Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Thinking about taking off to Alaskan Wilderness.Any suggestions?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BindareDundat

Wow...

That is a big bear...

14' tall... yikes...

And the picture of the hiker... yuk... take his graphic pictures warning serious...

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

He is a she actually. Yeah the avatar is difficult to tell I suppose.

I have had my share of grizzly encounters. One in particular took me a week to recover from. Not to mention a couple of bottles of whiskey to calm the shakes and nerves. I'll never forget it for as long as I live.
Was very lucky that day/night!

If anyone is thinking about heading into grizzly country then you had better be prepared. Small calibre guns will not do. I'm not saying that such encounters are always likely but they do happen. It is a situation you don't really want to be in. And if it so happens, then you will need protection. More times than not (if they happen to be around) they are watching and stalking you without you even knowing it. In front of you for a period. Then behind you and then off to your side. Very cunning.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

Watch this video if you haven't already seen it, its just a short clip unfortunately, but I highly recommend seeing this classic! Good Luck with your journey!

Alone in the Wilderness - The Story of Dick Proenneke

In the spring of 1968, Richard Proenneke, 51 set off into the Alaskan wilderness to enjoy his retirement living in a backcountry cabin he crafted by hand. Over the next 35 years he lived here in solitude.

[edit on 10/10/2008 by ghoulardi]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

never heard of cold weather like that! all i can suggest is get the sas survival handbook by lofty wiseman . its the bible whn the # hits the fan

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Nice video. I always wanted to do that.

I've experienced some harsh winters. I can remember one year as a child on the ranch, it was so cold that you couldn't breath outside. You had to wear something across your face. The air stung, sharply. Hairs in your nostrils froze instantly. And everyone looked gray, no matter what hair color. Eyebrows froze up and eyelashes too. I do remember seeing sparkling crystals in the air too. We had a hard time keeping water from freezing on the farm animals. That was on northwestern BC Canada. I still love that area.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
As far as Proennke goes, you should read One Man's Wilderness. That's the 'whole' story behind his adventure. He didn't live in solitude for 35 years. He made regular trips to the lower (warmer) states to visit with friends/family.
His cabin still stands, as it is now part of a protected Nat'l forest. It was built on a Navy friend's land (before the land was donated to the Nat'l Parks project). He had supplies delivered regularly.
Yes, he built the cabin. He lived in it. He made several of his own tools/etc. He was also a remarkable outdoorsman and also a seasoned carpenter (he was a carpenter's mate in the Navy). He rarely wintered there.
Not trying to be a 'fact whore', but I watched his film multiple times. I own the DvD (which you can still purchase from PBS). It gave me a false impression that he just walked off into the woods and never came out.
It was still an impressive and inspiring feat.

I had the same desire to run away to Alaska. It's a pretty common idea I think. I left my job, my girl, all of my belongings, and had about 2k to my name. I drove non-stop half-way across the country and stopped to see some family one last time. I'm glad I did. Almost exactly a year later, I'm still here, and things have turned out quite well. Have a better job, got my girl back, and most of my stuff.
As it turns out, all of the 'research' I had done, all the 'survival' and 'roughing it' training and knowledge I have would have KILLED me.

I grew up in the rockies in CO and WY. I spent a lot of time camping at all times of the year. I can hunt, fish, etc. But all that did was make me over-confident. If my brother hadn't talked me into staying here and at least waiting for spring, someone would have found my corpse for sure.

It takes immense specialized skills, training, and LUCK to survive on your own in any extreme environment. Even Dick had supplies brought TO him. He wasn't completely alone.

Assuming you did wait until a more welcoming time of year...all it would take is a single scratch that you didn't notice going septic, and your miles from help. Not to mention a broken bone, an abcess tooth, etc. And then there is the flaura/fauna. Including bacteria, germs, viral life...

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
You watched or read "Into the Wild" one too many times. This time of year, you will not make it. Not with all the proper equipment or gear. If you're not an incredibly skilled hunter/tracker/gatherer/meat curer, you'll never make it. Work on those things before you try it. Remember what happened in Into the Wild, right? I agree with some posts above. I can do the same thing, but I'm going to stick it out. This is one of the most incredible times in American history and you're running away? Tough it out.

I believe Into the Wild was right on the money and the very best movie to watch if your even considering this move .

