It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess what happened to me at my local DMV office?-(Hint: A passport isn't a valid ID!!!)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
First of all- I'd like to thank Lucifer Rising for being a 2 bit disinfo agent and govt worker here to tell us we deserve the crap we get slung in our faces....

Which disinfo have I offered? Stating that the OP cannot complain about the punk in front of her because they were not there for the same thing? Stating, as have others, that she should have had her SS card as required and this would not have happend? Stating that greg's friend that got arrested perhaps should not have broken the law?

Please explain how I am a disinfo agent. I really would like that cleared up

Secondly, I do not work for any government. I do not believe people deserve to get crapped on. I just do not think everyone should get to whine just because they showed up at the DMV unprepared and then could not get special treatment for NO reason.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I was married 4 years ago and went through a similar process to change to my married name from my maiden name. No matter where I went, I had to take originals of my Social Security card, Birth Certificate, Marriage License, & Drivers License to get my last name changed. Some places wanted another form of ID, so I give them my Gun Permit. Why people look at me funny when I do that is beyond me (it's those without a gun permit you have to be worried about). Anywho - it's ridiculous when you are already an American citizen, but that's the way it is. Even renewing my Post Office box this year at my local rinky-dinky post office, I had to give them several forms of picture ID, including my SS# (grrr, I hate doing).

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been brought up because I don't have the time right now to read the whole thread. As a reminder to everyone out there, Social Security cards are only valid for taxation purposes and social security benifits . Anyone asking for an SS# for credit checks, or anything else that isn't for social security benifits or taxation purposes through the IRS are breaking the law and subject to a heafty fine. And not just a fine for the company, the fine is directed at the individual, much like when the cleark at the 7-11 gets popped for selling smokes to under age kids.

You can go to the gov website and there is a form there for the sole purpose of fining people for asking for social security information. Print this form out and if anyone ever asks for your social security just pull out this form and take down all their information. This form is then sent in and the person gets a USD $1000 dollar fine.

we should all use this form more frequently.

Have a great day guys!

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I hand her over my Alaska license and U.S. passport. She said well do you have your Social security card? And I said no mam, my card is in my storage unit in Alaska. ( I mistakenly left it there) She said well you will need to get another copy and come back with that because I will need that to process your license. I said, "My passport could not have been issued without a verfication of birthplace and Social Security card. I said, I know this because I had to send copies of both when I submitted my paperwork for it back in 2002. She said I am sorry but this is not a legit ID for this? I said Are you kidding?!! I was born in this state, this country, look at the passport. She proceeded to look at the passport for a second, and said no, I can't use this. Please come back with a social security card.
WOW! can you believe this? Maybe I am being overreactive, but I don't think I am....I mean I have a perfect driving record, no tickets, no criminal background, etc. Please understand my Passport is valid and not expired.
This is crazy! please reply with your thoughts...

You're a whiner. Protocols are to be followed. Get your social security card, or a copy of it.

The end.

What does this have to do with conspiracies anyway? The last time I checked, ATS wasn't a whiner blog.

This site is really going down hill.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by logician magician

I do not understand either. When I got my liscense the first time. I had every form of ID I had read that I was supposed to bring. I got treated just fine, everything went as planned. I did not pull my pants way down, dance to my mp3 player or text on my phone or anything. All I did was what was required and I was given what I sought. Amazing isn't it?

to the OP:
I wonder if there is a similar conspiracy at your local grocer. Go in there with hand written notes instead of money. I am curious to see if they will let the punk in front of you with money get his stuff and then hassle you just because you did not bring real money. It might be your whole town.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Lucifer Rising]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think to state that this site is going downhill because of this thread is a bit much. the fact that our passports birth certificates etc. are no longer valid as ID may not constitute some peoples idea of what a conspiracy is, is not the point. there's loads of threads around that are not directly linked to a conspiracy. you need to look a little deeper than whats being said.
why are our passports not legal ID? is it because for most people these were given out before we were linked to a specific government ID number or perhaps it's the lead up to the push on ID cards, if we are told all our existing ID's are no longer valid we will have no choice but to accept the new ID cards,

just a thought not an argument.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whoswatchinwho

Reread the OP. This thread is hardly about whether or not our forms of ID past muster. This thread, like many others, is about someone deciding that they are being conspired against because they failed to do something properly and were called on it.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wrangell76

You should have asked for the moron's supervisor. I bet you would have gotten your TX DL. I would have pointed out that she processed the freak in front of you w/o visually verifying his SS#. I live in Dallas, and I have been to the DMV on a number of occasions and NEVER had a good experience.

