posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 12:56 PM
The Presidential Seal
The Presidential Seal has not always been as we recognize it today. Originally it was fixed featuring a coat of arms similar to the one found on The
Great Seal of the United States, with an eagle clutching thirteen arrows in one talon and an olive branch in the other. Prior to 1945, however, the
coat of arms of the presidential seal bore a marked difference to the coat of arms of The Great Seal of the United States. The eagle on the
presidential seal faced to the viewer's right, towards the talon with the arrows, while the eagle on the Great Seal faced toward the viewer's left,
toward the talon with the olive branches.
One morning, standing at his desk, President Truman presented to the press a new presidential flag ... "This new flag faces the eagle toward the
staff," Truman explained, "which is looking to the front all the time when you are on the march, and also has him looking at the olive branch for
peace, instead of the arrows for war ..."
On October 25, 1945 President Truman issued Executive Order 9646. This order made several alterations to the presidential flag and seal, among which
was the reversal of the eagle's head so that it pointed in the same direction as the one on the Great Seal. The new seal featured an eagle facing
to it's right, the direction of honor; and toward the olive branches in it's right talon, symbolizing peace. The former design, first used in 1880
by President Rutherford B. Hayes, featured the eagle facing toward arrows in its left talon, symbolizing war.
[Edited on 25-3-2004 by kinglizard]