It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military doesn't care about soldiers medical condition

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This is another sad moment in time for America. Without giving them a physical or checking their medical history the government is sending troops into Iraq regardless of thier medical condition.

US Sent Medically Unfit Soldiers to Iraq, Pentagon Acknowledges

WASHINGTON - To meet the demand for troops in Iraq, the military has been deploying some National Guard and Army Reserve soldiers who aren't fit for combat.

More than a dozen members of the Guard and reserves told Knight Ridder they were shipped off to battle with little attention paid to their medical histories.

Those histories included ailments such as asthma, diabetes, recent surgery and hearing loss. Once in Iraq, the soldiers faced severe conditions that aggravated their medical problems, and the medical care available to them was limited.

www.commondreams.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Bah! They're all potential casualties anyway, right?

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
First off, the military cares very much for the health of it's troops on the whole.

Secondly, mistakes happen and military medicine sucks sometimes. The doctors are overbooked a lot, which leads to problems.

Thirdly, I'm pretty sure these doctors had been hearing BS story after BS story about people's "health issues". I know first hand how much people lie when push comes to shove in the military about their health to get out of things.

I don't think it was a malicious action.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
First off, the military cares very much for the health of it's troops on the whole.

Secondly, mistakes happen and military medicine sucks sometimes. The doctors are overbooked a lot, which leads to problems.

Thirdly, I'm pretty sure these doctors had been hearing BS story after BS story about people's "health issues". I know first hand how much people lie when push comes to shove in the military about their health to get out of things.

I don't think it was a malicious action.

I sure hope you're right Jethro. Because I care for the soldiers over there and support them even though I don't support the war.

posted on Mar, 26 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Other than your source being an obvious anti-war, anti-Bush site, have you found any other collaborating articles concerning this?

This may also be of interest to you and your 'topic':
Army: Mentally Ill Sent to Iraq

seekerof

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The sucker is always the solider.

The government has hidden agenda for it's own gain, while the solider fights for the government and losses his life for government.

Do you people really think the government or anyone but the soilders family care anything for him?

When a soilder dies, only his family crys.

So it's point less to be a soilder. you actions comes from the mind of leader of the government. You have your own mind, then why not think?

posted on Mar, 27 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
if teh government cared about its soliders it wouldn't send them to their death.

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinker
The sucker is always the solider.

Meaningless tripe. Bad opener.

The government has hidden agenda for it's own gain, while the solider fights for the government and losses his life for government.

Being that you have probably never actually done anything in life, don't # on the soldiers. Believe it or not, most could give a rat's ass about the government. They fight for themselves, their beliefs, and their families. When bullets start flying, they then fight for the guy next to them. So you're way off base.

Do you people really think the government or anyone but the soilders family care anything for him?

When a soilder dies, only his family crys.

Apart from being illiterate, you also seem to have a fairly cynical look on life. Can't help you there. Try arts and crafts, make model planes, get out of high school.

So it's point less to be a soilder. you actions comes from the mind of leader of the government. You have your own mind, then why not think?

Must be hard to imagine someone NOT thinking like you. But since you are such a sharp one, others CAN'T be thinking when they oppose your disparaging views.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Military doesn't care about soldiers medical condition

This is another sad moment in time for America. Without giving them a physical or checking their medical history the government is sending troops into Iraq regardless of thier medical condition. - mrmulder

They don't care, man. They need all the canon fodder they can get their hands on.

[Edited on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Other than your source being an obvious anti-war, anti-Bush site, have you found any other collaborating articles concerning this?

seekerof

Here's an interview with a Navy Lt. who got out recently after being in for 16 years. He's discussing low morale and high suicide rates caused by the foolishness of the mission in Iraq and the callousness of this administration.

Friday, March 26th, 2004
Navy Public Affairs Officer Who Worked in Iraq Condemns President Bush & The U.S. Invasion

A year ago Navy Lt. John Oliveira was appearing daily before television cameras defending the U.S. invasion. He was the top public affairs officer aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt. In a Democracy Now! exclusive he speaks today on a national program for the first time criticizing the invasion he was once paid to defend.
www.democracynow.org.../03/26/1551246

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I thought he was asking for something that wasn't an obvious anti-war, anti-Bush site? This wasn't it.

I am curious as to how he was able to retire at 16 years? There may have been something else at work. Disgruntled former employee syndrome perhaps?

[Edited on 29/3/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
I thought he was asking for something that wasn't an obvious anti-war, anti-Bush site? This wasn't it.

You gotta love it. We should only post articles Republicans agree with.

I am curious as to how he was able to retire at 16 years? There may have been something else at work. Disgruntled former employee syndrome perhaps?

Well, that's simple. Anyone whose been in the military would know, you can get an early retirement at 15 yrs. You might wanna do your homework, there, CoolHand.

