It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MARS Phoenix mission canceled "NASA lost contact with it"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
*Snip*REPLY TO NAVEL_FC Look Buddy! or should I say Mr.Smarty Pants? Everything isn't a conspiracy, thats correct. When it come to Space IMO I don't believe everything I hear. Why? Because discoveries beyond Earth are to important to life on this planet, like Religion and other stuff. The audacity you have to assume "ignorance of some". How about yours? Sorry me and 'some' others are not Science Junkies. The Government hides knowledge from here on Earth, IMAGINE SPACE?!?!

Now about the expectancy of the Phoenix. I think they should of send it when they knew winter was a few months away (if possible).
Just look at Spirit and Opportunity they passed and weathered threw plenty of storms. If NASA couldn't learn nothing from that and build Phoenix more durable for what was to come, then their a just a waste of money I say. I could of told you their was ice on Mars.

They could of said "yea it would most likely live about 2 weeks to complete its mission and take samples and send the data back and its a wrap for the robot". On the other hand they could say that just to satisfy peoples curiosity, but then again they have another mission that people wont know about that could last years. Isn't that possible?

I leave you with this little fact...

Mars rovers, which were developed to last just few months, have far outlived their life expectancy.
Source: blog.wired.com...

[edit on 11-11-2008 by king Pop!p]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

No disrespect taken brother. Everyone has an opinion and see things threw different lenses. Check out how I replied to NavelFC. It would show you more or less how I see it.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by king Pop!p
*Snip* Look Buddy! or should I say Mr.Smarty Pants? Everything isn't a conspiracy, thats correct. When it come to Space IMO I don't believe everything I hear. Why? Because discoveries beyond Earth are to important to life on this planet, like Religion and other stuff. The audacity you have to assume "ignorance of some". How about yours? Sorry me and 'some' others are not Science Junkies. The Government hides knowledge from here on Earth, IMAGINE SPACE?!?!

Now about the expectancy of the Phoenix. I think they should of send it when they knew winter was a few months away (if possible).
Just look at Spirit and Opportunity they passed and weathered threw plenty of storms. If NASA couldn't learn nothing from that and build Phoenix more durable for what was to come, then their a just a waste of money I say. I could of told you their was ice on Mars.

They could of said "yea it would most likely live about 2 weeks to complete its mission and take samples and send the data back and its a wrap for the robot". On the other hand they could say that just to satisfy peoples curiosity, but then again they have another mission that people wont know about that could last years. Isn't that possible?

Mars rovers, which were developed to last just few months, have far outlived their life expectancy.

Wait a minute. I never called anyone ignorant. If that is how it came across, I apologise. That was not my intention. I certainly never assumed you were ignorant. SO I do apoligse that I have offended you. I never meant to do that.

Like you I am no space junkie. I will concede that the government does hide things. I just dont think this is one of them.

IF you dont think a machine that is able to survive a trip though space and a crash landing on another planet is durable then I dont know what to tell you. As a civilization we are only able to do so much. As I have said. It is just a machine, and with out some one their to repair and mantain that machine it is doomed to break down eventually. That is just a fact.

While you may feel they should have launched phoenix at a time when it wouldnt have to worry about winter. The fact of the matter is they didnt. I know that spirit and oppurtunity weatherd many storms. If I am not mistaken so did phoenix/

I will concede that it is possible that they may have a mission going on that they dont want us to know about. Infact I will even concede that it is plausible. However NASA is NOT a government agency. They are a private company who is contracted by the government to build and use spacecraft, SO likely is another story.

As for that quote you left me with, I agree. It has live alot longer than they thought it would. They got more info and data then they expected. SO much in fact that by the time they finsih going through it the will have the next one on its way. That is straight from Peter Smith (Basically He had alot to do with phoenix)

Once again I sincerly apologise that I offended you. I was not trying to imply you were ignorant.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

No disrespect taken brother. Everyone has an opinion and see things threw different lenses. Check out how I replied to NavelFC. It would show you more or less how I see it.

Ok now I am confused. How did you know to reply to my apology before i posted it?

I guess thats some type of error on ATS's side that put the posts in the wrong order?

But you posted that 14 minutes before my apologising for offending you. Bizzare

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I had a thread marking EACH time this Space Lemon acted up.

