It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess what happened to me at my local DMV office?-(Hint: A passport isn't a valid ID!!!)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrangell76
reply to post by ethann

You couldn't have said it any better ethann
It is so pathetic how our government agencies are so disconnected from each other.

Well that I agree with too. There could easily be one big arse database for all this stuff that all gov agencies (including DMVs) could have.

However, then people would freak out that the government is making a big database containing our info.

I think this is one of those "damned if they do, damned if they dont"

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

please reply with your thoughts

I've used my passport as ID at the DMV here in California. I've used it in lieu of a drivers license to open bank accounts as well. Though...to be fair, I haven't done either of these things recently. More like five years ago.

Is your passport a "new" or an "old" passport? I understand that they changed to a new system in just the past few years.

asking for his Social Security number

do you have your Social security card

I notice that you specifically say that for him, the number was enough, but she asked you for a phsyical card. If that's true...it does raise eyebrows.

My passport could not have been issued without a verfication
of birthplace and Social Security card

...ok, but understand that clerks are generally mindless robots. She probably had no clue what you were talking about.

She proceeded to look at the passport for a second, and said no

Sounds to me like she didn't know what it was. I would have asked for a supervisor. It's possible this girl was simply new, and didn't know what she was doing. If during her training she had never been specifically told about the possibility of people using passports for ID, or if during her training she had only been shown the "new style" passports, and yours was an old style, you can't really expect her to put two and two together and understand that it's ok.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This is not really about your SS card at all. In reading through all of the requirements, You Passport, your Alaska DL and ANY OTHER PIECE of supporting documentation from the list they provide would suffice. Perhaps the young lady assumed the SS card would be the easiest for you to get. The standards for what Texad requires are not hard to understand:

www.txdps.state.tx.us...

You should have looked it up before heading down to DMV and the whol problem would have been avoided

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Layla

You should have looked it up before heading down to DMV and the whol problem would have been avoided

Ahhh...the critic...obviously you must have some serious time on your hands, because I for one really don't. Today is an exceptionally slow day, otherwise I work a 40+ hour job a week for an engineering corp, as well as waitressing on the weekends. Plus, going home cooking supper for my hard working husband and kids. Getting everything laid out for the next day, spending time with the family,doing laundry, dishes, cleaning the house, etc. and pretty much then just going to bed. So, forgive me if I forgot to schedule, "looking up the drivers license laws of Texas" into my calendar.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wrangell76

I wouldn't let the schedule discrepancy thing bother you too much. I used to be an EE for an International Defense Contractor until the sitting at a desk go to me. The documentation you provided was sufficient.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealityisanIllusion

Thanks RealityisanIllusion
I know I provided adequte docs for the license. People just don't want to do their job. That is what it all boils down too...

I wouldn't let the schedule discrepancy thing bother you too much. I used to be an EE for an International Defense Contractor until the sitting at a desk go to me. The documentation you provided was sufficient.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Layla

Ahhh...the critic...obviously you must have some serious time on your hands, because I for one really don't. Today is an exceptionally slow day, otherwise I work a 40+ hour job a week for an engineering corp, as well as waitressing on the weekends. Plus, going home cooking supper for my hard working husband and kids. Getting everything laid out for the next day, spending time with the family,doing laundry, dishes, cleaning the house, etc. and pretty much then just going to bed. So, forgive me if I forgot to schedule, "looking up the drivers license laws of Texas" into my calendar.

Actually, no ma'am, I don't. I too work 40+ hours a week and take care of four children and a "hard working husband". Funny thing, though, both of us find time to come to this board and discuss this issue, don't we? In the time it took you to write up your original post, you could have looked up the required documents needed for a Driver's License in more than one state. Please do not try to condescend to me about how busy you are and how that just didn't "fit into your schedule" because the thirty seconds it took to google "Texas DMV", go to the site, click on one of the first links on the page that CLEARLY STATES it is the page for ID Requirements to get a new license would have saved you a ton of time AT the DMV, and posting here, and now going BACK to the DMV. That thirty second was just TOO much for your oh so busy life, but you were going to find the time to call the news because a DMV agent was doing her job and doing it properly? All that, when you're OH SO BUSY. Why not just admit that you were wrong and doing a tiny bit of research on the issue would have saved your ENTIRE DAY and freed you up to take care of all of your personal life business?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Layla

Wow, if I remember correctly you were the one condenscending me in the first place. I was just defending my self, which is fair. What did you expect? Me to bend over and take it from you? Yeah right!...I have been on this forum way too long and heard from too many critics like yourself to walk away like a coward. Have a nice day my dear...

[edit on 10/31/2008 by wrangell76]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Did it ever occur to you that instead of her "not wanting to do her job" she may not have KNOWN that a passport was acceptable (if it is)? I do I-9 documents every other day for my company some weeks, and I STILL have to ask if a document is acceptable, and check the list of documents on the back of the paper. Maybe she was taught in training that it HAD to be a social security card, because it's faster to just ask for that, instead of having to train her to look everything up on the passport. Instead of some huge conspiracy, or her being too lazy to do her job, maybe it was a case of bad training instead.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Yeah um.....you and the gentlemen in front of you were there for different reasons. You were both there to accomplish different things and were looking for different services. When they ask for a SSN without asking for proof, that means they have it on their screen and are asking for a match, or use that to pull up a record on file. Either way, he has already shown his SS card to them.

You are comparing apples to oranges. As much as I hate the punkass in front of me getting treated special, especially when he cannot dress and is dancing to music while texting, it is not always just because the DMV hates clean cut white gentlemen.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

reply to post by Layla

Wow, if I remember correctly you were the one condenscending me in the first place. I was just defending my self, which is fair. What did you expect? Me to bend over and take it from you? Yeah right!...I have been on this forum way too long and heard from too many critics like yourself to walk away like a coward. Have a nice day my dear...