[Edited on 29/3/04 by COOL HAND]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Thank you, East Coast Kid, for setting Jethro and cool hand, and Seekerof, straight on this matter.
The military does NOT care for the health of its soldiers. Oh, sure, Jethro, yes, I know the medical shammers and malingerers, yes, they exist. But those are almost mostly physical injuries, like my back hurts, my knees hurt, ect, when they really dont.
I have known several cases where, persons with certain temporary or permanent medical conditions were exposed to situations that could worsen them. I knew a soldier, she was married and was pregnant at the time. We were out of field exercises in Germany. She was one of our supply clerks. They sent her downrange to the missile launchers, a place that she did not go, nor belonged, because of her job. They were radiating the radar at the time. She was sent down, instead of someone else from her squad, to go down and distribute fire extinghishers for each launcher, while the radar was radiating at her. She tried to protest, but they made her go.
Now mind you, we werent even in a war sisuation. nor getting deployed anywhere. There was no reason she should have been downrange. Anyone else could have gone. Her husband, who was in the Cav unit near us, was really pissed off, but nothing was done about it. She lost the kid, anyway.
Thats just one example. Ive known people with hepetitis, diabetes, mental illness, ect. who deployed with us to Saudi Arabia.

I have seen too many times the lack of concern for health in the military. Hell, I didnt get a physical when I got out.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Originally posted by COOL HAND

You gotta love it. We should only post articles Republicans agree with.

No, but it would have been nice if you would have done as he asked.

Well, that's simple. Anyone whose been in the military would know, you can get an early retirement at 15 yrs. You might wanna do your homework, there, CoolHand.

I did, unlike you. There has to be extenuating circumstances to retire at 15 years. They are primarily medical in nature. Since he was in 16 years and only a LT I am assuming that he was a prior enlisted. He may a have submitted his letter of resignation at the 16 year mark, however that does not entitle him to claim that he is retired military.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Skadi,

You example raised some questions. Do you know the dangers of radiating? Do you know what azimuth they were radiating at? Are you sure they were actually radiating, and not in stand by? How much power were they radiating at?

My guess is no since you weren't the one giving the orders in that case.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Its gives him every right to the claim of retired, coolhand.

I was in during the 1990's, during the massive drawdowns. NOT extenuating circumstances back then. It was simple: If you were unlucky enough to be in a job they were phasing out, had not reached a certain rank within a certain number of years, or there were too many of your MOS, you got the option: early retirement, or eventually, be forcibly discharged with no benefits. I watched #loads of E-6's, E-7's, E-8's, ect, take the early opt. Even some E-5's. Certain job specialties, its impossible to make rank quick enough to avoid getting the boot, points are always maxed, ect.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Its gives him every right to the claim of retired, coolhand.

No it does not. Didn't you ever get to go to TAP class?

I was in during the 1990's, during the massive drawdowns. NOT extenuating circumstances back then. It was simple: If you were unlucky enough to be in a job they were phasing out, had not reached a certain rank within a certain number of years, or there were too many of your MOS, you got the option: early retirement, or eventually, be forcibly discharged with no benefits. I watched #loads of E-6's, E-7's, E-8's, ect, take the early opt. Even some E-5's. Certain job specialties, its impossible to make rank quick enough to avoid getting the boot, points are always maxed, ect.

That was one of the extenuating circumstances, if the military decides that your specialty code is no longer needed, then THEY have the option to offer you an early retirement.

Otherwise you are offered the chance to retire at the 20 year mark. In his case they were not phasing out PAO's, so he can't claim retirement.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Giving orders? Hell no. I sure as hell would not order a pregnant woman downrange.

Dangers of radiation? The Patriot missile system radar is basically a big 60 KW microwave. Its very simple: its heats up tissue. U can pop popcorn in front of the damn thing. The dangers include, sterility, tissue damage, potential in long term for cancer. Stand in front of the damn thing, you can feel your extremities tingle, your ears turn red.

What asimuth? # if I know, that sort of information was only known at that time by the operators.

I know they were radiating because they told everyone they were radiating. Its standard, before going downrange, for anyone, to ask if they are radiating. If they are, then we wait till they are done, unless its an emergency, or you are ordered to go down. It was not an emergency. They often sent soldiers downrange, even when it was radiating and wasnt necessary.

Oh, add brain tumors to the list of possible long term effects. My old shop foreman is battling one, they turned on the radar once while he was three feet in front working on the truck that pulled it.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
What asimuth? # if I know, that sort of information was only known at that time by the operators.

That is kind of important as the angle will determine the exposure.

I know they were radiating because they told everyone they were radiating. Its standard, before going downrange, for anyone, to ask if they are radiating. If they are, then we wait till they are done, unless its an emergency, or you are ordered to go down. It was not an emergency. They often sent soldiers downrange, even when it was radiating and wasnt necessary.

Depending on where they are radiating you can stand right in front of the thing. As long as they are not radiating directly at you, you are fine.

Oh, add brain tumors to the list of possible long term effects. My old shop foreman is battling one, they turned on the radar once while he was three feet in front working on the truck that pulled it.

How long was he standing in front of it?

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Coolhand, one doesnt need to know the exact asimuth when the said victim is tingling in her extremities, getting the telltale red hears, and birds are steering clear of the the whole damn area. thats one indicator they are radiating low to the ground. the birds normally perched on top ogf the missile cannisters waiting for us to drop some goodies from the MRE's are conspicuously absent.) The fact that even when they radiate high, some of it still bounces off the objects in the distance. When they radiate, SOP states unless absolutely necessary, perssonel should NOT be down range.

As to my friend who got radiated on while in front of the truck, he was there about 5 minutes when he suddenly noticed the odd tingling and reddening of the ears.

top topics

join