It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Good News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Rare Good News

news.bbc.co.uk

But good nourishment can prolong the life of HIV/AIDS patients by up to eight years, according to research by the World Health Organisation.

WorldFish has introduced aquaculture to 1,200 HIV affected families in Malawi - doubling their average annual income and increasing their intake of fish by 150%.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Just when all the news seems bad, I thought this seemed encouraging - we expect big title, high impact news to make the difference, but I can't help thinking it's things like this that will help us all.

Sorry, first post, been lurking ages but couldn't work out the password thing...hope it's of interest to someone.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
So our solution to a contagious epidemic is to enable the carriers to live longer.

There are millions of otherwise healthy people starving in the world, does logic not dictate that we feed them first?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well OK I didn't think of that. I did say I was new.

Quite apart from being encouraged that small scale, sustainable and sensible farming methods might be taking hold, I also thought it was good to see Africa making progress against HIV / AIDS

I've just been following the SitX type threads. and this struck me as being a bit more hopeful than buying as many cans of beans as you can carry.

On top of which, a parent who can survive longer than expected can support their children for longer.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by baughany

A flag and star for you, because this place has become such a Debbie Downer lately it's wonderful to hear good news!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
May I add to which

Given the amount of research ongoing, and the prognosis for people with access to the most effective treatments. it may not be an immediate death sentence.

AIDS passed the Western World by last time, but we were lucky. Any of us looking for the big epidemic could look at this as an amzing piece of luck for us.

If you read the article, the lady featured takes in children orphaned my AIDS

Not a hobby horse subject of mine by any stretch, but good news nonetheless - how many of us would dig a big hole and raise fish in it to help with their work in looking after orphaned children?!

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I agree it's good news, global food triage nonwithstanding.

The article also deals with a second piece of good news which is purely economic.

"But with the coming of the fish ponds, we had so much leftover to sell, I had enough money left over to buy fertiliser, with the government subsidy."

The foundations for long-term solutions to income, albeit minimal and very local, will help deal with the issue of poverty as well (at least for these few people).

[edit on 22-10-2008 by Oscitate]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Not to mention, AIDS was invented!!!!!

So for any good news to come from this, it would have to be "AIDS CURE FOUND"!!!!

Its really sad

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This does not belong here. No good news allowed on ATS.

J/K.

This is the first bit of positive news I think I have ever seen on here.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
But Iran discovered an herbal aids cure last year!!!!

english.farsnews.com...

top topics

join