[edit on 10/31/2008 by wrangell76]

Actually, my FIRST post wasn't an attempt to be condescending at all. It was an attempt at being helpful to you and the rest of the people in the thread that were still arguing the point. Perhaps you shouldn't be so defensive?

As for how long you've been on this forum, you've been on long enough to know that someone is going to point out something you should have thought of first...perhaps next time a response of "Thanks for the link, you're right, I should have done that first" would suffice, instead of assuming someone is trying to attack you. I've been around here a long time too (years), mostly sitting back and reading, and you know what I've learned? To research before I post, because someone is bound to do the research for me if I haven't. Deny ignorance, right?

You have a FABULOUS day. Hope it's not TOO busy for you.

Happy Halloween.

[edit on 10/31/2008 by Layla]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Are you serious? I have always been taught that when you do your job, do it well and to the best of your abilities, learn as much as you can. This woman, was able to take just the SSN from the guy in front of me, without showing it, but yet I am treated differently. She didn't even make an effort to ask a supervisor or co-worker if she could take my passport. The point is she didn't do her job.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Layla

I am not going to say "Thanks for the link, you're right, I should have done that first", if I don't agree with your post. And by the way sweetheart I have been around for years as well on this site. I know how it works around here. Thanks for the well wishes for my day. I will have an absolutely fantastic one

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Are you serious? I have always been taught that when you do your job, do it well and to the best of your abilities, learn as much as you can. This woman, was able to take just the SSN from the guy in front of me, without showing it, but yet I am treated differently. She didn't even make an effort to ask a supervisor or co-worker if she could take my passport. The point is she didn't do her job.

Again, it is clear that you feel some unkempt punk was treated better than you were. That is your problem here. Not that the DMV was lazy or anything else. You are mad that this punk with his pants down, beepin and a boppin to his music, tappin on his phone got better treatment than you and that is all.

Ok fine, were you both there to get NEW driver's liscences? NO.

NO.

NO!

You were both there for different reasons, you have no idea what records they already had on him, all you know is what they wanted from you.

Are you really jealous? So he got through the DMV faster than you today. He also has had his liscence revoked? Anyone come revoke your liscence for no reason lately? So obviously this kid has screwed up and is NOT better off for it. But today, he won the DMV race. Boo hoo. Seriously worth starting a thread over?

Let me guess what color this kid was too...

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer Rising

WHOA there! Race was never an issue in this discussion nor will it be.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Obviously you didn't bother to READ what I said. I said that maybe she was TRAINED to ask for the Social Security Card, because most people have one, and not that many have a passport. So it's easier to ask for what most people have and not what a lot DON'T have.

As for learning all you can, do you SERIOUSLY think that everyone works that way? Give me a break.
Most people do the least they can get away with and do no more than what they're TRAINED to do. If this woman was TRAINED to ask for the SS card, and didn't KNOW that she could accept a passport then why would she ask for one? Or maybe she's had so many people come in using their SS card that she forgot that a passport works too.

I guess you're saying that I and my coworkers are lazy and don't do our jobs right because we forget that you can use certain documents and have to check to see if they're acceptable.

It's obvious that you're only looking for people to feel sympathy for you, and to say "Oh I'm so sorry that happened!" and you don't care that maybe she was doing the job how she was trained. You just want to cry about how you were treated worse than some other person at the DMV.

[edit on 10/31/2008 by Zaphod58]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer Rising

WHOA there! Race was never an issue in this discussion nor will it be.

Wow, you brag about how long you have been at ATS and you cannot even properly quote a reply?

And by the way sweetheart I have been around for years as well on this site. I know how it works around here.

I did not say that you brought up race. I just offered a guess based on the slight bias in your descriptions. You made a clear image of the kid and how we should picture him, and you jump all over this -"I never said nuthin bout no race" and yet, you fail to address the obvious point already made twice now.

YOU WERE BOTH THERE FOR DIFFERENT REASONS, GET OVER IT.

Seeing as how he has had his liscence revoked, he has already and will continue to return to the DMV for many visits. He has gotten nothing special over you.

YOU WERE THERE FOR A NEW LISCENCE.

GET OVER IT

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Lucifer Rising]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Your taking this too personal...lighten up my friend. I never meant to offend you...seriously

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I will go ahead and do it then so we can end this, I know you are busy.

Man that really sucks. I cannot believe that happend to you. So someone at the DMV that listens to music and has a cel phone who lost their liscence did not have to show his SS card and you, who were there to get a NEW liscence, meaning NEW records created, had to show yours???????

That totally sucks. I cannot believe you were treated that way. I bet when he lost his liscence and had to go to court and pay fines and go to the DMV on the BUS over and over again, he was thinking about how lucky he is not to be you.

Welcome to the entitlement society.

Just think, all you have do to is get your liscence revoked, go through all that, and one day, you can walk in there, bobbin and textin, stick your tounge out at some ass that is there for something else as you are not asked to show the card they already proved you had once.

Keep up the good fight, strong, brave American.

The world is unfair and people like you and me gotta watch out. Before you know it, people with No liscence but MP3 players all over will soon be running through the DMV like a turnstyle while we... Oh, I never have to go to the DMV really and I can handle most it online since they have good records and I have a clean liscence. I guess this is just your problem.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucifer Rising

He didn't lose his license. You would have realized that had you read through the entire thread. It was "Revoked". He admitted as well to being arrested while standing in line and talked about all the fines he had to pay. She actually took out pen and paper and wrote down where he could go online and what places he could could get help from to get help. And I go up with valid ID's and she doesn't even bother to check if the passport can work?...please...enough said...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join