It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF dragons are real, how are they able to breath fire???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
to give a possible explanation to how dragons might have breathed fire might actually be done the same way the bombardiar beetle does it.
check out this bettle, it can blow explosive chemicals out of its butt

I dont know if it did it the same way, but if a bettle can hurt its predators with many tiny explosions, im sure a dragon could have had the ability to breathe fire.

thanks

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IronMan
I think that dragons can't breathe fire because they don't exist.
Please excuse me for stomping on the thread, but I feel I must
say something.
Dragons belong in the world of myth, they may of existed in a
verbal exaggeration from descriptions of salamanders or Komodo
lizards or they may of been a flying creature of La-La land, but they
don't exist now.
Why oh why, does every thread have a connection with fictional
movies. Yes, the guy in Batman Begins fought dragons in another
movie, but he is an actor that got paid for taking part in a story
with great special effects... that's all.
Move on ATSers.

Oh, really!? An exageration that was made by nearly every culture on Earth, many years ago. So-called legends on dragons existed in many cultures in different continents so they couln't have had any relation to one another. And yet, the descriptions of dragons are all practicaly the same. Well......EXPLAIN THAT!!! Whether it's China, Poland, Romania, or the past North America, they ALL have thier own stories on dragons. Just what exacly makes you so sure they've never existed? They might have, they might have not. But there isn't any hard-core proof on that, now is there?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
yeah I have something to add to this last post. if dragons never lived, why do we find their bones in the dirt?
dragons obviously existed, and you dont know if they had the ability to blow fire or not. the bettle mentioned a few posts ago actually blows chemicals out of its rear end, that are explosive. if a bug can do it, im sure a dragon or two could have done it as well.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I Think It Would Be If They Cannot Expel Gas Naturally So It Gathers In A Small Duct At The Back Of The Mouth ( The Wee Dangly Thing At The Back Of The Mouth) Then Thier Wisdom Teeth Have A Flint Tipping And As The Gas Is Expelled The Flint Click Togther To Ignite The Flames. This Also Explains Why They Do Not Breath Fire All The Time!

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
well what if the firebreathing dragons had the ability to use explosive chemicals for the ignition and just breathing of certain gases from certain glands to be ignited by the explosive chemicals.

or what if they used static electricity (the eel used electric current in its body) to ignite the gases?

there are many explanations for this issue. we just dont know which one it would be.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Maybe there is a prove in accient drawings form diferent cultures that Dragons existed.
All reptiles ou mammals have 4 legs. Only insects have more that 4 legs. In old drawings we see dragons with 6 members (4 for locomotion and 2 for flying), and those drawings belong to distant cultures as European or South American. How such diferent cultures invented dragons so look-a-like? Maybe it's more than a coincidence.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Maybe there is a prove in accient drawings form diferent cultures that Dragons existed.

I have no doubt that dragons existed. if they could fly, I dont know if we could ever prove that, we would probably just have to rely on the drawings. but its a possibility. I wouldnt doubt that some dragons that fly or breathe fire or do both at the same time.
its possible.

EC

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
St Leonard’s forest dragon

One of the last dragons supposedly in England was killed by George that’s why his called St George and the dragon.
He murdered the medium size dragon that apparently had a heart of gold. Ah... because The Duke Of Norfolk the landowner of the forest who was visiting at the time could not get to sleep because of the noise and fireworks each night made by the Dragon.

On the autopsy report written it reads.

1. Dragon had two pairs of lungs. ‘We think they are lungs but one pair worked differently. It looks like one pair channels gas from the stomach area to the throat. Then up into the Dragon Nose. The lung chambers could hold about 20 litres of gas in each up to a pressure of 200bar
2. We found a large amount of rotting vegetation in the dragon’s stomach, which smelt, of methane.
3. The dragons bone structure had the same structure as birds (hollow honeycombed chambers that made the Dragons bone framework lighter so it was able to fly.
4. We found that the Dragon’s two top teeth had a metal type coating on them.
5. We filled a test jar full of methane and when the metal-coated tooth came into contact with the gas it ignited.

We have had many search parties’ come to St Leonard’s Forest looking for more dragons over the years.
It was only a couple of years ago a Japanese party camped out in the forest for two week looking for dragons and clues.
They were supposed to be they’re for a month but something must have scared them away in a hurray. Because they left everything there, tents blankets video cameras whaling ships Coverted for Dragons everything.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Anyone ever consider that they were called dragons because people had no other way to explain them back then. Most likely, I think, they were merely dinosaurs that survived extinction somehow.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Anyone ever consider that they were called dragons because people had no other way to explain them back then. Most likely, I think, they were merely dinosaurs that survived extinction somehow.

or maybe they were called dragons becuase that was the name for them and the word dinosaur wasnt made up until about 150 years ago. ( pretty sure it was around 150 years ago). but dinosaurs used to be called dragons. if you get a dictionary from before 1841, you wont find the word dinosaur.