This thing had a wide-range of various ailments and glitches. I hope I didn't just humanize this piece of crap just now...

Thanks for the news story, but in my mind the decision that this thing would never do anything of any relevance (or at least as the scientists tease us with in the press release "for years to come").

This is a horrid NASA blunder, possibly the most disgusting display of negligence. The taxpayers deserve more than our government sending a can of baked beans to another planet as if the engineering decisions were managed by Corky.

End of Mission. I would hope more people get pissed off about this one. That is no small mess that could actually give more fire-power for Obama to cut down on spending for space missions.

Whoever was in charge of this mission should be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

For the mods - I'm going to link this post so if people wanna comment feel free to bring those links here if you feel, or leave comments on mine - I just want to keep this topic alive because it's such a political problem as well as a major letdown for humanity.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   

No! no! no! You misunderstood my friend. That was a reply to 'NavelFC who assumed I was ignorant. You make valid points. Like I said on my post b4 last, "everyone has an opinion and see things threw different lenses". No disrespect taken. You replied like a true gentleman with respect no need to apologize. Read the beginning of the post, it says reply to Navel_FC..

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

lol I made two post back to back. One for NavelFC and the second one for you.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by chetinglendalevillage

This is a horrid NASA blunder, possibly the most disgusting display of negligence. The taxpayers deserve more than our government sending a can of baked beans to another planet as if the engineering decisions were managed by Corky. End of Mission. I would hope more people get pissed off about this one. That is no small mess that could actually give more fire-power for Obama to cut down on spending for space missions.
I agree! That money could went to explore the Sea and the ocean floor for medicines, lost civilizations or something else.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
There's no conspiracy here for a change. The batteries drained due to lack of sunlight as a result of recent dust storms. Nights have gotten longer and winter weather has set in. The combination of these factors have caused the lander's batteries to drain.

NASA had actually anticipated this, although it was expedited by about three weeks by the dust storms. So, as per mission schedule, the Phoenix has died a premature death. But efforts would be made to re-activate Phoenix once the environment becomes conducive for kick starting the systems once again.

But according to NASA Phoenix is unlikely to resume its ops again. In other words they have resigned themselves to the death of Phoenix.

Cheers!

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Wouldn't the lack of sunlight freeze it supposedly? (just asking)

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   

No! no! no! You misunderstood my friend. That was a reply to 'NavelFC who assumed I was ignorant. You make valid points. Like I said on my post b4 last, "everyone has an opinion and see things threw different lenses". No disrespect taken. You replied like a true gentleman with respect no need to apologize. Read the beginning of the post, it says reply to Navel_FC..

OH, That explains alot. I thought you were referring to me. Some how I missed where you said where you said you were replying to NavelFC.

Oops. AH well. I guess I just unintentionally argued in support of navelFC's points with out even realizing it. Too funny.

Thanks for understanding buddy.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

*Snip*REPLY TO NAVEL_FC Look Buddy! or should I say Mr.Smarty Pants? Everything isn't a conspiracy, thats correct. When it come to Space IMO I don't believe everything I hear. Why? Because discoveries beyond Earth are to important to life on this planet, like Religion and other stuff. The audacity you have to assume "ignorance of some". How about yours? Sorry me and 'some' others are not Science Junkies. The Government hides knowledge from here on Earth, IMAGINE SPACE?!?!

interplanetary missions arent scheduled to go on forever! They do end, and they do have timelines! 2 weeks? is that a joke? missions like this are longer then 2 weeks!!!! and NASA did give a specific timeline, in the MONTHS. You dont know anything at all about how a mission is planned, you have to take into consideration where your going to land, terrain, accessibility to water ice in the case of phoenix lander, power source etc...

Since it uses Solar Power, when theres less sunlight, as there is at the region of mars where the lander is (which was selected due to the high probability of discovering water ice) the unit goes dead! Its no conspiracy, its simple science! Solar power = solar = dead!

as far as when they sent it, send it when they knew winter was a few months away? do you realize how long it takes the probes to reach mars?

