It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's lead over McCain shrinks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Obama's lead over McCain shrinks

www.irishtimes.com

BARACK OBAMA'S lead over Republican John McCain has dropped by two percentage points to a lead of six since Thursday, according to a poll of polls carried out by the CNN news channel.

The daily sample says that 49 per cent say Obama is their choice to become the next occupant of the White House; with 43 per cent opting for McCain, while a critical 8 per cent are still undecided about their voting intentions, if they will vote at all.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I think this race is even closer than it looks according to all these Fox, CBS, and CNN polls, because all the "elderly conservatives" don't text in or go online to vote for McCain. They keep to themselves until Nov. 4th and vote republican, because of religious beliefs. That is how I think Bush got elected a second time (granted he was running against a creep), and thats why I think McCain will edgeout Obama this year.

www.irishtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

MBF

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I agree. The older population is less "tech savoy", but are more reliable to vote. I think the election will be closer than we are led to believe even though the media has all but sworn Obama in.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MBF

Ya, the media is pro-Obama. I'm for Ron Paul if anyone, but it isn't hard to see that the media loves Obama. But attacks from the media at Palin are justified if you ask me. She has had a few slips:

"They are also building schools for the Afghan children so that there is hope and opportunity in our neighboring country of Afghanistan." --Sarah Palin,

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where– where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border." --Sarah Palin, explaining why Alaska's proximity to Russia gives her foreign policy experience, interview with CBS's Katie Couric, Sept. 24, 2008

Obama and Biden are better at not getting themselves tangled up with their words...

I don't think either McCain or Obama are going to take the country where I want it to go. But one has to win, so thats what we talk about.

[edit on 18-10-2008 by The_Supreme_Chancellor]

MBF

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Supreme_Chancellor

I don't think either McCain or Obama are going to take the country where I want it to go. But one has to win, so thats what we talk about.

That is very possibly true. But I pick the way lesser of two evils, McCain. He was not my first pick, but he has paid a price by his service to this country both in the military and in government and I respect the man. They are pushing Obama way too hard and too fast and he just doesn't have the experience in my opinion. All his ties to organized crime doesn't help either.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Just watch it, its gonna shrink and shrink untill McCain wins closely or not. The time is just not right yet for an African-American president in this still racially devided nation PERIOD. That alone is troublesome. The Obama hype is gonna die just like his big acceptance speech was eclipsed by Palin. Something just tells that McCain has to win for better or for worst.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MBF
All his ties to organized crime doesn't help either.

Sounds like you have a lot of juicy information.

Willing to make a thread on ATS explaining all about all the various organized crimes he is involved with?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
What about McCains ties? Or does that not matter since he has more "experience"?\

Keating 5

Spoke at a rally co-sponsered by Acorn in 2006

Really, if you want to vote for McCain, that's fine, but don't JUSTIFY your vote by saying Obama does unsavory things that McCain HAS ALSO DONE! Just say your voting for the old dude and be done with it. Geez people.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Supreme_Chancellor

I think this race is even closer than it looks according to all these Fox, CBS, and CNN polls, because all the "elderly conservatives" don't text in or go online to vote for McCain.

I thought most of the polls were done by calling lanlines? Which are primarily elderly since younger generations often use cell phones exclusively.

They keep to themselves until Nov. 4th and vote republican, because of religious beliefs.

Sad but lots of truth in that

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cowgirlstraitup7
Really, if you want to vote for McCain, that's fine, but don't JUSTIFY your vote by saying Obama does unsavory things that McCain HAS ALSO DONE!

As far as I can tell from what I have seen the criminal and terrorist stuff against Obama is BS.

You said McCain has done the same though. Is it your opinion these claims are legitimate against both candidates?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
They both have been in a room with unsavory people. With McCain it's a little more than that, circa Keating 5. But good golly, you betcha, let's focus on a dude that did things when Obama was eight years old. In my post I was playing devils advocate.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Cowgirlstraitup7

Let's say my son was 8 when the twin towers came down. Or when the McMurrah building was bombed.

Should I then, by your ideology, think it is okay if, after he is an adult, he has Osama bin Laden or Timothy McVeigh as the person to launch his professional career?

and then, if my son ran for president a few years later. Would you think it was okay to vote for him, knowing who helped launch his career?

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I would love to see how you can correlate one of these candidates to a candidate that had his career launched by Osama bin Laden. Please do tell.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
As a Brit here are my two cents on the election. At the moment I have lot of doubts about McCains grasp of economics.

Does the Joe-the-plumber story matter? Probably not in terms of his background, whether he’s registered or licensed etc. - many people are likely to have used the cash-only economy, inlcluding members of the media who are now happily investigating him in apparent shock at his failure to fill in every form. He’s still a lot closer to the average American than the candidates are (indeed, isn’t that exactly why he got all those mentions?). Many will have met and used off-record tradesmen; few will have met presidential candidates.

What might matter, though it’s been drowned out in the fuss about the legality of Joe’s carrying on his business and dodged taxes, is which tax plan will help him. McCain repeatedly said that Obama’s wouldn’t. If, as seems likely, Obama’s would in fact provide tax relief for Joe-the-voter then McCain is going to be on tricky ground during the final few weeks.

I didn’t see the full debate but did see the opening exchanges. I have to say that I was amazed at McCain’s assertion that he would balance the budget within four years despite offering tax cuts for the rich and maintaining an open-ended commitment to the overseas military adventures, all during an economic downturn. That looks to me like an enormous open goal for Obama to kick the ball into. It’s not even as if the voters care all that much about balanced budgets. We’ve seen the political milage in the UK, that Labour made in previous elections about ‘Tory cuts’, speculating on how many closures of hospital wards would be necessary to give a small tax cut. That there might be no commitment, requirement or even inclination to do so is beside the point: it’s selling a believable picture of the opponent. And McCain is either economically illiterate or intent on massive spending cuts or future tax hikes. Still, Obama has to get the message across. If only he had some money in his campaign chest to do so. Oh, wait - he has.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I was too general , but you get the gist of my thinking...

I don't worry about anything like this, because usually, for every politician's accusation, there is something they don't want to tell you. But somethings like ACORN do make me wonder:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I am so sick of hearing about polls no matter how they are swinging.
Simple truth is that legitimate polling is done by calling residential landlines.
Now how in the hell are we going to get anywhere near a precise polling if so many of us now use our cell phones or college students who do not live at home or citizens who cant afford a phone line or elderly who cant hear the phone ring or people who are sick of answering the phone or people who just hang up or they are simply just not at home.
Regardless of who you are backing the polls just dont matter and never really have, so many polls have been dead wrong in the end.
The only way we will know where this country is going and who is the next President will be sometime November 4th or 5th after all votes are counted.
(or later if those damn hanging chads get in the way)

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Obama has enjoyed a free ride from the media since he started campaigning. This is just how they try to market a certain candidate to the public and without a doubt presents their interests at hand. You could say the same for Fox News, but there's only one Fox News as opposed to many more liberal media outlets to choose from. However, you couldn't be more accurate about the polls. They are simply unreliable. I sure as heck haven't voted in any political polls. I just registered to vote this year and my vote is going to McCain. This might be one of the closest presidential races ever.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Obama raised one hundred million dollars in September for his campaign.
He attracted 100,000 people today in St. Louis, Missouri, a state McCain should have had in the bag by now.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
MBF? Redhatty?

You have not responded to me.

Is this because you can't back up the claims or what?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join