My family lived completely off the land for 13 years .
IT WAS SO HARD ..so rough ...so extreme ...that I will NEVER GO BACK .except to visit ...We never saw PEOPLE ..except when we had to go after stuff like Flour and canned milk or powdered.
We ate the same thing every day and every night ..(Deer,bear elk and fish and berries for desert)...it got OLD ...We wanted BEEF so bad when we went to Washington State for Christmas every year ..we would go and get a steak ..first thing ..yummmy ...lol ..

You will have to WORK very hard if you go anywhere in Alaska ..for a living even if you live off the land ..it is full time work just finding food FOR ONE DAY .....and gathering wood ..etc ...And you will need money for some things ..no matter what ..so you have to go commercial fishing (During the season) and logging or something else (the rest of the seasons) Plus come home and take care of finding your own food to eat ..or catching your fish to eat.......
While there is TEN FOOT OF SNOW ..and freezing so bad your nose is bleeding ..(Been there way too many times ) ..

I would say NO DONT GO ..not even if your as tough as that guy in that movie..Because the loneliness and the total cut off from humans is just like that movie described it .....that movie was right on everything .that was a true story because I have lived very similar to that ...for 13 years ...

Besides what makes you think it wont be just as bad there as it is here in the states if chit hits the fan ..we are really all better off staying close to eachother as possible .......we may make it if we are in small numbers of people ... to help us all survive ....instead of all alone ...

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
you got my attention if you plan wilderness prepare for the same fate as chris mcandandless he died in august same month as moose and berry season where he was! wilderness here is like no other place on the planet it is not forgiving to humans at all you will die. sorry if i crushed your dreams but is reality if you were an old sourdough you would survive working your tail off day by day a lonely old man sure dick prenoke did it but those days are gone! i live (survive) up here but if want move here bring alot of money and nothing you treasure alaska weather is as crazy as the people i swear everybody here is nuts plan on extreme wear and tear on all items you own -40 is rough! you really have to want to be here. it hasn't kept me from moving good luck i know you'll make right decision sorry for gammar and spellin g this is my first post

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
when you go to canada, bring a large gun, say a 357 or some gun big enough to bring down a bear attack when you are hunting in the woods for deer. it is good for protection also. you may not like the idea of a gun, but when the ssshhh hits the fan you would be glad you had it. some fishing gear, some knives string for fishing, a canoe to travel. you making a small cabin like me. i think your not alone in this area, maybe i might run into you there. soon when america reaches total meltdown in oct. 2009 i too plan to live off the land. and i will be armed to the teeth. check your perameters frequent and buy a good compass. im building my cabin underground, fully non detectable from any veiw you might think about that. check out the survival sites, they help some. peace.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have had some great suggestions for this idea.I may decide to find some other wilderness.I wanted to wait a while before I checked out the replies,and I am glad I did.Thank you all for the wide variety of advice.You guys are awesome.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by estrip
when you go to canada, bring a large gun, say a 357 or some gun big enough to bring down a bear attack when you are hunting in the woods for deer. it is good for protection also. you may not like the idea of a gun, but when the ssshhh hits the fan you would be glad you had it. some fishing gear, some knives string for fishing, a canoe to travel. you making a small cabin like me. i think your not alone in this area, maybe i might run into you there. soon when america reaches total meltdown in oct. 2009 i too plan to live off the land. and i will be armed to the teeth. check your perameters frequent and buy a good compass. im building my cabin underground, fully non detectable from any veiw you might think about that. check out the survival sites, they help some. peace.

I am sure that thermal imaging can pick you out,you may have some safeguard,I am not sure there is one though.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by daeoeste

I am sure that thermal imaging can pick you out,you may have some safeguard,I am not sure there is one though.

Ah but thermal blankets reflect your body heat back towards you minimizing your heat signature if any FLIR units are lookin for ya

Mod Note: Forum Image Linking Policy – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13/11/08 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Constitutional Scholar

I wonder. If that guy in the photo was hiding, his hands and face would show up right? So a person would need to make themselves a suit, gloves and face gear out of such a blanket.
You would look like someone from outerspace. LOL
In daylight moving around you would think the sun would give you away. Reflecting off of the blanket. So maybe underneath clothing then. Would it hurt to darken the outside of the blanket?

