It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 829
<< 826  827  828    830  831  832 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

So if I wanted to see the real state of the economy, what should I look at ? I'm spending allot of time on zerohedge.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyanhide

So if I wanted to see the real state of the economy, what should I look at ? I'm spending allot of time on zerohedge.

Zerohedge is really all you need... and this thread.

I also like Karl D.

edit on 5-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I read the article, I guess the post I did previously out line exactly what is been done in this nation with peoples investments, nobody is safe Vitchilo, take from one account to pay for short comes of other accounts and the cycle of debt keeps on going and liquidity is none existent.

It sound great for those that have most to gain, (the gambles) but for the rest of the trusting people that think they are investing in their future and their investments are safe they are to wake up to a rude reality when this type of gambling collapse.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Silver to da moon...and beyond ?

Checkout the new $20 "Canoe" coin from Royal Canadian Mint.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Soros says EU break-up would be catastrophic: report

A collapse of the euro and break-up of the European Union would have catastrophic consequences for the global financial system, billionaire investor George Soros was quoted as saying.

"Today, the euro is potentially endangering the political cohesion of the European Union," the Business Line newspaper cited Soros as saying in the south Indian city of Hyderabad.

"If the common currency were to break down, it will lead to the break up of the European Union itself. And this will be catastrophic not only for Europe but also for the global financial system."

The euro zone crisis is "more serious and more threatening than the crash of 2008,"
the Economic Times reported, quoting Soros.

In the near term, some of the euro zone countries may have to take more austerity measures because of the imbalances between the "creditor and the debtor countries," Soros said at a business school event, the Mint newspaper reported.

"Unfortunately, they haven't yet solved the acute financial crisis and that is causing the situation to deteriorate...and (it) is not at all clear it will have a solution," he said.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
A sign of things to come....

Italian 10-year yield rises back above 7%

Italian and Spanish government bonds were under pressure Friday, pushing up yields as both countries prepared to auction debt next week in a key test of market confidence. The yield on 10-year Italian government bonds rose back above the 7% level to trade at 7.11%, a rise of 16 basis points. Borrowing costs above 7% are widely seen as unsustainable over the long run. Spain's 10-year bond yield rose by around 5 basis points to 5.63%. A basis point is a hundredth of a percentage point.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

US economy creates 200,000 jobs in December

Everything is peachy. Nothing to worry about.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The US economy created 200,000 jobs in December, marking the sixth month in a row of gains, official figures show.

The rise was much more than expected. Analysts had forecast an increase of about 150,000 jobs.

The unemployment rate dropped to 8.5%, which was the lowest level in nearly three years, from a revised 8.7% in November, the Labor Department said.

Aha! Beat this!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
All covered up by now :cool

money.cnn.com...

Brutal losses in state and local jobs

Nearly 250,000 state and local government employees lost their jobs in 2011, with the ax falling particularly hard on public school teachers.

And the bleeding is likely to continue in 2012, experts say.

These numbers stand in stark contrast to the private sector, which gained 1.6 million. The December unemployment rate fell to 8.5% after the economy added 200,000 jobs, the Labor Department reported Friday.

Things were not as rosy in the public sector. Some 181,000 local workers and 63,000 of their state peers were let go last year as the economic downturn continued to wreak havoc on government budgets. Teachers accounted for 113,000 of those losses.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
What on earth does this mean?? What does this mean for investors of this auction? And more importantly perhaps, what does this indicate more broadly?

Germany Gets Negative Yield for First Time in Auction

Germany sold 3.9 billion euros of six-month Bubills on Monday at a yield of -0.0122 percent, the first auction with a negative yield.

Bundesbank data showed the auction drew bids for 1.8 times the amount on offer, compared with 3.8 times at the previous auction in December.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

Doesn't that mean whoever is investing will lose money? are we at the point where losing a small percentage is preferable to having the money elsewhere? wow if that's what it means (I don't know for sure) then that's dammed scary.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Is going to ge a lot worst, something that tells you the figures are nothing but manufactured crap is that the military defense budget cuts are to take effects, to save trillions on government spending, On January 8 the government put out the first news about how much cuts will be heading the Army and Marines, I mean is in the thousands, with more cuts to the Navy, National Guard and Reserve.

So the figures given are nothing but crap.

US government is the biggest employer in the nation, if they get to do what they want to do to the military and government employees Obama's election will be in jeopardy.

Budget Cuts Could Spark Showdown for AF, Guard and Reserves

www.military.com...

Military cuts are sign of defeatism

www.lasvegassun.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half-inch eraser
- in case you thought optimism was dead

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Has anyone else been concerned about the news relating to Hungary? It is increasingly looking like there will be a real showdown between the Prime Minister and the IMF. (Remember what happened to the heads of the Greek and Italian governments — no election, just replacement by Goldman Sachs stooges on the back of an ostensible 'urgent need for technocrat government'...)

Hungary Remains Flashpoint in Region

Hungary’s currency and assets will remain volatile as the country’s officials prepare for meetings with the International Monetary Fund and the European Union in the coming two weeks to launch talks about a potential credit line for the EU country.

Steps to be settled in the new week follow officials late last week seeking to cool fears that the government in Budapest was steering away from democratic norms and putting IMF support at risk.

On Friday, Fitch ratings agency joined Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s in downgrading Hungary’s debt to junk status, but the move was offset by the government’s promise to compromise on terms for a potential IMF deal and the country’s bonds firmed...

