It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "..." Conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Beware, friends, for there is a conspiracy out there that is right under our noses. A conspiracy meant to misguide. A conspiracy so wretched, so vile, so indecent as to make our eyes bleed when we see it.

It is the conspiracy of those who are trying to make us think that they are somehow smarter than they actually are, somehow cooler than they may actually be, and definitely more slick and reserved than they deserve to be called. Like these people are the cool 'hang in the shadows' type of people that they personally love to see in movies. They really show it, too, when they finally step out of their darkness to let us know what true wisdom and power is.

Be careful of these people. They will strike when you least expect it, but I have found a way to tell who they are-

After every sentence (if you can call them that- oh, and I do mean EVERY sentence), they do something odd. They don't punctuate with just one period, they punctuate with three or four or ten. I'll give you an example of what to look for-

"if you all only knew.....things are about to happen that no one could have imagined....those that didnt listen will really find out now....."

So keep an eye out everyone. It's hard to tell when they will strike next!

[edit on 10-11-2008 by GreyFoxSolid]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GreyFoxSolid

I am calling this man as one of them!!

Gordon Brown the unelected plonk

uk.youtube.com...

Simple but effective theory by the way

[edit on 10-11-2008 by XXXN3O]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Hmm... I don't know about this one...

Can't speak for anyone else but I type the same way I speak. If I would pause between sentences to think for a moment longer than it takes to inhale while speaking, I type an extra couple of ".." while typing. It's more of a trailing off of thought for me.

Star and a flag for you.

Edit to say: Well darn, didn't mean to kill the thread already.

[edit on 10-11-2008 by Jenna]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Well,i do too use many dots (that's how i call em,do you mind?!
).Are you sure you're right about this?

Btw,i'm pretty sure that if i'd type to match exactly the way i'm talking there would be even more....DOTS!

If you're right though this is the first conspiracy that i'm a part of (and i'm aware of it....finally!) so i think it deserves a celebration!

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
sorry homes... not going to buy into this one; I've been using elipses and semicolons in my informal writing for years; it's just a style thing..

your arguement is so shallow, and ridiculous; no one is trying to sound or look smarter by using punctuation; if anything, those who are punctuation purists would find this kind of informal punctuation a 'dumbing-down' of the prose..

fact is, most sane ATSers deal with the content of the prose itself -- what is said, how it is said.. nothing more..

out

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I don't really think the the 'ellipsis conspiracy' is such a pressing issue. The only time it really irritates me is when people use it throughout the whole post pretty much as a replacement for all other punctuation, and they even use it where they should be starting a new paragraph. This makes their posts quite hard to read for me, it gives them a feel of someone rambling incoherently.

I tend to use it myself when I want to add an air of mystery to a sentence, or when there is something that logically follows from what I just said, that doesn't need to be said.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The silence speaks volumes.....

Like in public speaking, the good speakers know when to inject pauses & when to rant
to carry a point or raise the crowd to keep them engaged

I have a theory that those who type in big massively long giant sentences and never break to
take a pause or punctuate are the ones we should be worried about plus to add those in the invisible council of CAPTIAL LETTERS for emphasis should be watched closely as they have aspirations of total world dominance but there's an even more sinster group
the all seeing smilie folk who riddle their posts with these annoying little faces then there's the paragraphless masses like alphabeltic screen gridlock or inner urban sprawl their writings would bring a tear to a glass eye and last but not least their is the speling Natzis who dig up people for typos and don't have the gumption to figure out the 'f' is direftly under the 'c' key.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreyFoxSolid
Beware, friends, for there is a conspiracy out there that is right under our noses. A conspiracy meant to misguide. A conspiracy so wretched, so vile, so indecent as to make our eyes bleed when we see it.

It is the conspiracy of those who are trying to make us think that they are somehow smarter than they actually are, somehow cooler than they may actually be, and definitely more slick and reserved than they deserve to be called. Like these people are the cool 'hang in the shadows' type of people that they personally love to see in movies. They really show it, too, when they finally step out of their darkness to let us know what true wisdom and power is.

Be careful of these people. They will strike when you least expect it, but I have found a way to tell who they are-

After every sentence (if you can call them that- oh, and I do mean EVERY sentence), they do something odd. They don't punctuate with just one period, they punctuate with three or four or ten. I'll give you an example of what to look for-

"if you all only knew.....things are about to happen that no one could have imagined....those that didnt listen will really find out now....."

So keep an eye out everyone. It's hard to tell when they will strike next!

what a tool....
is there anybody in that skull of yours?
nothing of what you said matters and you are so blind its sick.
You view things like a contest and you are fallen into their trap, your the same as them...
Go meditate and find your self, feed some birds... feed the starving
JB
USMC COMBAT VET

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
conspiracies are easy to see, yet you still allow them to happen in front of your eyes.