There is no conspiracy here! it was always planned for phoenix to go offline evnetually!!!!
This has been known and I am pulling my hear out trying to figure out why some of you are trying to find conspiracy where there clearly isnt any! no evidence, no proof, no nothing and a concept some of you can not seem to wrap your minds around Solar powered = light = no power = no comms = we cant use it!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

OH, That explains alot. I thought you were referring to me. Some how I missed where you said where you said you were replying to NavelFC.

Oops. AH well. I guess I just unintentionally argued in support of navelFC's points with out even realizing it. Too funny.

Thanks for understanding buddy.

my points? my point is that there is no conspiracy theory involved in phoenixs going offline? how is that "my point". Thats been the scenario all along, this isnt some new un expected turn of events!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by chetinglendalevillage
I had a thread marking EACH time this Space Lemon acted up.

This thing had a wide-range of various ailments and glitches. I hope I didn't just humanize this piece of crap just now...

Thanks for the news story, but in my mind the decision that this thing would never do anything of any relevance (or at least as the scientists tease us with in the press release "for years to come").

This is a horrid NASA blunder, possibly the most disgusting display of negligence. The taxpayers deserve more than our government sending a can of baked beans to another planet as if the engineering decisions were managed by Corky.

End of Mission. I would hope more people get pissed off about this one. That is no small mess that could actually give more fire-power for Obama to cut down on spending for space missions.

Whoever was in charge of this mission should be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

For the mods - I'm going to link this post so if people wanna comment feel free to bring those links here if you feel, or leave comments on mine - I just want to keep this topic alive because it's such a political problem as well as a major letdown for humanity.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

how was this mission a blunder? we discovered water ice, and in addition discovered more about martian soil and its properties which in turn gave us better insigt onto how mars of the past was, which is what we needed to prep the mars labratory thats launching in a few years.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Yep! Soon the sun will set for the season, and the long cold freezing nights of the polar winter will begin. Snow and advancing polar ice eventually will cover Phoenix turning it into a derelict waiting for future manned Mars missions to exhume its parts as souvenirs!

Mission managers say they will attempt to reactivate Phoenix after next spring's thaw, but that's extremely unlikely.

Cheers!

[edit on 11-11-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Here is a quote from Phoenix Principal investigator Peter Smith

"Phoenix has given us some surprises, and I'm confident we will be pulling more gems from this trove of data for years to come," said Phoenix Principal Investigator Peter Smith of the University of Arizona in Tucson.

You have nothing to look forward to but years of new info coming in.

Roughly Translated...

"We've found another way of guaranteeing our paychecks for the next few years!"

IMHO the lander was a waste of time given it didn't have the equipment to find life. Instead they went in search of the building blocks, i.e. water etc.. stuff everyone already KNEW was there... Everyone except NASA that is!

Is it just me or have NASA become passé?

IRM

[edit on 11/11/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh

Yep! Soon the sun will set for the season, and the long cold freezing nights of the polar winter will begin. Snow and advancing polar ice eventually will cover Phoenix turning it into a derelict waiting for future manned Mars missions to exhume its parts as souvenirs!

Mission managers say they will attempt to reactivate Phoenix after next spring's thaw, but that's extremely unlikely.

Cheers!

[edit on 11-11-2008 by mikesingh]

Maybe it will just put it into a cryostasis until the sun comes back out

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by DroolsAlot

Remember this? It made me think that they created the toy-line (years prior) just to put this movie trailer out.

actually transformer toys were brought out either with, or shortly after the original japanese anime first came out back in the 80's. scifi, whether animated or live action seems to correlate to future realworld developments with a high degree of accuracy.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NavalFC

I guess you definitely know your stuff buddy! You must work for NASA and be right at the top of the chain of command. You speak so passionately about it as if you directed the whole Phoenix mission ( IDK may b possible)

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

reply to post by NavalFC

I guess you definitely know your stuff buddy! You must work for NASA and be right at the top of the chain of command. You speak so passionately about it as if you directed the whole Phoenix mission ( IDK may b possible)

This stuff isnt hard to learn! if you would have bothered to keep up with Phoenix as it was being developed and when it launched youd have known that NASA expcted this all along..
and even then some common sense goes along way in this.

Solar Powered machine - solar power = machine goes offline = comm systems go offline = no communication, cant use, dead.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join