EC

posted on Jul, 5 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
How Could A Spider Take Out Venom, Answer ?'s

posted on Jul, 8 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There is a theory about this. Dragons suppodely had an organ in there body that produced methane. They then eat flint, which is abundant in mountainsides, and the flint would go into another organ. When wanting to spew fire, they would release the sphincter of the methane organ, and this would flow into the flint storage organ. Muscular contractions of the organ would cause the flint to rub together and spark, igniting the methane. The organ would open and would flow up the esophagus out of the mouth. The esophagus and mouth would be lined with armour-like plating to prevent the soft tissue from being burnt. This is what I say. I think it is possible that dragons existed, and this is a possible theory for how they were able to spew fire.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I have a theory that there weren't really dragons. I think people of history were probably finding dinosaur bones and they didn't have a way to explain these enormous creatures so they put together what they thought the creatures would have looked like and they came up with dragons and then people started to believe dragons were real and it just grew into the stories we know today

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Actually, the first dinosaur bone wasn't discovered until the 1800's. Dragon's have been in folklore from around the world since the BC times.

Originally posted by cleasterwood

How could they have gone extinct with dinosaurs, when we have accounts made by people seeing them in realtime? If they were killed by the same way the dinos were, then no one would have seen them. Plus, it's impossible for anyone to have seen on in the era of dinos because there were no people.

[edit on 7/12/2006 by TheRanchMan]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 06:58 PM
link   
The way they show it in Ring of Fire is also a posibility.

In that movie, dragons spit fire by producing a 2 fluids in glans that when combined would spontaniously combust.

Binary explosives are based on the same princibles.

2 harmless fluids become highly explosive or combustable when mixed together and ignite either spontanious or by the slightest shock or contact with an oxidant, which can be air.

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
In lots of fantasy worlds there are dragons of different colors, which can spew out different things..

Green dragons - Acid.
White dragons - Frost.
Red dragons - Fire flame, or fireballs.
Blue dragons - Lightning bolts.
Black dragons - Poison.

Yes but we are talking about supposed real dragons. Fantasy dragons can always be written off as magical.

The dragons in Reign of Fire were plausible. The mixture of chemicals is a naturally occuring thing, and the ingestion of carbon (which burns like a mutha) would also add credibility.
Alternatively, the hydrogen theory is also good as it also could explain how they flew. The film which was referred to earlier was called the Flight of Dragons, and in it dragons ate limestone (more carbon) which when digested by the acid in stomachs produced hydrogen.

There was a 'documentary' broadcast on Channel 4 (UK) which followed the evolution of dragons. That claimed that the species evolved when dino's did, survived their extinction by becoming marine reptiles (like crocs), and some eventually moved back to the land and inhabited different types of habitats (hence the different types of dragon depicted. Chinese dragons are slender to let them manouever through forests easily, while Scandinavian dragons were able to re-evolve wings and roost in mountains).
The fire explanation given in this was similar to the hydrogen one, except that the dragons had a 'lid' over their throat (similar to the one which stops crocodiles swallowing water when eating), and produced methane. The lid was connected to a small protrusion coated in platinum.
When they wanted to breathe fire, they would produce an abundance of methane, exhale, close the lid (preventing backdraft), and as the lid closed the protrusion came into contact with the methane which kindled the fire.

[edit on 13/7/06 by JackofBlades]

posted on Jul, 13 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yeah, and that hydrogen may have given the chinese dragons the ability to float (because they didn't have wings). LIke the Hindenburg.

[edit on 7/13/2006 by TheRanchMan]

posted on Jul, 15 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
i watched this program once which described how they could fly, breath fire, survive until middle ages n spread across japan and china and everywere else around the world it was called dragons: a fantasy made real or something like that heres the website animal.discovery.com...

posted on Aug, 4 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I saw a show explaining how they could do this on animal planet. First they eat a lot of platinum and they have this bacteria that dissolves it and they store it in a sack and it ignites it and they breath fire.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I think that it is more likely that stray bands of dinos had survived the KT event and other disasters.

Over millions of years as humans evolved and became more clever quicker and less like primates, whos to say dinos that survived could not also have been evolving. some may have been species like (I say like because im not saying it has to have been that specific species, but something similar) a velociraptor which was similar in frame and is believed as far as i know to be somehow related to birds.

so what if at somepoint "velociraptors" through time eventually evolved wings, who knows maybe they at somepoint came into contact with humans. IMAGINEover time at hunters story-telling sessions they may have dramatised what they
saw, fought or heard (the whole fire breathing theory) :flame
ver years there culture may have had these stories told over and over constantly adding bits in every time it was told, leaving it totally misconstrued.

what if over time these "dragons" became smaller and smaller til you had todays BIRDS, different types of reptile and MaMMals. any of the rogue species that had not evolved so quickly were then killed off over many yeers.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join