It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF dragons are real, how are they able to breath fire???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
some people, for some reason, that dragons are real...

ok...

how are they able to breath fire???

just a thought...

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think phosphorous spontaneously combusts in air. Maybe they produce this in quantity - like venomous snakes??

Really though, I doubt dragons breathed fire - though they obviously existed at some point since both chinese and mayan, and even european cultures refer to them.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have pondered this myself. I was thinking methenal gas. Maybe they couldnt poop, the gas and poop was expeled from the mouth, the teeth was the ignitor.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
hmm i was wondering myself about this so i did have a look around the net...

heres a great link that answers that excact

question..

hauns.com...

heres a snipppit of the link..

Is a fire breathing dragon scientifically feasible? You bet. Especially if you have an intelligent being creating it. As a matter of fact, with molecular engineering, molecular construction of living organisms, and genetic engineering you could easily create or farm almost any animal you wanted. The unicorn would only require taking a gene for the horn from a certain antelope in Africa and splicing it into the right gene for a horse. We have the technology to do this today.

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by asala]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
yea they could breath fire it is not that far of a stretch.

take spittin' cobras theory and say their teeth were made of flint or something that sparked so when they opened there mouth to take a dump all the fuel ignited when the teeth departed with sparks.

[Edited on 043131p://3104u by panchovilla]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This reminds me of the sequal to Dragonheart.
There is a young dragon being trained to spit fire. He stands there straining and straining and eventually a massive jet of flame bursts out ... from his arse. It sets fire to the village. Its not a bad film, but that is basically the best part.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
some people, for some reason, that dragons are real...

ok...

just a thought...

I'd never thought about this until I just recently saw the movie "Reign of Fire" (with Matthew McConahey - sp) where he's a bald guy in a post-apocalyptic Europe leading a group of freedom fighters against dragons.
The explanation they used, was that there were two pipes that came up through the dragon's throat (i forgot what they were, phosphorous and something else), and when they mixed, as in the dragon exhaling, they produced fire. "simple"

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I remember watching this cartoon a while back....

The explaination for dragons' fire-breating ability was that they ate some kind of compound that turned into hydrogen gas in their innards. This swelled their bellies and allowed them to float/fly.

When they wanted to breath fire they would force some of the hydrogen (or whatever the gas was) out of their mouths running their tongue along the roof of their mouths. The tip of their tongue and the roof of their mouths had a flint like material and would cause a spark igniting the gas.

Of course if they did this too much they would lose the ability to fly and would have to go eat some more of the compound (which was provided by dwarven miners). So basically dragons were supposed to be big floating gasbags.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Could be a number of things...

1. the fire-breathing is a false attribute...but the others are real enough...

2. the creature's breath was hot, then described as being fiery, and then misconstrued from there, etc.

or any other number of reasons....

Just like the unicorn, you have hundreds of different cultures all describing the same creature....it seems too much to be myth. We know that dinosaurs once roamed the Earth. It isn't unknown for once believed to be extinct creatures to be found. It stands to reason that surviving dino offshoots would easily be mistaken for dragons.....but simply passed before modern times.

PS-the movie Reign of Fire explained it quite well I thought.....fire breathing that is...

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think a hydrogen breathing dragon would be no more than a flying reptilian suicide bomb...

Yeah, in Reign of Fire, they made napalm or something...
I'm sure there are some chemicals that would spontaneously combust in air, though I don't know what they would be or how to find them.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
there are three different types of rainforest insects which breath fire (very small flame) due to phosphorus combustion.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Now, perhaps the whole idea of "dragons" has reptilian origins? Perhaps some sort of reptilian "beings" interacted with ancient chinese etc and this is the reason we now have legends of dragons?

Maybe this is also why a REPTILE tricked adam/eve in the Bible? Maybe this is why the reptile is supposed to be an ancient symbol for wisdom in some belief systems - those beings were worshipped by past civilizations perhaps? The reptile is a representation of Satan in some beliefs (Christianity also...).

