It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Be careful of giving 'gift cards' this year . . .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
With the economy tanking and all the dire warnings about pre Christmas holiday sales sucking, many of us out here are considering the 'gift card' approach so those upon which we choose to bestow gifts this year can get the biggest bang for their buck after the holiday season is over and retailers clamour for any spare change that may be left over from the usual holiday spend-a-thon.

Two words of advice . . . be careful . . .

On Wall Street, lawmakers are talking about how "toxic debt" threatens banks and lending. Out on Main Street, shoppers better start thinking about "toxic" gift cards from companies that could go bankrupt. They won't be worth the plastic they are printed on.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

get a walmart gift card. they are not going ANYWHERE i promise, walmart will be the only store available someday, and Taco Bell will be the only restaurant.
but yes, don't buy plastic from some other, less stable companies. good wanrning, thanks for the advice, i never considered this before.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Add Mcdonalds to the safe list,people will want there cheesburgers when the SHTF.
gift card?

[edit on 10-11-2008 by all2human]

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is an excellent point.
If holiday spending is a bust this year, I reckon there's a real good chance we'll see more retail bankruptcies after the New Year. More than a few big stores are barely holding on as it is and will need to rely on Xmas to stay afloat. If a retailer goes Tango-Uniform, any gift certificates they issued are at a real good risk of being nonredeemable.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

I think Walmart is one of the reasons that the economy doesn't do so well. The last thing we need is for everyone to spend at a store that uses child labor and imports cheap products from China.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reasons to not give gift cards:
they expire
if they are lost the money is gone
stores charge a fee if used not used in a certain amount of time
they are an interest free loan to the store

27% of people a year who receive gift cards don't use them. stores make 8 billion easy dollars a year on unused or lost gift cards.

The trick is to not spend a lot of money on people. But one good simple present, instead of a bunch of cheap ones. Or do what I do and make stuff.

The greatest option of all? offer to donate to a charity of that persons choice. Or buy a tree in siberia or something.

do not do the star registries!!!! They are a scam.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Besides Wal mart moves in to a new area starts out with stupidly low prices forces mom and pop stores out, then sets there prices at what the want ...help the little guy buy wal mart

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by deadcatsrule

thanks for saying that. It reminds me that I wanted to say that the best thing to do right now is buy a gift from the mom and pop places.
I support them every chance I get, even if it means paying more.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Lots of those gift cards have hidden fees and expiration dates. They also make it harder to use it. What's a kid gonna do with a card his grandma gives him for Anne Taylors ?
What ever happened to giving a GIFT? It means I am thinking of you and I'd like to give you something. Not, here's some plastic, leave me alone till your birthday.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

get a walmart gift card. they are not going ANYWHERE i promise, walmart will be the only store available someday, and Taco Bell will be the only restaurant.

reply to post by Enigma Publius

Indeed. Salt, meats and real sex will soon be illegal. We can then go underground. Long live Dennis Leary!!!

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If you are going to give a gift card I would suggest doing one of the prepaid Visa's or MasterCards so that they can be used anywhere.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Ive never really understand why people do gift cards anyway.....

You take money that is good ANYWHERE, and turn into something that is good at ONE STORE.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
DANG i just bought everyone in my family circuit city gift cards! haha not really.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Excellent point which I never thought of. I have flagged this thread and hope to see others do the same. We need to get the folks who may not enter the Global Meltdown forum this information. It also would be a great thing to get the BTS posters this info as well, as many of them are probably among the gift card buying crowd.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I don't you gift cards at all, but then again in nation that revolts on debt that is the perfect gift.

And for walmart than to then and their cheap Chinese goods small towns are losing their small business, they are nothing but a big corporate monopoly.

I have stopped buying in Wal-mart for a long time now.

And not to offend anybody that likes to buy in walmart but the stores here in the south are dirty and nasty.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
You know the nicest gift I got last year was a small piece of pottery, a bowl, from a local artist. It could of cost five bucks but it meant a lot to me because it was local, like my friends know I support. And it was my favorite color. it was well thought out.

My friends always appreciate the handmade stuff that I make them. When my grandfather died of parkinsons last year, I made a donation to them for my grandmother.

I really think that charities, especially small ones, are the way to go.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

yea, well that is easy enough to say. where i live "town" is 30 minutes away. unfortunately i would spend WAY more money on gas if i also had to run around to 4 or 5 different stores once i got to town instead of going to walmart. i feel bad for those with small busnisses, but someone who has no money to spare such as myself doesn't have the ability to shop at their stores. if i had more money and time, yes i would spend my dollar at smaller more personal establishments, but i just can't do that at this time.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Give every one a survival pack to help them prepare for the economic crisis

But you are right on gift cards, they are a waste of money and you never know if you are able to cash them in. Next to that I do feel they are inpersonal and I have never given a gift card in my life (I'd really have to dislike a person to give them something like that)

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Very timely and good thread.

It makes me wonder about ordering gifts from companies on the internet. That might not be wise either.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I bought a tree in Siberia, but after a dispute with Russian authorities as to whether or not I had the legal rights to any squirrels that may reside in said tree. They confiscated it, and the squirrels, and sold it at premium to the next American looking to sell Siberian Trees as a Christmas present.

The did offer to let me rent a small pine in the Urals but it just wasn't the same....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join