It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stand up for what you believe in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Do YOU have the guts to stand for what you believe in?

Survival means far more than bushcraft and woodland skills, aquiring equipment, being a good shot with a bow...it means being a beacon to your neighbour, showing that you are prepared to lead others against injustice, tyranny, fighting for your community, all that and more

are you prepared to stand and fight?

I give you Tank Man..

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Wow I had never heard of 'Tank Man' before this, thank you for bringing this to ATS! Star and Flag for you, a very inspiring demonstration by this brave man.

This helps remind us all of how truly important one simple act can be. Just imagine what this world would be like if instead of a few individuals here and there standing up for what's good and just in this world, thousands did.

As far as me personally, I try each day to stand up for what I believe in, even in the smallest ways possible. I think people tend to get carried away with trying to do a drastic thing rather than countless little things. Everything we do makes a difference and if I had the opportunity I would only hope I could be 1/10th as brave as this man was.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

are you prepared to stand and fight?
I give you Tank Man..

First, like the thread, it makes you look inward...something we do not do enough of...

Here is where I kinda run into a problem...and this problem is a symptom of my enviroment:

I do not think a comparrison between an individual experiencing the level of oppression in China and an indivivdual residing in a Core state can be made...

I understand where you are going with this topic, and again, I appreciate it...

But I will not stand in front of a tank to make a statement...very little has changed in Tiananmen Square and China, though I myself think the actions of that student go beyond heroic...

Instead, I will work behind the scenes to 'procure' weapons that will allow me to blow up the tanks from a safe distance...I'm no good to the cause if I'm dead - and being a martyr doesn't bode well with my thirst for life...

And all those skills you mentioned need to be brought back...

it means being a beacon to your neighbour

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
If we use our imagination in the face of destiny,
If we do not fall to procrastination or hearsay,
If we value human life above party or tribally,
If we can admit wrong without starting a throng,

Then the west will be the best,
And the third world will have some rest.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander_Supertramp
As far as me personally, I try each day to stand up for what I believe in, even in the smallest ways possible.

That is the idea I'm trying to foster...doing what you can, in whatever way you can, to make not just your own space, but that of your communities space a better place to live, regardless of the odds, whether it be direct oppression under martial law, loss of basic power and amenity supply, or otherwise...as long as you keep a fire in your heart, a creative idea in your head and be prepared to stand up and be counted and lead by example, you will be doing far more than you could imagine to lift the spirits of those who are lesser prepared or are in fear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by chapter29
Here is where I kinda run into a problem...and this problem is a symptom of my enviroment:

I do not think a comparrison between an individual experiencing the level of oppression in China and an indivivdual residing in a Core state can be made...

I'm just as guilty of falling for the luxuries of western civilisation too...I'm no saint, but I'm steadily growing accustomed to fighting back at the authorities in any legal beaurocratic way possible and have a few victories under my belt for myself and fighting on the behalf of others

All i'm suggesting is that we look to our neighbours, and if we dont know them, get to know them, as a strong local community alliance can survive all but the worst....oppression is oppression which ever political colour you paint it..and if it comes to standing in front of a row of tanks....then I will

enough is enough is enough....I will stand against anyone who would seek to subjugate my community for what I believe in regardless of the consequences

...i dare, do you?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

All i'm suggesting is that we look to our neighbours, and if we dont know them, get to know them, as a strong local community alliance can survive all but the worst

I suggest we start here...

Outstanding literature...

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Holy Double Post...

[edit on 10/17/2008 by chapter29]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I suggest we start here...

Outstanding literature...

Damn well put!

as the song says..."just imagine..." and the rest will follow

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Instead, I will work behind the scenes

If that is your forte and skill-base then use it to an advantage...as long as you are acting for the wider community and its survival by doing so, then do so

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
One person can change the world.
An idea will outlive they that thought of it.
We need this person here, now!
I shed a single tear every time I see that.
There will always be hope in the world.
One person can have hope enough for us all.

top topics

join