It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Canada's PM know about the economic collapse before it happened?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I have read that the U.S. government prepared for the bailout a couple of months ago because they knew it was going to happen (insider info or a part of their and others overall plan?).

So Canada's PM Harper surprised many by pushing for an election on October 14.

Since the U.S. government knew about the coming economic collapse well before it happened, isn't it reasonable that Bush's lap dog, Harper, was given a heads up?

So he called for an election hoping he would get elected before the economic mess hit the sleep-walkers

By the way, his party's standing is currently suffering as a result of the economy, but he will still be PM after the election.

A month later and he would be toast.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I think if he knew about it he would have called a spring election.

He waited and they played games about when the election would be called for months.

Just my 02 cents.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
no.. im not so sure.. stephen harper has a masters degree in economics.. i'm sure he saw it long in the making same as did many. he certainly didn't need a tip-off from ol Bushy..

and all this calling him bush's lapdog is getting old.. hes simply the lapdog of the same type of people bush is

he did call the election strategically, i think, in time for this struggle in an attempt to "bring the country together" and try to capture a conservative majority.. doesn't seem to be going to plan, if so
good point tho on the timing

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I dont know much about the Canadian government or officials, but the US econ problems were put into motion years ago when they started pushing the low interest balloon note mortgages on people that could not afford to pay what was due. They already knew that these people would default from the beginning. They infected the US economy with a virus that is now coming into its own.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Harper is horrible.

His eyes are very similar to the common brainwashed political speakers.
They all have something strange about there eyes.

Anyone notice this?

I might pull up links of obvious brainwashed figures another time but I'm tired here at 4 am.

people who watch a lot of conspiracy movies know what im talkin about.

anyways harper needs to be voted out because he's almost like the Bush of Canada.

Only thing I'm happy he did was the minus %2 sales tax.
So I can save 2 cents on a bag of chips now and then.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I cant see why he didnt, he would obviously have close ties with US paperboys and i dont see why they wouldnt share information about something as important as an 800 billion dollar bailout.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I can see what you mean.. he is another oil boy en.wikipedia.org... so we know the people he is likely working for...
but in my eyes he is the only one who is goiung to be able to stand up to the international pressure, especially form the states, over the coming months. A Harper minority would be far better than a harper majority, but being a resident of Ontario i dont want a liberal fed and a liberal provincial government (which is likely)

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidney thief
stephen harper has a masters degree in economics

That may be, but in tiimes like this I like to fall back on the musings of John Stuart Mill
"I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it."

...and I sit back and smile...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by droid56

It sure seems like he knew. I wonder if that's a big part of the reason he kept trying to push the Opposition into a corner and force an election throughout most of this parliament.

But it doesn't really make sense, if he knew the economy was going to be in serious trouble soon, that he wasn't prepared to focus his campaign on the economy. He should have been all over it from the start. Although maybe saying "everything's fine" is what he considers being "all over it."

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by buds84
Harper is horrible.

His eyes are very similar to the common brainwashed political speakers.
They all have something strange about there eyes.

Anyone notice this?

Such rubbish.

While I'm not a fan of any Canadian party leaders lets just accept the fact that Harper is the only leader since.......can't even name one, who actually kept his promiss and dropped the gst 2%. A politition who actually helped the little guy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the liberals who created the gst and signed NAFTA and its the liberals that now want to carbon tax us.

Surprize surprize.

Sometimes you have to give the devil his do, and this time he deserves it.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I guess your right.

I thought Harper was all for NAFTA?

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

You are wrong , it was not the librals but the conservative government of Molrony that brought ih both the gst and pushed and sighned the NAFTA agreement

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeSpeaker
While I'm not a fan of any Canadian party leaders lets just accept the fact that Harper is the only leader since.......can't even name one, who actually kept his promiss and dropped the gst 2%. A politition who actually helped the little guy.

Dropping the GST does not help the 'little guy'. It helps the big spenders. How many 'little guys' are big spenders?

The GST is a consumptive tax. The more you buy, the more you save. It helps rich people that buy a lot of luxuries like cars, trips, renovations, etc. Poor people don't usually buy a lot of these types of items. Food does not have the GST applied.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the liberals who created the gst and signed NAFTA

Consider yourself corrected. That was Brian Mulroney and the Progressive Conservatives.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

You'd have to be an awfully little guy for 2%...and that's one percent at a time...to make any kind of discernible difference. I'd rather that money had stayed in the system and get applied somewhere that it would matter.

Perhaps in the Arts sector that Steve had such issues with.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was the liberals who created the gst and signed NAFTA

Consider yourself corrected. That was Brian Mulroney and the Progressive Conservatives.

But the Liberals..to their shame...promised to drop the GST if elected. They were, and somehow forgot that part.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Very true. And they also said they would move towards decrim. But that didn't happen either. I am well aware of the Liberal track record. But, I'd still rather have them in power than the Conservatives.

The Liberals, specifically Paul Martin when he was Finance Minister, turned the federal deficit into a surplus, and had the economy seriously humming along. Harper took control and ground it to a halt. Almost.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Very true. And they also said they would move towards decrim. But that didn't happen either. I am well aware of the Liberal track record. But, I'd still rather have them in power than the Conservatives.

In the words of the Prophet..."Hell ya!"

But Iggy is not the Messiah...he has some 'academic disconnect' regarding Iraq, torture, etc and these musings will come back to him as soon as the ReformaTories dig in. This Dhalla thing is going to bite the party in the butt, too. Our only hope is that the rest of Parliament remains as inept.

posted on May, 6 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Harper is a joke.
A horrible, cruel joke.

top topics

join