It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

31,573 Alien Civilizations in our Galaxy

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

the OP never said the universe had only 31k civs. He said our galaxy has that many.

If you want to do it right why dont you take it to the multiverse? if true it means theres an infinite number of tech civs....

but it would be better if you could stay on topic as a previous mod requested

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
reply to post by Nohup

What your doing is actually anti scientific, the laws of probability and basic Math should leave us with the assumption that given prior results we can expect the same pattern to continue unless we encounter some reason to believe it should not continue.

I don't believe I have seen nohup shot down so quickly by another intelligent linguist like himself. I thoroughly enjoy your posts thanks for the words of wisdom.

In regards to the thread, the number has definately got to be higher especially after taking all the assumptions on board. planets,universes,solar systems, galaxies e.t.c

[edit on 24-10-2008 by franspeakfree]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   

the laws of probability and basic Math should leave us with the assumption that given prior results we can expect the same pattern to continue

to what pattern are you refering? i presume earth and its solar system.

we simply cannot decipher a pattern with a dataset of 1. Its impossible we havnt even found another solar system similar to ours yet. What if the kepler telescope returns a null result where does that leave your pattern?

if you refer to the priciple of mediocrity i dont think it holds when we look at the details of earth. Mediocrity states we are an average planet around an average star so when we look into our galaxy 80 or 90% of stars should be just like ours.

What we actually see when we look is that 90% of the stars in the galaxy are not like ours so we dont seem so mediocre after all. and thats just from 1 observation.

tech intelligence is not a convergent feature of evolution so as intelligent beings on this planet we are also not mediocre.

it doesnt really look too good for intelligence being common in the galaxy no matter how much i personally want it to be true. The universe is what it is. Our hopes and dreams will never change it

there is an upside to being rare it means the galaxy is largely safe for us to explore and colonize ensuring an indefinite future for humanity. Thats not such a bad thing is it?

[edit on 24-10-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Mike....I saw your last post....but you wanted to use the 'prolific' term "Universe" to imply 'millions' of species....

Problem is...this thread is about 'Alien Civilazations in our Galaxy'

Please, eveyone, remember that we live on ONE planet, so far.....out in the 'Suburbs' (so far) of a Spiral Galaxy...where it is likely OTHERS reside....

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
In all of this we do have to take into account Human arrogance/ignorance..

I bet there are a lot of those "Civilizations" that don't look at us as anything close to what they define as Civilization.

That would be my first bet why we can't find any others. It would be like drawing pictures in the dirt hoping to catch the attention of people using Cel phones.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

wow and STILL MORE fantasy!!!!

This site is becoming a laughable shell of what i'm sure the developers wanted.

Handfuls of ridiculous uneducated claims here...and i mean like almost every thread started.

Here is another example of a pedestrians myopic view on what the universe holds in store...love how all these 'Sagan-esque" posters preen themselves as they type such drivel. Tell me how did you come to this fantastic, yet exact, number anyway? what did ya do? read this little excerpt from a Sitchin book?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

Testimony is not credentials nor is it expertise in a subject. You are claiming your "beliefs" as facts, and you have no evidence to back up your "facts" whatsoever. Until you can provide solid, concrete evidence you should stop posting things as facts. It is super annoying to people trying to investigate these subjects.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by centralscrutinizer
reply to post by Wolf321

wow and STILL MORE fantasy!!!!

This site is becoming a laughable shell of what i'm sure the developers wanted.

Handfuls of ridiculous uneducated claims here...and i mean like almost every thread started.

Here is another example of a pedestrians myopic view on what the universe holds in store...love how all these 'Sagan-esque" posters preen themselves as they type such drivel. Tell me how did you come to this fantastic, yet exact, number anyway? what did ya do? read this little excerpt from a Sitchin book?

You seem to have great ease insulting others and yet your own posts show a distinct lack of fact, reality and intelligence.

Maybe when you can actually come up with a point which is worth the effort reading, people will be more inclined to take you seriously. At this point all I see is a rude person with nothing to offer but mindless ranting on a subject he knows very little about.

Ignorance is bliss for some I suppose.

If you dont like the theme, maybe another board might suit you better.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
That we are not alone is in reality a given...

Not so. There's a lot of conjecture, a lot of supposition, and a lot of hope that there is life somewhere else besides Earth. But there's not a shred of proof. So it is hardly a "given."

[edit on 20-10-2008 by Nohup]

Well, there's a 'shred' of proof from the recent Mars mission. I mean, for the scientists to say that there is liquid water there and that life may have or could still exist there is at least a 'shred' right? Just wanted to put that out there.

And truly, although your logic is pretty much dead on, how far out of our own solar system have we been? By the time any satellites we had launched out of it get anywhere we will be able to get there in a matter of minutes. In other words, we must depend on theories and logic. Logic states that in our own galaxy there are billions of suns with potentially trillions of planets and that there are billions, potentially trillions of galaxies in our univers....

Like I said, I understand your logic and must agree, but....

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
You know that some years back NASA commissioned a greek scientist to search for Space Cities, in the asteroid belts?

Now thats a very strange funding project for an organisation that claims not even to believe in UFOs.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Theres no logical way of determining 31,573 Alien Civilizations in our Galaxy.

Say you have a small pond. You stock 1 fish in it. A Scientist takes note of this. Then he stumbles on a huge pond. 31,573 times the size! He then surmises that theres 31,573 fish in there.

Truth is, there may be 100,000,000 fish, or no fish, you just dont know, because theres not enough information to make a credible conclusion.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by silver6ix
You know that some years back NASA commissioned a greek scientist to search for Space Cities, in the asteroid belts?

Now thats a very strange funding project for an organisation that claims not even to believe in UFOs.
Even if that is true, a city does not mean space travel, we have had cities on Earth for several thousands of years, and we could only perform space travels in the last 50 years, so not believing in UFOs does not mean that they do not believe in the possibility of the existence of other civilisations.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by silver6ix

Even if that is true, a city does not mean space travel, we have had cities on Earth for several thousands of years, and we could only perform space travels in the last 50 years, so not believing in UFOs does not mean that they do not believe in the possibility of the existence of other civilisations.

No offence but to build a space city in an asteroid belt you would need to be able to travel in space I believe.

Its true, in fact NASA have some very strange ideas. They have looked at the idea of building "floating bases" above the surface of venus, believing that theres a point in the atmospehere above the surface where conditions are similar to Earths. Again this comes form NASAs own research scientists.

NASA have some very curious programs and ideas from time to time.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by silver6ix

You are right, I overlooked the space half of "space cities".

Silly me.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
While I believe there are other civilizations in our galaxy i dont think there is 31k of them. Maybe a few hundred. Postulating 31k civilizations and run into fermis paradox.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join