The DMVs here are the filthiest places, worse than truck stop restrooms. The people that work there are about the bottom of the barrel when it comes to intelligence, politeness and manners. And aside from the 1 bilingual employee, I am usually the only one in there that actually speaks English. Half of the people in the DMV look like the displace homeless that are no longer allowed to live under the bridges. I recommend that once you get your TX DL that you ALWAYS renew via mail.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
reply to post by wrangell76

You should have asked for the moron's supervisor. I bet you would have gotten your TX DL. I would have pointed out that she processed the freak in front of you w/o visually verifying his SS#.

And the supervisor would have explained to you that, although it is not your business, the nature of that freaks visit did not require proof of his SSN. It merely required verification of it. They probably proved that at the arrest, trial, conviction, and most steps of the process back. The supervisor would then tell you that once you came back with the proper ID and obtained your driver's liscence, that you are free to have it revoked and when you are ready to get it back, you will not need to have you SS card with you then. Have a good day. Now go to McDonald's, I bet they do not give the exact amount of fries to everyone, maybe you can make a case there.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer Rising

Well, they didn't ask for my SS card when I got my DL#. What's up with that? is it a random check, like the airport?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Well, they didn't ask for my SS card when I got my DL#. What's up with that? is it a random check, like the airport?

Sure...or I can say this again. Different circumstances, different people, different situations. Is this really that difficult of a concept?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Not really difficult to accept. All I said was he should have been a squeaky wheel, it may have worked for him. Is that so difficult to understand? Sounds like you just want to be a hater. Seems like the OP has been grilled on here by most. Why I ask you? Simple advice would have been more helpful. Now I give my 2-cents and you want to grill me. Why I ask? Got anything better to do today?

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Aggie Man]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Nope. I am recovering from Halloween. Not really anything better to do. Why you ask? Because advice was given many times - "bring your card, look before you go, check to see what you need next time..." All that advice was rejected because it did not back up the OP's problem with the punk in front of her.

Advice was given and rejected, what makes you think you are any more helpful by telling someone who did not have what they needed to cause trouble over it?

And why was the OP grilled over this by the vast majority? Perhaps because most people do not feel that you should get special treatment for no reason, even if someone you feel is less deserving gets something you do not FOR A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT REASON.

Seriously, is the OP complaining that they were not arrested, had their liscence revoked, and had to pay fines and face punishment all to not have to provide a SSC at this one particular trip to the DMV? Is that the better alternative?

Then I have advice as well, go drive like an ass and break some laws in your car. You will then get a free pass at the DMV over your card the at least one of the times you will have to go back.

Or, how about you worry about seeing what you need to get done what needs to be done for yourself and do not worry about anyone else in line anywhere. If you had checked, you would have known you needed that card and would have waited until you had it, gone in and been done. Instead of worrying about what you needed, you are worried about whether or not the person in front of you had his pants up and was or was not listening to music, and apparently listened quite carefully to his conversation as you could explain so much of it in such detail.

Try this, it is simple, worry about you and yours. Get your s#*& together and do what YOU need to do. That punk in line is not living some wondrous fantasy life we should all envy, trust me. So get over the nice trip to the DMV he had. Get your damn card, go back and do it right and try not to spend so much time being concerned with everyone else's business.

There, I truly hope that helps.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Here in Florida there are so many non-drivers, unlicensed drivers (and illegals) that you can use non-photo ID like library cards, debit cards and check cashing cards (!?!) as valid ID at a number of places including voting polls and the DMV. I accidentally left an ID at home the last time I renewed in person and they let me use a college ID (which was 8 years out of date).

