It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colin Powell Endorses Obama

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I don't have any problems with Colin Powell. Let's clear that up. I don't have any problems with him endorsing Barack Obama. I don't have any problems with Obama, other than I don't know him.

I just think it is strange. It is certainly a coup for the Obama campaign, congratulations. But it is very strange.

Not one thing that has happened in this country over the last year makes strategic sense. Perhaps Powell figures that he is old and won't be needing any political favors in the future, so why not just go with my heart on this election. Maybe Obama broke him off a piece of the $150 Million he raised in campaign contributions last month and the offer was to good to be passed up.

But I remember how this site requires evidence or proof so I will retire my opinions regarding the strangeness of this Presidential election. Everything is perfectly normal.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bruxfain

Honestly,brux, I think it seems like nothing makes sense cause the 1st bush term was so damn disorganized.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Powell was in distress under Pres. "W." go see the film.

www.prisonplanet.com... html

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

And apparently President Bush recognize that and to prevent that from happening again to the next President he has created an early transition comitee that has been meeting with potential McCain or Obama staffers and the FBI has started vetting this potential staffers and cabinet members.

WASHINGTON — President Bush took steps on Thursday to deal with the aftermath of Election Day, issuing an executive order intended to govern a smooth transition to the next administration.

The order creates a council to coordinate the handoff of the presidency to either John McCain or Barack Obama. The panel will include officials from the White House’s major agencies and offices, including those overseeing national security, domestic security, law enforcement and the budget. Its first meeting is scheduled for Wednesday.

The White House said the council’s work would help speed the nomination — and thus background checks and confirmation — of hundreds of officials joining the next administration.

“It has probably never been more critical that a transition from an administration, from one to the next, is as seamless as possible,” said the White House’s press secretary, Dana M. Perino. The committee will be headed by Mr. Bush’s chief of staff, Joshua B. Bolten, who has already informally held discussions with representatives of both campaigns, administration officials said.

www.nytimes.com...

Well apparently he has learned something indeed!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am happy that Powell endorsed Obama and I trust the reasons he gave for his own endorsment and his critiques of the McCain campaign.

There was a time up until recently I was filled with deep anger towards Powell because of his speech at the UN endorsing the invasion of Iraq.

I was against the invasion but remember watching that speech and thinking..."Well if Colin Powell says this is true then I will give the administration the benefit of the doubt regarding Iraq". Until then I was completely against the invasion and did not trust anyone in the Bush adminsitration.

But because Gen Powell had been instrumental in rebuilding our military after Vietnam and seemingly restoring respect for our soldiers with the Powell doctrine and the promise never to repeat Vietnam.

Well I don't know what happened to Colin Powell if he was simply mistaken, bribed, blackmailed or all of the above but that speech cost America dearly. He was widely perceived as the voice of reason within the Bush administration. What a dissappointment.

I hope someday he will explain what happened but I know I will never trust Colin Powell the way I did before Iraq.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Powell sided with more moderate Senate Republicans in supporting more rights for detainees and opposing President Bush's terrorism bill.

A moderate Republican, Powell is well known for his willingness to support liberal or centrist causes

so i will agree with the flyer guy..he is backing him solely because he is black.

a republican backs a democrat for president...

common folks..its cause of there skin color sorry..but i see what flyer see's too.

oh wait let me do this also..after 6 months of obama supporters saying it.

more of the same BushBama policy's..tired ole BushBama rules! down with obama!!lol
i had to do that.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by beforetime]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So what, you're not alone in that BELIEF.

If it makes you feel comfortable. Because being rational is too much for you.

So be it.

But saying what you said about Powell and Rice, and you not understanding that it was a racist remark. It doesn't matter that you are expecting it or not, what you said was a racist remark!

And you suppose that Christopher T. Buckley is also voting for Obama because he's Black?

That you refuse to acknowledge your ignorance is typical of many Americans these days.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Areal51]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I just have a couple of questions and would like an honest answer.
Is your obvious hatred of Obama because he is black?
If Obama was on the Republican ticket would you vote for him?
Is it the skin color or the politics?

