It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has new physics been found at the ageing Tevatron?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Has new physics been found at the ageing Tevatron?

space .newscientist.com

Last week, physicists announced that the Tevatron particle accelerator at Fermilab in Batavia, Illinois, has produced particles that they are unable to explain. Could it be a sign of new physics?

First, they saw far more muons coming from the collisions than expected. But crucially, some of these muons seemed to have been created outside of the beam pipe: they had left no trace in the innermost layer of the detector.

Neal Weiner of New York University agrees. "If this is right, it is just incredibly exciting,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
If this is confirmed by other experimental data then its quite exciting as some models that predict this happening suggest it is a signature of Dark Matter.

"Their model posits dark matter particles that interact among themselves by exchanging "force-carrying" particles with a mass of about 1 gigaelectronvolts.

The CDF muons appear to have come from the decay of a particle with a mass of about 1 GeV. So could they be a signature of dark matter? "We are trying to figure that out," says Weiner. "But I would be excited by the CDF data regardless."

For the predecessor of the LHC this is very cool and shows that there are many many secrets that the LHC might show us.

New physics means new technological breakthroughs. Discovering the atom led to the nuclear bomb and nuclear energy, quantum theory has given us alot of the technology we use on a regular basis. Its interesting to think what these new breakthroughs might give us.

space .newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Interesting for sure, though I dont really buy "dark matter" as it is explained.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Wonderful, although I have no idea what breakthroughs it could result in, if it helps advance technology, then that is a good thing in general (unless they make some anti matter bomb from it etc lol).

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Outlawstar

The thing about dark matter is we know it must exist from our observations however there is no explanation for what it might actually be, all we have are theories yet to be proven. If someone can explain what it is they will probably get the Nobel prize and a shed load of money.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saf85
Wonderful, although I have no idea what breakthroughs it could result in, if it helps advance technology, then that is a good thing in general (unless they make some anti matter bomb from it etc lol).

Difficult to say what might come out of it. However consider this, at the moment we have a standard model of particle physics and some of these are responsible for all the forces around us such as magnetism but not for Gravity. If at the LHC we find the particles responsible for the force of Gravity we could potential harness this to create a anti-gravity machine. With this we could visit the stars. The possibilities are endless and only time will tell.

Sounds like Science fiction. Well remember the truth can be stranger than fiction

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They are experimenting and opening pandoras box the question that must be asked are they able to shut it? These are interesting times we are living in, everyday there is something new. I feel a change coming on.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I've been involved in particle detector design and simulation for a while, and that's very delicate business. The whole observation could be explained by an imperfect geometrical model in simulation, or by finicky inner tracker. I'd sit on the fence with this one, right now.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, if it is what they think it is... I am thrilled. One step closer for humans to extraction of energy from the plenum.

And if we can do that... We WILL have free energy, and if we have free energy, we can transmute matter (been done, lead to gold, in the 1970's - at enormous cost of energy), and if we can transmute matter, we can have all the gold and everything else we might want to make things with, and if we have that and robots/computers to do it all - everything we don't want to do - we will have no need for money, since everyone will have all they want...

We will find ourselves, for the first time in history, fully in an abundance paradigm. Our "slaves" will be technology, freeing us to follow our bliss.

And then cures will be sought instead of patentable chemicals (that also create issues to be treated with more chemicals)...

We will see ideas blossoming rather than cut in the bud by competition.

We will see people motivated by what they love to do, rather than by the need to feed, clothe, shelter them and theirs.

We will have organic, bug-free produce, with robots plucking bugs and weeds, and even cleaning the produce for us.

We will choose the level of technology we live with - whether we want to rough it on the planet somewhere, or live in anti-grav palaces in the sky...or anything in between.

We will spend our time with people we enjoy, rather than with those we must deal with to eke out a living.

The arts and sciences will flourish.

We can focus on love of one another, and let go the evils that the love of money bring.

So this news I greet with hope.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
I've been involved in particle detector design and simulation for a while, and that's very delicate business. The whole observation could be explained by an imperfect geometrical model in simulation, or by finicky inner tracker. I'd sit on the fence with this one, right now.

Yes it is important to note that this needs to be backed up by other experimental results however it is exciting to think of what the implications might be if it is true. Would you care to speculate on the what this result might show ? I'm not a particle physicist... yet so it would be nice to hear from someone who is more informed on the subject.

new topics

top topics

join