Any objections to Hungary’s revised central bank law are political rather than professional, Prime Minister Viktor Orban said in an interview with state news agency MTI published Sunday. The law–widely criticized because of its structural revisions allowing for bigger influence on monetary policy–is fully in line with European Union laws, and there hasn’t been a single professional argument stating otherwise, Orban said.

Source

And check out this report that brings out how the Prime Minister is concerned about how the IMF has been interfering with politics in his country:

Watch this space.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yep appears so!

Can the euro survive another year?

Believe it or not, you now have to pay for the privilege of lending to the German government, on six-month funds at least. Berlin managed to sell €3.9bn of bonds yesterday on a yield of minus 0.0122pc.

So scared are eurozone investors of capital destruction that they would rather lose out to inflation than the perceived greater risk of anything else.

The same goes for the banking sector, which according to the latest data has a record €464bn of money on overnight deposit with the European Central Bank. These are funds which otherwise banks would be lending to each other.

Germany auctions bills with negative yield amid debt crisis

Some investors are prepared to pay when lending to the most creditworthy governments in exchange for the assurance of getting their capital returned as a solution to the euro-region debt crisis, which forced Greece, Ireland and Portugal to seek bailouts, eludes policy makers. Yields on three-month U.S. Treasury bills fell below zero for the first time in December 2008 after the collapse of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.
Advertisement: Story continues below

“It just underpins how nervous the overall market is,” said David Schnautz, a fixed-income strategist at Commerzbank AG in London. “There are investors out there who really worry about the return of their money. That's why they are OK donating some of their money to Germany, just to make sure they get it back.”

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Wow, thanks for the clarification, that really demonstrates for me how close we are to the cliff edge edge again.
It just leave that one question in my mind, how long can this last?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
The most amazing thing about this whole mess is that they have somehow managed to hold it together this long an continue to dupe investors and the public alike, gotta hand it to them. However when it finally falls apart it will be unlike anything the world has ever seen.... It's going to make the great depression look like a walk in the park.

That is of course why all the crazy police state stuff is happening. Even they are not sure if they can control the beast they are about to unleash.
edit on 10-1-2012 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
US government is the biggest employer in the nation, if they get to do what they want to do to the military and government employees Obama's election will be in jeopardy.

The 2005 BRAC, Joint Basing....has been finishing off and cutting thousands of jobs during Obama's term. The uniformed military actually made powerpoints about it saying they were using 'tactics' to get civilians to quit so the Government wouldn't have to pay them benefits.

The SuperBases are running cheaply, just as Congress wanted.

President Clinton did the "Quadrennial Defense Review" to gut DOD....so the money could be used abroad to buy off people/countries/foreign companies....instead of giving Americans middle class jobs in DOD.

There no longer are Wage Grade/Blue Collar civil service jobs in DOD. There isn't much else Congress can cut. As President Clinton said...."if the American people find out what we did"......

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Wow, thanks for the clarification, that really demonstrates for me how close we are to the cliff edge edge again.
It just leave that one question in my mind, how long can this last?

It's amazing to me how many household names in the UK retail sector have gone to the wall. Late last year a massive national diy retailer was sold for under £1! More are forecast to go bust this year. Plus it came home to me in a big way when my ex employer - a major and respected UK charity - had to close some offices and make some folk redundant. A friend had her full time job cut to half. Those lucky to be still in work will no doubt be peddling even faster to keep on top of the extra workload.
How long can it continue? I think we are on a type of seesaw. Some positive spin comes in and the markets react and go up a fraction or at least hold their own. Some negative news comes in and they go down that little bit extra.
I think we are close to the tipping point where suddenly we won't be able to go back up again and we will plummet to the bottom. However I have a gut feeling that the UK will be 'safeguarded' till after the Olympic Games - so not till after August. But be on your guard because when it happens, it will happen very very quickly.
edit on 10-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Is more to come, Federal jobs are frozen, I have a friend that is GBI Her husband is an FBI agent, but she wanted to get into the FBI so they could be assigned together as now he have to travel a lot while she is stuck in her job in the state.

After going to the training she found out, out of nowhere that the Government has frozen hiring on many Federal Jobs including the FBI, this was last week, you don't get to see any of this in the news.

More so the many times that civil workers at our local base has been on the edge for the last year when the government runs out of money to pay.

You do not see that in the news either or when they are send home for a week while congress get their corrupted arses together, I guess all that inside trading that Wall Street pimps have them addicted to have turn them into junkies that can not work any more for the pesky American people.

Is more to come, remember that the military will be downgrading salaries and they are to target retirement pays also

The only different between Spain, Greece, Portugal vs America is that while those first three countries can not print money for their debt US can, while they are bound to serve their masters the lenders and impose austerity US call it "Cuts" and they are integrated into the mind of the American tax payer and hard worker by propaganda in "installments" to avoid riots and hangings

edit on 10-1-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Debt Crisis: Ireland will not meet 3pc budget deficit target – Goodbody Stockbrokers

Both Spain and Italy are due to hold bond auctions this week as they struggle to raise funds in the open markets. The cost of borrowing for Italy remains above 7pc – a level that is considered to be unsustainable by economists although the current EU bailout fund is not big enough to save that country because of its size.

No matter what, it just is not going to get better in Europe. It does make one wonder how long they can go before collapse.

top topics

<< 826  827  828    830  831  832 >>

join