It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Smells Of STEAK Say NASA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forest
Quite possibly steak smells like space, not the other way around. Interesting find though.

Well, space was definitely around before steak was, so i think you're right. Steak infact smells like outer space.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Well it makes sense because space is cooking all the time, the light is burnning all the time which are the stars ad the smell is probably of burning, and maybe the universe once weighed out i terms of particles has the same properties of living flesh in terms of mnerals. Then add to that the smell of the left over effect then it makes sense. I guess space is a burnt offering to God.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Even this article doesn't say that "the vacuum of space smells like steak"...all this article says is that the spacesuits smell like that after a spacewalk.

This doesn't necessarily mean that space smells this way -- it only means that space (sunlight, cosmic rays, etc.) causes the suits to smell that way.

[edit on 10/17/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Wah! I don't believe a word of it!! I want Space to smell of flowers and Clangers and baby powder....or at least carrots....c'mon! It's too beautiful to smell of roasted dead stuff, surely...

Cait
**in a major huff now**

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

This doesn't necessarily mean that space smells this way -- it only means that space (sunlight, cosmic rays, etc.) causes the suits to smell that way.

[edit on 10/17/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

This does makes far more sense than say, the universe is a cow riding a motorcycle, or that our universe is just a molecule in a piece of steak that isn't fully cooked yet. New global warming theory?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I didn't realize that motor bike welding had it's own unique odor, wouldn't it smell just like automotive welding or maybe lawn tractor welding

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
Wah! I don't believe a word of it!! I want Space to smell of flowers and Clangers and baby powder....or at least carrots....c'mon! It's too beautiful to smell of roasted dead stuff, surely...

Cait
**in a major huff now**

yea, but space produces all of that stuff, so really, space probably smells like a combination of everything and then some, probably a truly unique smell incomprehensible to human perception, and when we do get a whiff, its only like what we have a frame of reference for.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by psychedeliack

Hmmmm, ok, I see your point, but wouldn't the resulting smell depend on the major constituents, and ingredients like steak, which I imagine are relatively rare in terms of space components, act like musk in real perfumes? Musk absolutely stinks on it's own, but used in tiny amounts, can enhance other fragrances? And what is the main ingredient of space anyway? It can't be cows, surely...

I really need to get more sleep. I can't believe I've just gone public with this train of thought.....

Cait

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
Pfffft the Sun will publish anything. Or maybe its the astronauts own arse cooking from radiation. LOL

Well maybe but NASA does actually publish strange stories like that

Moon dust smells like GUNPOWDER

The Smell of Moondust

January 30, 2006: Moondust. "I wish I could send you some," says Apollo 17 astronaut Gene Cernan. Just a thimbleful scooped fresh off the lunar surface. "It's amazing stuff."

Feel it—it's soft like snow, yet strangely abrasive.

Taste it—"not half bad," according to Apollo 16 astronaut John Young.

Sniff it—"it smells like spent gunpowder," says Cernan.

How do you sniff moondust?

see captionEvery Apollo astronaut did it. They couldn't touch their noses to the lunar surface. But, after every moonwalk (or "EVA"), they would tramp the stuff back inside the lander. Moondust was incredibly clingy, sticking to boots, gloves and other exposed surfaces. No matter how hard they tried to brush their suits before re-entering the cabin, some dust (and sometimes a lot of dust) made its way inside.

Once their helmets and gloves were off, the astronauts could feel, smell and even taste the moon.

science.nasa.gov...

SEE? Thats how your tax dollars are spent

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ok so they were actually eating some of the moon dust. Now it's all coming to light - the moon IS made out of cheese and somewhere, so near yet so far is a planet - planet X - and it's made from 100% all beef patty - and one day, cheese and patty will meet and the earth will explode in volcanoes of mayo. Guarenteed this is deleted in minutes.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
awesome article!
i can see my own purgatory: being stranded on an orange planet that smells exactly like cheetos.

it would be interesting to be able to break down the smells in oxygen and out of oxygen.
wondering how O2 plays its part in the smell? (or a way to smell the "smell" without oxygen being introduced)

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forest
Quite possibly steak smells like space, not the other way around. Interesting find though.

You just blew my mind, man.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
There is a lot of Iron in space and Iron is also in the blood and in most mamals so it makes sense it has the same burnt blood like smells.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

Perhaps best reply yet - from my uneducated perspective. Simple and precise.

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I really have to say that given the vacuum of space, it's more likely the smells are originating from the spacecraft and astronaut and not space.

And how do they determine smell? Air will be sucked out to space, not into space, and you can't suck space into the shuttle since there is no air or atmosphere out there.

Maybe America really is being dumbed down?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Well, if you can not smell the moon because there is no atmosphere but when you take some soil samples back home does not mean you can not smell the sample back on the atmospheric evironment on earth. This applies to space resedue I think and the overall smell it makes on everything else probably.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by The time lord]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
He must be barbecuing again. Lamb as usual.
Sacrificial lamb

Mmm, lamb steak.

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Well that settles it. Those stuctures on the moon... Outback Steakhouses.

The Indian Astronuts are not going to be very happy about that. As for me, I'll have a Bloomin' Onion!

posted on Nov, 15 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Can you imagine being in one of those EVA suits and ripping a juicy one?

Man... talk about a Dutch Oven! You really get to 'enjoy' your Steak MRE all over again!

Yes, that was gross and I am a very sick individual.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join