion.any intelligent civilisation that values peace may throw religion out because of this alone (or perhaps have one religion instead)

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think religion will be replaced by an understanding and a merging with spirit.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I believe too that its most likely that religion came from an advanced race visiting us in the past. Perhaps to help 'push' us along. Its possible that their specific intent was to create religions, and screw with us. You know, stir the #, a little bit. Or maybe, its a test. Who knows.

If you think about it though, if its true that our 'gods' are nothing but another race of technologically advanced beings, then I guess it could be said that technology is god, and we should strive to understand 'god', serve 'god', etc. That makes more sense to me than not eating meat on certain days, or whatever other silly superstitions.

Maybe thats what they meant in the first place, it just got immeasurably corrupted over the years.

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
its not wheter they need it , but if they have it.

if they do, its spreading, if not then why are they here?
probably explore / learn. if they do, colonize.

adv tech and no religion doesnt mean they wouldnt look down on usthough...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
The further we grow into the future, the more technological/scientific we become and the less god fearing our species has become as a whole. Just a few hundred years ago everyone�s daily life was filled with religion and the fears of what would happen to you if you did not heed god/gods will. People were murdered left and right for not buying into religion, but today it is becoming less and less a part of our lives if at all. I can only assume that as long as we continue to advance technologically, we will also have less and less of a need for religion to explain things in our lives.

Now look a few thousand or even hundred thousand years down the time line and ask yourself if this current trend will grow. Of course we will never live to see the distant evolution of our own common beliefs and customs, but what about an advanced species that may be visiting us? Could they have gone beyond their own need for a god figure in order to explain the unknown for them and used science to prove things that, at our current level of intelligence, we would consider supernatural?

Further more if they made themselves publicly known and stated that they have found that there is no god, would the religious organizations of this world refuse them and possibly say that the aliens were actually devils?

Of course the ET's use religion to their advantage..how else to keep the technologically inferior [or unitiated] in the dark about such things.
Using the concept of God is a great control mechanism, don't you think?

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Streetwise]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Man, as we stand now, has an inate sense of right and wrong, good and evil if you will. Religion is the mechanism used to shape that morality and with a lot of success. This is easliy evidenced by the fact that there are religions on both sides of the fence.

If religion were to "disappear" or we were to evolve out of it, would we lose our sense of right and wrong? What would the world be like if man did not need to be accountable for his actions? Do you not think we would terminate our own existence? We are emotional beings, beings with a soul. To that end, I could not imagine the pain of existing in a world with no accountability.

Would aliens need this? Don't know. Don't have 100% unequivocable proof that they, in fact, do exist. Nor do I have 100% proof that G-d exists. Both require an amount of faith in order to believe in them.

My reaction to this question is whether there is doubt in the original poster's writings that he/she is genuinely interested in this subject or rather an attempt to discount religion as a whole.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
As far as we know, Religion is of human creation.
As far as we know, Technology is of human creation.

What makes you think that these aliens would think like us?

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My friends, we come from one source, GOD. I don't just mean us here on earth, I mean every race that exists. We are soul carriers. We have not
made the discovery of the scientific soul yet here on earth, but we will.
Religion as we know has done nothing but separate us on earth. The original writings were written with good intentions but not really understood, as well as being changed to manipulate by various leaders
later on. GOD can only do good from love. Evil does not exist like we think,
we make choices, right or wrong. Some will label a wrong choice as evil,
but none the less it is still a choice. There is a voice inside of you if you
listen carefully that will let you know we are all connected. We all originate
from on source. Soon we will learn the abilities to be able to connect with
our source through our superconcious. I am speaking of a scientific soul.
Yes, our soul exists scientifically. Aliens are our brothers and sisters from
other times and other places. Time is not only linear like we think, it
is vertical and horizontal and moves dynamically. We will cross the bridge
soon, and when we do we will gain an understanding that will give the
majority a choice to make. Let's hope it is a good one. I have faith that
it will be a good one. Humanity will change for the better. Understanding
is coming.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by digorius
My friends, we come from one source, GOD. I don't just mean us here on earth, I mean every race that exists. We are soul carriers. We have not
made the discovery of the scientific soul yet here on earth, but we will.
Religion as we know has done nothing but separate us on earth. The original writings were written with good intentions but not really understood, as well as being changed to manipulate by various leaders
later on. GOD can only do good from love. Evil does not exist like we think,
we make choices, right or wrong. Some will label a wrong choice as evil,
but none the less it is still a choice. There is a voice inside of you if you
listen carefully that will let you know we are all connected. We all originate
from on source. Soon we will learn the abilities to be able to connect with
our source through our superconcious. I am speaking of a scientific soul.
Yes, our soul exists scientifically. Aliens are our brothers and sisters from
other times and other places. Time is not only linear like we think, it
is vertical and horizontal and moves dynamically. We will cross the bridge
soon, and when we do we will gain an understanding that will give the
majority a choice to make. Let's hope it is a good one. I have faith that
it will be a good one. Humanity will change for the better. Understanding
is coming.

