It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The question I have to ask, after watching Michelle Obama on the Daily Show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Prior to introducing Michelle Obama, The host of the Daily Show, Jon Stewart, in great comedic form once again found comfort in his usage of the "F" word, which was bleepidy bleeped in the ever growing ritualistic audio track overdubbing. More and more it is becoming common place to use expletives and as these formerly banned words flow from palate to viewing audience, it seems to become less offensive with each additional blurt.

Comedy Central, the network airing The Daily Show and others using similar vocabulary along with increasingly compromising graphic depictions of sexual persuasion that are often found in another of their over the edge shows, South Park. One scene tonight displayed a parody of the squeal like a pig scene from the movie Deliverance, followed by a residential rape that to me looked as if depicting homosexual sodomy.

So after that wonderful cartoon, and the "F" word bleep-outs from Jon Stewart's pie hole, Michelle Obama is introduced and walks out on stage.

Am I old fashioned? Do any of you believe Michelle has a soft spot for such coarse "humor"? And I use that word loosely.

I am not posting this thread to mention any content of her interview or of her husbands positions, nor those of McCain. So please don't involve political agendas here.

The question came to me while viewing the Daily Show and I believe the question needs asking, so here it is.

Did the wholesome entertainment values displayed over the last century in television, -
(it's first generations of stars leaving a legacy trail of charactors, legends and beloved heroes to most, they have portrayed all of the good ideals that generations strive to simulate and pass on these values to their children) -
end with the death of Michael Landon?
Please spend a moment of contemplation before responding. I mean, it doesn't take Einstein to comprehend what has become of this industry.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I think it is refreshing; many of us cuss, especially while joking with friends. At least many people I know do, and I know a lot of people in the NAVY, you know what they say about sailors. I don’t see why people want those in television land or politicians even to be perfect or so separate from what we in reality are. Michelle is a grown woman, whatever she finds funny doesn’t concern me, I just hope for her as I do for many that they get time to relax and laugh a little, it is good for the soul.

I think people who are happier with etiquette from the past haven’t watched any of the very amusing older shows or comedy skits I’ve seen from twenty, thirty, and forty years back, that are raunchy, and provocative and not much more polite than what I watch on TV now.

I think the obvious thing to do when something bothers you is to change the channel. If it bothers you then find something that doesn’t.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

To be honest, the one thing I assuredly am not bothered by is the opinions of others.
I respectfully acknowledge yours.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
After reading your post and taking 30 minutes or so to contemplate, I find I am a bit confused about several points.

1. What does Michelle Obama (specifically) have to do with censorship on the Daily Show? Why would you think she "has a soft spot" for the language Jon uses? Why not a "soft spot" for Jews? Or comedians? Or political comedy? Or short men? I'm curious why you would "connect" Michelle Obama to Jon's language... Maybe she just got invited to do the show and thought it would be fun... I just don't get the Michelle Obama connection. Unless you wonder this about every guest on the Daily Show. Like John McCain, Mike Huckabee, Jimmy Carter and Bill O'Reilly.

2. Another confusion: The OP seems to be about Comedy Central and their way of dealing with censorship of profanity. And in that case, why was it posted in the Board Business Forum? (edit: I see it's been moved.)

3. Another possibility: The OP is about the general relaxed attitude about profanity on cable TV. In that case, why tie a specific guest (Michelle Obama) to it? If it's not supposed to be political...

It's just weird, you say it's not political, but make this strange (to me) connection of Michelle Obama having a soft spot for foul language... As if her appearance on the show proves that she condones Jon's language or men getting raped on South Park. (I said to my husband that that episode of South Park was the worst I've ever seen.)

Then the OP ends with the question: Did the wholesome entertainment values displayed over the last century in television end with the death of Michael Landon?

This goes back to point 3 above. In that case, I would answer the question by saying that yes, CABLE television (which is all I have) is notably more relaxed as regards restrictions on language and content than TV was when I was growing up. I sometimes find myself thinking, "I'm glad my mom's not alive to see this, as she would have been offended." Of course, she probably wouldn't have cable TV or watch the same shows I do, so she may have remained ignorant to it all.

I'm not sure what Michael Landon's death has to do with it, though. He was on network TV and I can't even speak to that because I don't know if their restrictions are also lax, as Cable TV is.

Personally, I don't have any problem with the language on cable TV. And I'm not really sure why people who do, even when it's bleeped, watch it. I did notice on the Daily Show and South Park last night, a slang term for the male anatomy was repeatedly used and not bleeped. It doesn't bother my ears and if I had kids, they wouldn't be watching it.

So, even though I believe Cable TV has become more and more lax, it doesn't bother me.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

If you get offended by mere words, then your life must be pretty good if someone dropping the F bomb is a major problem.

It's a word, thats all, nothing else. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

Could you provide your definition of "wholesome"? I am curious to see if it has a religious context.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Network television is still quite restricted. In fact there is some very small group of conservative christians (like 200 people or so) that go on massive letter writing compaigns everytime they see something the teeniest bit objectionable on the public airwaves and they have managed to have movies such as Schindlers List taken off network tv because the stations were so worried about being sued.

However Cable television is a premium service. People PAY so they can watch uncensored programming. That is still our right as Americans, and I sincerely hope it continues.

If you find the F word to be objectionable then don't pay for services that offer that sort of of discussion. Personally when I pay for entertainment I want the rougher stuff, I want my dramas to include lots of sex and violence, and I want the historical documentaries to tell the TRUTH about history including the graphic, gory details.

In actuality I do not pay for cable, I prefer to rent DVD's. However I understand how you feel, I do not approve of a lot of the ulta-conservative programming that is aired and I would certainly NEVER pay to support such programming. You have every right to do the same.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
Do any of you believe Michelle has a soft spot for such coarse "humor"?

I don't understand.

Anyone who goes on that show knows exactly what kind of show it is and what kind of language is used. They must have at least a tolerance for it. I wouldn't call it a 'soft spot'. That implys endearment.

She has either a tolerance for it or is used to it (desensitized), like many others are in this country, due to hearing it on TV or on the radio in RAP music etc.

I don't see an issue with this.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Personally when I pay for entertainment I want the rougher stuff, I want my dramas to include lots of sex and violence

Sonya, you rock! Sonya for president

Seriously, just like others, I find the premise in the OP indefendable. Jon Stewart's show is a popular one and hey, I like it. The fact that Michelle chose to speak to audience like myself gives her credit.

Look, in a televized coverage of the Palin-Biden debate as it was received in Alaska, an Alaskan man calls Govt.Palin a "tough Alaskan b!+ch". According to the logic in the OP, Govt.Palin should disown her own state for comments like this.

new topics

top topics

join