You even laugh with your friends quoting "who do they think they are fooling"

"YOU" thats who.......... (I count 10)

Its what they are all about that nobody ever believes.

People have been warning you way before the internet evolved, but those people are now safely locked away in mental hospitals....,,, (4 & 3 coma's)

Oh no "Secretum Omega" and the old secret language of "Hibiru", numbers and symbols, you have not got a chance of working it out............................................................................................. (you can count them)

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I use those to indicate in a quote that there was more material that has been left out. The quote shows the material in reference to my remark. Trying to follow the excessive quote ruling.

ellipsis (plural ellipses; from Greek ἔλλειψις "omission") in printing and writing refers to a mark or series of marks that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word or a phrase from the original text. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence (aposiopesis).

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Conspiracy suggests some element of subversion... none of us "..."ers deny it.

Thats right, to "..." is now a verb apparently.

... is not a full stop with superfluous dots (not "period", which is a ridiculous phrase).

... denotes a pause for reflection.

. full stop denotes a final end.

So while I understand what you are trying to say... I regard it as a waste of time, and ultimately a nonsensical criticism.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I am guilty of this myself. I find it adds an extra bit of tension.

For instance there was the day, many years ago, I was alone, at home, sitting on the toilet reading the newspaper. As I sat there, I suddenly became aware of the door handle slowly turning and looking up, I watched as the door creeped open and gloved fingers reached round the edge...

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
"if you all only knew..... (oh my GOD, what?!) things are about to happen that no one could have imagined....(
) those that didnt listen will really find out now.....(find out what, HOoooO-LEE FRIG!"

I think I know what the OP is trying to say, The '....' is not so much a pause as it is put there to let the readers imagination to fill in the blanks with there own reaction to emotionally add credence to the authors musings. The author allows the reader to inject their own drama with little effort and minimal creative writing.

I've got a scary story to tell....It involves a certain kind of people.....who write....stuff....with dramatic nothings, to.....

Yeah, it seems to be a technique used by hoaxers and new age *snip* shovelers, but....used right is excusable.

What....did I just....post here, I'm....

done for now.....

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-11-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jb0311NY

what a tool....
is there anybody in that skull of yours?
nothing of what you said matters and you are so blind its sick.
You view things like a contest and you are fallen into their trap, your the same as them...
Go meditate and find your self, feed some birds... feed the starving
JB
USMC COMBAT VET

Is this for real? Did some of you take this seriously? I was just expressing my hate for posts that way overdo that. I hate it.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The ones you really have to watch out for are those who know when to properly use a 4-dot ellipses rather than a 3-dot ellipses.

Oh, and those who put spaces inside their ellipses. . . beware!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreyFoxSolid
~snip~

It is the conspiracy of those who are trying to make us think that they are somehow smarter than they actually are.

~snip~

Just for the record, coming from an actual smart person, this doesn't work. Trying to make us think you're smarter than you are, that is.
We see through it every time.
It's kind of like an Italian shower...

Simply put, underlying stupidity, much like underlying smell, cannot be completely masked.

Just ask Sarah Palin...zing!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
if these people.....didn't use.....a pause so .....often....in a sentence.......i might mistakenly take them.......seriously. this would be...............................................................................tragic.

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Dont listen to him................He's a Disinfo-agent..............The truth is out there.....!

Only kidding, but this isnt a proven method, i know people in real life who try to pretend they are smarter then they are, it is done usually because of an inferoirity complex.

Look for their Archilles heel, something personal that they hate to talk about, then strike!!

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Oh that's so not fair...I type like this all the time.

And for the record I find that there are...for the most part, MANY MANY people here that are way cooler...way smarter...than me.

I have to laugh though...I do tend to overuse the "pause".

I ahve always typed this way. Weather I'm in BTS being a smarty pants, or in ATS being a smarty pants...

I love the Pause...and the Pregnant pause..........

Oh and this one too.......?!!? that's the pause with the WTF attached for added "ooomph"

It would be nice though if you would rather than look at punctuation look at content for clues as to whether a poster is "holier than thou"...or "above it all"...or terribly above average intelligence (in their opinion)

I feel so damn slighted now...

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I whole-heartedly disagree with the 'look at the content, not the grammar/punctuation/etc.' standpoint.

What a lot of people don't understand is that people in general look at grammar as a matter of seriousness. Ron Paul himself said once- "We used to men of letters."

In my opinion, the 'it's ok to not really know how to spell or punctuate' mindset is all part of the disinformation process. This shows them that we are all too willing to let them handle the serious stuff while we are over here saying 'hi how r u' to each other.

How are we to advance our goals if we look like a bunch of ten year olds arguing with each other online?

Content is good. Content done right is even better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join