I think part of the problem is not only that ID theft is common, but that a lot of ID forms and paperwork have changed so much that they may not be able to authenticate it by looking at it. Just look how much American currency has changed in appearance in the past few years, I would not be able to tell you now if a bill is fake or not. From experience this is a very common problem between different states since forms really aren't standardized and all of them frankly look like something you could print on a home computer. Hence, the Obama birth certificate controversy.

It would be cheaper in the long run and solve a lot of manpower issues if the government were to standardize each form of ID and paperwork forms that could be personalized for each state with some sort of crest or watermark. My grandmother had a similar issue to yours this summer when trying to renew her passport, of all things. They didn't want to issue her a new one because she had thrown out her expired one.

I don't think they liked her cover story that she was joining the Underground Railroad of disgruntled retirees escaping to the prosperous shores of Guam...... jeez! LOL

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhain
I thought passports only prove citizenship.

We just had an election here and people attempted to use a passport when voting...no can do..it is not a form of ID.

Actually it is a form of I.D. - and over all the top player in the deck of cards as it were. (I cant walk out my house in Hungary without it...and Im not going country to country, and I have other valid forms of I.D. with me.)

Americans are just not used to Passports - my wife, years back, was asked to show her I.D. at a pub in Florida and they looked dumbfounded at the passport and asked to see a drivers license instead. (She did not have one, and it was quite ignorant of them to reject the passport...not looking down on them, just a fact.)

Just a different mindset and lack of exposure to this 'world' I.D. - leaving many with blank stares, etc.

But as one person pointed out, the thread is mis-titled, because if someone specifically ask for the social security number and 1 form of I.D. (which they typically do) then you need that social card.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
You need to bring in your Social Security Card, that's how the DMV works and they will not break the rule just to help you out.

Sorry mate.

Remember you are applying for a brand new, never before owned, Drivers License. Thereafter, you can renew and fix errors in the license without requiring your SS Card. But for now, you need to head back to Alaska and get your Card or apply for a Replacement. Which by the way, replacements have a limit, a serious limit that once you've reached you need to be born again to ask for another Social Security Card replacement. So I'd suggest you just go pick your card up.

Good luck getting your License and good luck at the DMV (Department of Douche Vags *replaces V with B*). I don't know what happened to the M word...

[edit on 1-11-2008 by jazket]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
dude, thats crazy...

I JUST got a CA drivers license... less than three months ago...
I'm pretty sure I didnt have to show them SQUAT.
They just asked em to write everything down on their form...
I asked them if I needed to show them proof that lived here, and they said NO! just write down an address!
I was shocked!
Then I had to pay like $25, and take their test.
Oh, once I passed, they punched a hole through my VA license, but never entered any info on it into the computer...

bad day for you man... it was easy for me...
oh, and i wasnt even a US citizen at the time...

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
dude, thats crazy...

I JUST got a CA drivers license... less than three months ago...
I'm pretty sure I didnt have to show them SQUAT.

The fact you got a California DL means squat when it comes to the requirements for a Texas DL.

Originally posted by Rhain
I thought passports only prove citizenship.

We just had an election here and people attempted to use a passport when voting...no can do..it is not a form of ID.

It is a form of ID and is acceptable to prove who you are. It does not prove where you live. The Canadian electoral system requires you to vote for a candidate in the riding in which you live. We do not vote directly for our head of state or prime minister.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

I think you are wrong. A passport is most certainly a form of Identification. It is a perfectly legit form of picture ID. As for the reason why it cant be used I cant say, but im guessing it has to do with an actual SSN printed somewhere.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Don't know if this has been posted:

ll original applicants for a Texas driver license or identification certificate must present proof of identity satisfactory to the department. (All applicants for a driver license must also provide proof of their social security number). All documents must be verifiable by the source that issued the document. There are three categories of documents that may be presented to establish proof of identity. Every original applicant must present: one piece of primary identification; or one piece of secondary identification plus two pieces of support identification; or two pieces of secondary identification.

A primary form of ID would be an unexpired US Passport. Look at the link below.

I think you got hung up because of not having the SS card.

www.txdps.state.tx.us... river_licensing_control/identificationrequirements.htm

I had similar issues with such in Michigan using my passport. I got downright indignant that no one seemed to want to acknowledge my passport inside my own country as a form of ID.

I hope this clears this up.

[edit on 4-11-2008 by pavil]

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join