It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50 post minimum before you are able to create a thread?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

That may be, but there has to be a statement to flag them to be read by someone. They can't just go there without being searched for by (in this case) php.

But if it's not written how I'm thinking, then that's another if statement, or condition, and too many statements like that, or too many queries asking for user information like that CAN bump a load up and over the top, that's not what you wanna do.

[edit on 14.10.2008 by Shugo]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I disagree - who would have thought? -

when a member gets a U-2-U privledge, they should start a thread...
that situation would be more appropriate (rather than smothering an author for not following the pop-culture model of an ''acceptable'' thread starter)

Learning to 'Schmooze' & brown-nosing are useful talents,
but not the prerequisite...............
or else my schizo brain is way off-base, again

[edit on 14-10-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

The anonymous posts all appear in a staff only forum, as the staff has time they review them and "clear them" or "kill them". That's the another whole set of issues, the staff's time, when we are this busy, is needed making sure the posts/threads meet the TAC requirements. Adding another complete set of posts to review this way would be intolerable at this point.

Hope that clarifies it a little.

Springer...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Ah, see...I didn't know that's how that portion of the system worked. In that case you are absolutely right, it'd be a complete overload of manpower and server power. Everyone will just have to wait.

(The ones who have patience will anyway...don't know about the other ones. Seems to be a lot of them on ATS of late.)

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

I see what you meant now. Sorry.

I still think it would be different though. For one thing, Anonymous ATS can't start any threads, but can always post (though the post isn't visible right away).

For this to work, you'd have to check every new thread to make sure that the member had posted more than 50 times, and if not that they had not started another new thread in the last 7 days. Or introduce a new variable into the account associated with each member. Unless I'm missing something, which is very possible. I haven't had to write a script in years.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Not quite

if ($action == 'newthread' || $self['postnum'] < 50) [

Simple enough.
I know the base software well enough to know those variables exist. $self being a global variable for user data, unless it was removed in ATS's new code.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
In the interim time between upgrades, how about just to clean out some of the trash, set "one liners" posts to negative point values. While it may be a bit more difficult to unsheath the sword on the trolls, at least a measure could be taken to stop the lunatics from taking over the asylum.
While you are at it, do the same for the extreme abusers that have to be squelched from time to time for breaking the TACA.

Start dropping points from people, which is generally equated to your time here, thereby adding to your reputation here, and I think people will come up with something more constructive to say than...."I totally agree". I think the words "this is not a one liner" and any variation therein should be stricken as well, since it is just a loophole to avoid being flagged and adds nothing to the flavor of the topic at hand. Its all well to agree or disagree with a topic, but at least make your point with a bit of content.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

They are. And a joy it is too at times.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea....if it is not too draining on the system.
Hopefully not going off topic too far, I think friending and foeing should also be included in this.
I have had foes appear on the very day, or a couple of days after a new member signs up and they are never heard from again. They dont even have the courtesy to post on a thread I have ben involved with so I have no idea why. (except for a member called 'ickesright' shortly after I started an anti reptilian thread...that was obvious....
)
A minimum post scenario here would give them time to get the true spirit of foeing.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

So, I was thinking about it and I may have a solution to the important info issue.

New members would still be allowed to create one thread. That thread being their introduction in the introductions forum. If they have some very important info, they can post it in there. If it is very important and relevant to another forum, then a mod can move the thread to the appropriate forum.

For example, a member recently joined and created an introduction thread called "diagnose me". It was a very good intro and had some really good paranormal info. The mods went ahead and moved it into the paranormal forum.

I think this would be a fine work around.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I totally agree, that would indeed be a very good solution! That way we would ensure that important info from new members gets to us.

(And now you can tell your psycho guy of yours to stop following me around, flipping that coin of his and demanding that I choose head or tails... He is freaking me out.)

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

OK, the avatar has been called off.

Here is an example of a thread that has been created by a member with 12 posts.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This sounds like a sure fire recipe to limit and hinder new members. There will always be trouble makers and people out for their own agenda, AKA spammers in the email world. There is no perfect solution. Having, running, and participating in a forum is w o r k. I myself have a forum, but I do not have it active as I see nothing but a pile of headaches just waiting to happen.

Will I leave if the 50 post minimum is adopted? Maybe. Maybe not.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join