It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IF dragons are real, how are they able to breath fire???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Like birds, dragons had a craw or pre stomach which ground its food, in order to do this he ate small rocks which helped the craw or gizzard to grind food through contractions of the muscular gizzard, they were omnivores, methane build up had to be expelled because they couldn't pass this through their systems. a large breath combined enough oxygen to make the methane combustible upon expulsion, the stones grinding in the gizzard provided the ignition spark, and there you have a fire breathing dragon.

posted on Sep, 21 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Here a some hypothetical answers to many questions about dragons,
personally i enjoyed this "documentary".

edit on 21-9-2014 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
There are many theories created b yscientists. Whomever, there are no animal alive who would be serve as an example of dragon's fire breath, since no internal organ's of any animal alive would be able to windstand fire at any temperatures.

My bet is that Dragons are capble of using methan gases and Hydrogen to produce large chunks of fire/explosions by using Oxyhydrogen. Some substances like Oxyhydrogen are extremely dangeours and can be set t ofire. There are some components of fireworks as well (H2SO4 if i recall) which when exposed to water would instantly turn into fire at very hig htemperatures.

posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Acid, fire, plasma or gamma rays. It must depend on the species... Interesting question of combining or mixing bio chemicals within sort of like spontaneous combustion but directed. Thats my 2 cents

edit on 10/8/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: they see ALL

The thing that enables Dragons to breathe fire is the same thing that allows people to believe they exist....Acid.
edit on 14-10-2014 by Collateral because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Collateral
a reply to: they see ALL

The thing that enables Dragons to breathe fire is the same thing that allows people to believe they exist....Acid.

Like that one still laughing. Ok if a dragon could breath fire it would have to develop naturally not what they eat etc. Let face it a serious case of indigestion isnt going to breath fire. So what do we have on earth to look to well there is one thing a bombardeir beetle. It ejects a mini explosion as a defense mechanism. so along that lines if foire breathing dragons exist its going to likely be a chemical reaction as well. Lets face it igniting methane would be more likely to blow a dragons head off than actually breath fire. So heres a link to the bombardier beetle i would guess imagine this on a larger scale.

The two reactant chemical compounds, hydroquinones and hydrogen peroxide, are secreted by specialized glands and are stored in separate reservoirs in the rear tip of its abdomen. When threatened, the beetle contracts muscles that open the valves of these reservoirs and force the two reactants into a thick-walled mixing chamber lined with cells that produce enzymes including catalases and peroxidases.

In the mixing chamber the enzymes rapidly break down the hydrogen peroxide, releasing free oxygen and catalyzing the oxidation of the hydroquinones into p-quinones.[citation needed] The reaction is very exothermic, and the released energy raises the temperature of the mixture to near 100 °C, vaporizing about a fifth of it. The resultant pressure buildup forces the entrance valves from the reactant storage chambers to close, thus protecting the beetle's internal organs. The boiling, foul-smelling liquid partially becomes a gas by flash evaporation and is expelled explosively through an outlet valve, with a loud popping sound.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimbo999

I think dragons are simply mankind's folk memory of living dinosaurs. There are plenty of reports - even modern ones - of dinosaur sightings around the world. The 'fire-breathing' ability was probably just a little poetic license on the part of storytellers over the years to make them sound even more ferocious...

They are probably long extinct by now. It would make sense that after long periods people would say that Dragons breath fire, just an exxageration of the folklore to make the animals look cooler.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: they see ALL
some people, for some reason, that dragons are real...

ok...

how are they able to breath fire???

just a thought...

Heart burn. EPIC heart burn.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Hydrogen sulphide passing over Platinum ignites, perhaps that's how it was done, although, where would a dragon get refined Platinum? This reminds me of a job I once had, there was an office worker called 'dragon breath' I think you can guess why!

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
According to Animal Planet. "A dragon chews on platinum with its grinding teeth. When combined with hydrogen, it combusts, producing fire".

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
well seeing how this thread is about a pretend animal, here is the pretend answer from the movie Reign of Fire.
as stated by others, in the movie they say that there are two glands that have two chemicals that the spray and mixed, which cause the fire. although they never said what they were, if they did i didn't catch that part.

man this has got to be one of the oldest threads i've ever seen brought back to life.

posted on Sep, 25 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Have you seen ancient Chinese long dragons?
It has a slender long body and a round bright orb at its mouth.
Guess what, they did not know better when they saw sky fireballs and UFOs with trailing smoke/cloud.

posted on Nov, 9 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lilblam

Not sure about ET but the Megalania is the giant ancestor of the Komodo dragon it's fossils were found in Australia and it should be noted that Komodo dragons are in fact the world's largest venomous replies/lizards.

Perhaps this was an inherited gift as the modern Komodo's venom either contains or is an anti-cloting agent.
edit on 9-11-2016 by ShadowFox9 because: Forgot to mention the last bit

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=468763]
how are they able to breath fire???

You are talking about ancient spacecraft.
Dragons are a mixture of spacecraft and dinosaur bones in ancient folklore.

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I saw it somewhere in a book on cryptids. The dragon bites off a piece of phosphorus laden rock and swallows it. The stomach acids dissolve the rock producing phosphorus gas. One good belch and wallah, fire!

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
All I know is that Puff the Magic Dragon lived by the sea. And frolicked in the autumn mist in an land called Honnah Lee. It was never mentioned whether he could breathe fire though?

And how dragons breathe fire is nothing compared to how humans turn into wolves, live for eternity by drinking blood, go around eating brains long after they are dead, or even visit magical lands by walking through a wardrobe.

I guess human imagination is not as bland as some assume?

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   
The other question is why are dragons the only species out of all the reptiles, birds, mammals etc to have ever existed with 6 - rather than 4 - limbs?

Perhaps they are aliens?!

posted on Nov, 16 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
The other question is why are dragons the only species out of all the reptiles, birds, mammals etc to have ever existed with 6 - rather than 4 - limbs?

That's simply not true. Centaurs have six limbs. Two human arms and four horse legs.

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Oannes

This is also how the dragons from the dragonriders of pern books create flames!
Good books!

posted on Jan, 22 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Let's not forget the six legged fire salamander that are said to reside in volcanoes.

=^.^=

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join