It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about taking off to Alaskan Wilderness.Any suggestions?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
For anyone thinking they can come to Alaska to "get away" from their past...FORGET IT!!

Here are some points to remember:
~You will need a passport to get through Canada.
~If you try to bring guns through Canada they WILL confiscate them PERIOD. No excuses. You will have to ship them to a 'reputable' gun dealer before leaving the lower 48.
~If you're a felon they will deny you crossing at the border to go through Canada.(the only way is through Canada.LOL)
~Alaska also has all of the databases the rest of the nation does...your record WILL follow you.
~The male to female ratio is so freaking off it's pathetic, there are sayings about the females up here,and they're not pretty.
~If you suffer from SAD in anyway forget about feeling like you're sane for about 4 and a half months or more depending on the area.
~It is outrageously expensive to live here; our gas is still at the 3.50 per gallon mark. Food is shipped up so it's not very 'fresh' and the cost of shipping is tacked onto the price.
~If you have a grudge against the Russians...stay away.They are in our communities.They know what hardship living is like and are quite helpful and nice.
~If you don't like 'Indians' or 'natives' stay well away from here.
~The weather...IS COLD!! snow and more snow with ice.
In the spring and summer you WILL have to contend with bears.
(I had a Boone&Crockett black bear in my backyard all summer.If he didn't want to let me in my car,I didn't get to get in it!)
(I had 4 blackbears and 2 grizzlys this summer and they like to fight) Moose will charge you if you try to disturb them.
Sneak up on a wolverine and it'll tear into you.
~Depending on where you go,you may only be able to get into the area by snowmachine in the winter.
I live in an area outside of Anchorage, it's rough here but I know it's rougher in other parts of Alaska.
It's beautiful up here, at the same time it's also dangerous.
It's home,I love it and you'll not catch me in the other 49 states again.

Edit:for spelling

[edit on 11/13/08 by SilentOne]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentOne
there are sayings about the females up here,and they're not pretty.

Absolutely not true. Well, there are sayings, but there are definitely beautiful women in all the areas you would expect to find more than just people living in the wilderness.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

I meant the sayings aren't pretty

Probably should have had the coffee first, computer second

Thanks for bringing it to my attention so I could clarify!

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Just drink the computer with the coffee.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Don't feed the bears and don't be standing near any moose when Sarah Palin is around... and bring a lot of misquito repellent.

[edit on 13-11-2008 by grover]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Hmm...I would need "how to drink your computer for dummies"

Have a wonderful day! I'm off to drive through the snow into Anch for the day

Edited for spelling before coffee

[edit on 11/13/08 by SilentOne]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This may have already been asked, but what is the housing situation in Alaska? I have heard there are many fixer uppers around that can be had cheap or even free is this accurate?

Many people in the Missouri Ozarks basically work spring through summer and into the early fall then are laid off during winter, is this like Alaska?

How do you all survive with the costs of living being so high?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Depends on what you consider cheap. I havent seen anything in Alaska that I would consider cheap. Go onto Realtor.com and do a search. Housing in AK is very expensive. Not as bad as say Manhattan, but its high. One assumes its because of the amount of military up here.

If you are lucky enough to have a job where you get the winters off, good for you. No need to go out at 40 below zero. Wait, winter lasts 5 months, not many employers can go without employees that long. We work all year round, save for a few specialty posistions.

How do we survive? We work hard, we play hard. Yes, things are expensive, but we work, get paid, and play just like everyone else. A good number of Alaskans are fairly self-reliant. We garden, use wood for heat, we hunt our food and catch our fish.

Its certainly not for everyone. If you come up here to run off into the wilderness like the OP mentioned, without knowing the area, its all over for you. One way or another Alaska will kill you. If you come up, live in Anchorage, Wasilla, or Fairbanks and then try your hand out in the bush, you have some chance.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

That is a serious undertaking. Why not Siberia? Pros: less people than in Alaska, Cons: the remaining pops speak Russian only.

Seriously - why you stuck to Alaska? There will be no US soon, the world is large.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentOne

There is a way to Alaska from Russia. Less convenient, more expensive, no weapon transit as well.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
IF the SHTF Big Time then Alaska may be the first state to talk openly of secession. (Ask Gov Palin's hubby.) They are more independent (literally and figuratively) and more apt to resist federal gun control and having to give up their oil revenue for the good of the country. Problem is....you can practically "see Russia from Wassila" and the Ruskies might want "Sewards Folly" back! "FIFO for entry/exit into the union (Hawaii might also decide to be an independent island nation)...thank goodness the Japanese dont have a big navy anymore!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LibertyOrDeath008

Count me in too. Been thinking about leaving for some time now. Musician myself too. Let me know if something happens. Im in...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join