It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Smells Of STEAK Say NASA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

OUTER space smells of fried steak, scientists revealed yesterday.
The universe also has an aroma of hot metal and motorbike welding, Nasa experts said.

The space agency has commissioned Steven Pearce of British fragrance firm Omega Ingredients to recreate the smells to help train spacemen.

www.thesun.co.uk...

Could this be simply the interstellar In and Out they smell?

ColoradoJens

[edit on 16-10-2008 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Well that offically wins as the weirdest thing I've heard today.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
So I guess the lesson here is if you go to space, bring A1 sauce and a biker chick.

How cruel on the ISS residents who have to eat paste.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Pfffft the Sun will publish anything. Or maybe its the astronauts own arse cooking from radiation. LOL

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Now we know whats up with all the cattle mutilations... gross!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Quite possibly steak smells like space, not the other way around. Interesting find though.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
mmmmmm. ..... space.....it actually sounds quite delicious. I prefer my universe served medium rare, thanks.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
And all this time I always thought space would have a pork scent.

Wait a sec, who was brave enough to actually remove their space helmet just to get a whiff of space?

Mod Note: Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The only thing I can figure is that the astronauts catch a whiff of each other in the air lock during recompression. Apollo astronauts said the moon smelled like cordite.
Interesting.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
What a load of BS!!

A: It is not like you can stick your head out the window and take a sniff

B: Smells are molecules and attach themselves to air molecules and other things, none of which exist in space???

C: Perhaps this proves that they have never been there!

I cannot believe this story is being broadcasted. Sounds like someone's idea of a joke!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Whome did they push out the airlock to determine the smell of vacuum?

This is preposterous.

I have a fair idea what the inside of a metal box smells like after half a dozen people live inside it for years.

I don't think I will be purchasing that scent any time soon!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Hey you never know,could be an inter galactic Sizzler somewhere in the universe

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The article (yes, from the SUN) states the smell was on their space suits after being exposed- not sticking their noses out and smelling space. They also likened it to burning metal. They must not eat good steak at home.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Well that offically wins as the weirdest thing I've heard today.

I agree. I started laughing as soon as I saw the topic. This definitely ranks very high on my "Weird-S&%T-O-Meter".

Pass the potatoes and slather on the sauce.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Mmmmmmm.....Oh mighty universe....you smell so delicious.......must taste your......cosmic yummyness.... *drool*

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Wait, wait...

There is such a thing as a "smell" analyzer, or smell something or other, because i heard about it while watching that Caley Anthony case.

They can take samples! Just like they did in the above mentioned case and they came up with the smell of death.

Still, pork would make me happier! Nice crunchy and highly spiced!!!!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Of course you can smell space, if people can stink without smelling in space then why not bring back the space smell once you bring the odour back in the vibrational field of the earth's atmosphere? Everythig smells but you can not do it in a vacume of space. I bet Mars and Jupiter smell but we can not live in the envirionment to have a go. If we take samples of resedue on materials, we can pick out the smells back on earth. Its not that bizzar.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How can one smell space? Even humans in space arent breathing space, they are breathing what was brought up with them for life support.

How? How can one know this without instantly imploding/exploding/boiling to a crisp?

Reminds me of one of my Fathers' favorite jokes...

"Let me show you an old Indian trick, take your helmet off and tell me what space smells like, Ill bet you a million dollars it smells like your favorite steak".

Analyzing the smells -as dgtempe pointed out - could be possible but thats an analysis, not a human actually smelling it...

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Grock]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I find the implications rather morbid. The stench of countless worlds and lifeforms cooking somewhere in the universe.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
So, if it smells like steak, then I wonder...does it taste like chicken?!?! Just curious...I guess NASA will get back to us on that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join