It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Change the Pledge of Allegiance???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I thought I would propose a simple change to the Pledge of Allegiance and hopefully get some feedback.

I am proposing a very simple change. Replace the word "flag" with "constitution". I was thinking it might focus citizen's and our children's minds on the foundation of our republic and not a symbol. Symbols, such as the flag, as we all know, are subject to manipulation.

FYI I have no problem with the flag...I am not a flag hater lol!

Changing the Pledge would encourage people to actually read and understand the constitution and become familiar with their rights and responsibilities as citizens.

The last change to the pledge was in 1954 when the words "under God" were added. So what do you think?? Just curious if you think this could have any positive impact??

"I pledge allegiance to the CONSTITUTION of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands: One nation, under God, indivisible, With liberty and justice for all."

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Maybe not replace word but add it to the pledge.
I pledge allegiance to the flag and the Constitution of The United States of America.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I propose one more change.

I pledge alligence to the flag and constitution of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands. One nation, under surveillence, with liberty and justice for the rich.

Just kidding but it does seem more honest.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Brilliant point leo.

Absolutely... "constitution" possess substance and content that most people are clueless about and our youth needs to have in full view (vs out of sight, out of mind)... whereas the flag is merely a symbol (void of practical use in comparision), which has multiple means depending on who you talk to.

I'd also like to see "under god" be replaced with something like "under reason"... being that logic and reason should be our guides to a brighter future, and unfortunately for most god has a tendency to get in the way of reason.

lol... and damwel i love the rendition. The only tweak i'd make is replacing "republic" with "plutocracy".

[edit on 23-10-2008 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The pledge to your country has always felt communistic to me.. then the god part really makes no sense with the country being founded by people wanting freedom of religion among other things.

Really it should be eliminated..

I have no pledge to this country, just like i have no allegiance to any other country, sure i live here, but i could up and move to Canada too or Mexico.. or across the pond for that matter.

If you want a pledge, recite the preamble to the constitution.. or the amendments.. the reason I live here is it was the freest country in the world.. now its looking like its not.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville
The pledge to your country has always felt communistic to me.

Have you ever lived under communist rule?

then the god part really makes no sense with the country being founded by people wanting freedom of religion among other things.

Freedom of religion is NOT freedom FROM religion

Really it should be eliminated..

Ummm....no it shouldn't

I have no pledge to this country

That is the problem with our country today ( I should say MY country and not YOUR country since you have no 'pledge' to it

sure i live here, but i could up and move to Canada too or Mexico.. or across the pond for that matter.

You should probably go then, if you don't have an allegiance to this country your not doing much good here anyway

the reason I live here is it was the freest country in the world.. now its looking like its not.

See above.

Thanks much.

Dorian Soran

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
As for the comment about freedom from religion vs of religion.. what if you believe in Alla or Buddha or are agnostic or atheist or a scientologist?

People left there countries for America as they were free to think and act as long as it didn't violate other peoples freedoms. That is what founded this country.

Most Americans have a very odd view of why people came here risking there lives on boats going where very few people had ever gone. The reason they came here was to get away from a tyrannical government and to do as they wished free from the controls of there existing governments, thus "the land of the free, home of the brave".

Now on that note, I'm American Indian, so I'm technically the first owner of this country, GET OFF MY LAND!!!

I have no allegiance to this government. Really I like America and think it should be open for any one that believes in freedom to be here, however its just a bunch of lines drawn in the sand by a bunch of people.. nothing more nothing less... get over it.

new topics

top topics

join