This fits in nicely with the ideas circling around right now, that reptilian aliens control the entire planet from behind the scenes and feed on the emotional energy (and other) from humans, and breed us like cattle without the populace having the slightest awareness of what's going on. But hey... they're just silly ideas, nothing to concern oneself with, right? Maybe not..

It seems that by studying what records are available to the public about any and all ancient civilizations, it is possible to at least get a glimmer of a clue about what might've been the origin of certain belief systems and legends around the planet. Maybe "Extra Terrestrials" have been interacting with this planet for far longer than even Ufologists are willing to admit?

The entire SETI effort is as hilarious as somebody who suddenly decides to invent (or discover) the wheel in the 20th century - completely disregarding the evidence towards the fact that the wheel has been invented and around for many millenia. Knowledge protects, ignorance endangers.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
hey this is one big ant farm being bred and raised for something. and the point lilblam just made is ringing loud and clear in ear like never before. i mean we sure aren't trying to help ourselves(humans as a whole). we are just looking out for ourselves as individuals(demons in high places). but this is also the unified conciousness deal about everyone realizing the satan, dragons, and aliens.

brotherhood of the snake were the first ancient astronaouts to treat humans kindly. but everything gets twisted just like the message and word of Jesus.

i can't see it but my whole point was about the farming of emotion. which is what we need to realize. but i thought that is why we came here in the first place was to just experience. but the experience of the masses is something unpleasant perhaps.

[Edited on 3/29/2004 by panchovilla]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The Bombadier Beetle mixes chemical compounds to spray an explosive blast at predators. Fireflies emit light. deep sea fishes also emit light.
In the book of Job in the Bible it speaks of the Leviathan, that "coals of fire" leap out of its mouth.

Its quite scientifically proven that such things can happen. There are also mysterious chambers in some dinosaur skulls. Perhaps these contained chemical sacks that deployed the firey mixtures.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

Cos of magic silly!

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This discussion on the dragon has been insightful, but no dragon can hold up to the power of the gas Cloud (given that I have a lighter handy...)

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I have pondered this myself. I was thinking methenal gas. Maybe they couldnt poop, the gas and poop was expeled from the mouth, the teeth was the ignitor.

If dragons are from this world this is not possible, unfortunately. All animals need to have an anus

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Carbon, methyenol and phospurhous.

like the movie reign of fire, the dragon needed to eat somthing "charred" for the Carbon portion of its diet.

the dragon would have been an omnivor, eating both plant life and meat. its meal could have consited on a number of crops like corn or wheat or some other grain type crop, fence the crazy farmers always seeing dragons attacking their fields. by consuming grain based crops the dragon could ferment these materials in its bowels and produce methyenol. I think its seagul (?) droppings or regurgetations that can be powdered to get phospherous so there must be a chemical reaction in avions that can produce phospherous.

So if the dragon basically throws up the phospherous/ carbon mixture while it ejects methyenol from another gland maybe via the nostrils this mixture could produce flaming gloop. Sticky, with a high temperature burn rate.

Interesting...

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I actually read a book in highschool by a guy who was convinced that dragons were real, and backed up his case with a lot of good information. He also used a lot of bad information, too, though, so it didn't really work for me. But his explanation of "dragon fire" was a valid one.

Many chemicals, when combined, react violently, causing flame. For example, if you put sodium into water, you get fire. This guy's theory was that the dragon contained 2 chemical sacs in it's lower jaw, just like a spitting cobra's one. When the dragon would go to spew fire, these 2 chemicals would squirt out, and meet a foot or 2 from the dragon's head, sparing the dragon from the heat of it's own blast. He believed it was a kind of napalm type of fire, a gel that shot out which was covered in flame and would coat whatever it hit.

Not that I buy they ever existed, but if they did, that might have been how they did the fire thang.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
They eat the food at Taco Bell, not only do they breath fire, it comes out the other end as well!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join