I will wait for your response.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Wow, I had no idea you were on such terms with Mr. Powell! He must share so much with you. What's his favorite color? Oh! What are his five favorite albums?

Give me a break.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I can tell you for a fact that the right wing has not liked Gen Powell for some time now. When he went against Bush on Iraq, we was looked at like a traitor. Just what I have seen on the right. They dont really care much. They should.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO

Wait, are you saying Powell is endorsing him because he is black?
That is messed up on so many levels.
Colin Powell is a genius in my book, I seriously doubt that he is going to make a decision like that based on skin color.
So I guess the rest of the nation will vote McCain if they are white and Obama if black?
Who should the other races living in this country vote for? They are out of options huh?

ANy one who works for bush and is involved in killing hundreds of thousands of people in the name of war is not a genius.. Far from it!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

You're full of crap!

It's not what people think, it's what you are.

You, yourself, willingly meeting the definition of a bigot and racist.

But I guess that would make you feel important. With all of your talk about not being alone in your beliefs, as if that validates the trash you speak.

And then you evangelize with the hopes of winning new recruits. You feel made because you don't challenge yourself to look deeper into what you, and those "others" you speak of, believe.

You've never been about denying ignorance. All along you've been promoting it. You're a phony, FlyersFan.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Who gives a %$#& about who endores who!! This is a 2 party system that is screwing the american people! If we do not wake up and vote out the incumbents and vote for the constitution party or libertarian we are going to keep getting screwed into debt and wars! Wake UP and MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Obama - Mccain - different sides of the same coin. This country dosen't have a chance for real change with a Republican or Democrat.
If folks like the ones argueing in this thread could realize this this country might have a chance.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by corusso]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

^^^I'm not saying that everyone is like that, but you're ignorant if you think that there's STILL not a lot of racism in this world, both ways. And if it was ANYBODY but Colin Powell I would say the same thing about him endorsing Obama because of his race, but I don't (or at least hope) that Mr. Powell would do that. But people, like it or not, there's A LOT of people out there who are still racists, most just don't openly say it. But I know lots of blacks who are supporting Obama for no other reason just because he is black, I even know white people who wanna be black supporting him JUST because he is black. So it goes both ways, I love the argument "blacks can't be racists."

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but Colin Powell has a tremendous amount of respect in my eyes. And it is NOT because he is endorsing Barack Obama.

I respect the man because I believe he wore his uniform with grace. When he realized the gravity of the crimes he had committed on behalf of Bush, Cheney and Rove he APOLOGIZED ON CAMERA to the American People. Even when the camera man was obviously receiving orders to turn the camera off, he demanded that it be left on so he could continue his apology.

Yes, there was little doubt that he was going to back Obama. But it isn't because of his skin color. It was because he is personally disgusted with Bush and Co and he realizes that McCain is part of the exact same problem he has already distanced himself from.

Editing to note that I may have made a claim I can't back up. It seems that Colin Powell's apology speech is no longer on the net. Maybe someone else can find it, as I know someone will ask for it. Surely some others out there saw it also.

(needs to start downloading key speeches instead of just referencing them)

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bknapple32

No offense but making that comment about being disorganized next to the picture of a dude who almost caused nuclear armagedon because he didn't know what he was doing is hillarious!

Vote Independent!!! Get rid of the incumbents!!

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by vanosman
Powell was in distress under Pres. "W." go see the film.

This is the best! I have laughed for a solid 5 minutes over this one! This is a liberal Hollywood movie, made by a liberal Hollywood director. How did you expect Powell to be portrayed?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Rush Limbaugh has made a statement regarding Powell's endorsement of Obama.

www.politico.com...

"Secretary Powell says his endorsement is not about race," Limbaugh wrote in an e-mail. "OK, fine. I am now researching his past endorsements to see if I can find all the inexperienced, very liberal, white candidates he has endorsed. I'll let you know what I come up with."

I did a search about Powell's past endorsements and couldn't find anything. Let's see what Rush comes up with.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join