If you were wondering who gave forums like this a bad name, look no further than this quote.

digo, please.. please.. You have to understand not to enforce YOUR ideas on us, those ideas are of YOUR creation.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Ksnazdnzon

They are not my ideas, I am a student. I am not forcing anything on
anyone. Take my words or leave them that is your choice. Do you think
I could really give a forum like this a bad name by answering the title
of this thread by sharing things that I have learned? I invite any moderator
to view my posts and tell me that I am someone who is giving this
forum a bad name by sharing things I am learning. Again, I am not enforcing anything, nor are these ideas my creation. May peace be
with you my friend.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Whats the point of having religion when you are able to see everything as it is.These beings have direct knowledge.They reside on a higher frequency/vibration just like spirits.But for a manipulative agenda religion would be easy for keeping the masses in control.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Jonna,

I don't believe that they need religion at all.And surely,in my humble opinion,not as WE think of religion....but i still think that they will have their own questions about some of the problems we think about.You know,the small things like origin of life,universe,time and space

This was meant to be answer to your question,but reading the replies i have to add :

DjNothing,my thoughts exactly.But i don't think that the transition will destroy us "all"..i think is going to be very hard for the hard core religious believers.

Ksnazdnzon Doesn't it say here Deny Ignorance ?.I find yoru reaction to digorius post a little bit over the edge.If you might be the same like me,i don't think you hate "God", i think you're tired of the ones trying to tell you what God means( i look at it as a concept,sometimes that God could very well be my own power and my own brain,if it solves problems for me,or it gives me answers to my questions).After all,it doesn't seem to me that digorius was trying to push any ideas on us ( and even if he tried,he wouldn't have succeded
).He was just expressing his opinion.
My two cents.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Someone said that the ideas of right and wrong are innate in us. What I can say to this, is, right and wrong seems to be more innate in some of us than others. But (very important), it is not "right" or "wrong" that are innate, but the behaviors that form the basis for such observations. The way it goes is, through social learning, given sufficient time, even the worst wrong can be rectified.

So the aliens, with very long lives, would be very right according to our standards. Instead of religion, they would have some kind of moral system based on right and wrong as goals, not as inherent "first causes", as all our moral systems up to date (and religions more so, objectifying it as God).

Religions may be nothing but tools for edification of intelligent species with slow learning or short life spans.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bursuc
Jonna,

I don't believe that they need religion at all.And surely,in my humble opinion,not as WE think of religion....but i still think that they will have their own questions about some of the problems we think about.You know,the small things like origin of life,universe,time and space

This was meant to be answer to your question,but reading the replies i have to add :

DjNothing,my thoughts exactly.But i don't think that the transition will destroy us "all"..i think is going to be very hard for the hard core religious believers.

Ksnazdnzon Doesn't it say here Deny Ignorance ?.I find yoru reaction to digorius post a little bit over the edge.If you might be the same like me,i don't think you hate "God", i think you're tired of the ones trying to tell you what God means( i look at it as a concept,sometimes that God could very well be my own power and my own brain,if it solves problems for me,or it gives me answers to my questions).After all,it doesn't seem to me that digorius was trying to push any ideas on us ( and even if he tried,he wouldn't have succeded
).He was just expressing his opinion.
My two cents.

I realize God is a concept, and Digorius was just stating an opinion. But I'm sorry, this is probally the wrong forum to be saying this, but opinions with nothing to back it up are not really opinions but just nonsense, and that's all cool if nobody gets hurt or forces it on people, but I sometimes get carried away and type MY opinion.

Which is, to think logically about things, and don't come to conclusions from nothing but your own ideas, and there are countless reasons to think this way as well.

Anyways, As I said before, It is what makes the forum get a bad name and I wish people would keep all that fantasy out of it. I was the one denying the ignorance.

Oh well, It's still all cool.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I don't think any society should have religion.
Spirituality is a good thing. Religion and dogma is a BAAAAD thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join