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BindareDundat

I just posted that pic as an example of what a thermal blanket is for anyone who didnt know.

You wouldnt need to wear it while moving, its more of a "hunker down and hide " type of concealment.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
A real, long time Alaskan here. 32 years in fact. I've spent years living and tromping around in the Bush, really remote places with large animals creaping nearby (No kidding here!)! I've rarely carried a large caliber side arm, I rarely carry a large knife, nor do I worry about bear attacks, freezing to death, being trampeled by a moose, or meeting a big griz on a trail. Now, I might be real familiar with my large caliber long rifle but that's about it. I know, I need to start worrying about these things but, well, you know, there is the family and the business, the pets, the stock market crash, not ellecting a liberal idiot and all those other things to worry about! I should muster some paranoia! I'll put that on my list for next year! My point is that Alaska is a lot like any of the northern states. Just be prepared and reasonable.

Alaska does have a better looking and more qualified for VP governer, however! LOL.

BTW, Simplynoone, you got it right, well said, star'd!

[edit on 12/10/08 by plumranch]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hi daeoeste, I'm having similar thoughts, just cut off from society and live by my own. But I believe in today's world for some reason or another you'll always be dependant on society, regrettably, so I don't know how far can you get on your own without needing things, for instance, medicine, clothes, etc.

You also have social responsibilities since birth, I always thought that if I leave everything behind, someone would come after me (namely The Bank, Tax-enforcers, etc.)

So I think that I may do something in between: a life away from society but still in it, maybe I'll go to see my family in the country to learn how to work the field, sell everything I have and settle on a farm or something...

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LibertyOrDeath008

I am presently in alaska about to do exactly what you are talking about. It can be done. there are few who have done it and are still alive to talk about it. the best thing is to talk to the natives of alaska. a little vodka, a few cigarettes, maybe even a beer or two and they will open right up. the main thing is don't get in a hurry. keep your head on straight, think using common sense along with common knowledge. If you are serious, we could both go together. post a note here and I will tell you where to meet. I have had it with society, its bs, and the "paids" syndrome. Politicians,attornies,insurance sellsmen,doctors,scientists. see you when you get here.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   

We had a family therapist that lived in Alaska for awhile and she said that while the state is absolutely breath takingly beautiful in spring and summer, for the most part, it is a cold, dark and depressive place to live day in and day out.

Not having enough sun, alot of rain and snow and gloom can alter your thinking process.

Alaska has been known to have a very high suicide rate compared to other areas.

One other thing to consider. I noticed that the older I get the more I "need" sunshine and warmth. When you are young you can tolerate almost anything but when you get older the cold seems to penetrate into your bones more readily.

Once last thought, movies sometime inspire us but Sean Penn while making this movie probably had a heated trailer, a doctor, a caterer and a whole host of comforts you will not have access too. While movies make stuff look desirable the hard cold fact is Alaska is a very harsh enviroment and living "off the grid" often times requires years and years of "practice".

Once on our honeymoon in Canada we stayed at a gypsy camp because we could not afford to stay at a KOA. That night it rained and a prop plane came in and landed in the lake near us. The pilot, I will never forget this gentleman, got out of his plane, grabbed his propeller, went into the general store, bargined to repair out back his propeller and sleep in the store that night and by five am the next morning he was back in the air, gone. A most unusual charector, a true rugged individual. He looked like he had had a very hard life. We didn't get to talk to him but he looked like the years had taken quite a toll on him.

[edit on 13-11-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malzypants

Where I live, which is central western canada, we get as cold as -40 degrees celcius in the winter. Schools don't shut down, buses keep running. That's nothing.

We get it, you're super tough. Guess what? Schools in alaska don't shut down either. It is optional past -50 though. Occasionally it gets below -60 here in fairbanks. And it gets colder than that in other places where people live in 'third world conditions.'

Your post is useless, and so is mine. Nobody wants to hear anybody brag about their living conditions.

To the thread starter, there are tons of freaking mosquitoes in the summer, and not a whole lot of easily killed/eaten game. The squirrels are barely big rats, and most everything else is better at hiding than you're likely to be at finding.

Forest in the lower 48 may be closer to civilization, but they're also a lot more accommodating.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
OP- I have had the same desire to leave society. I often don't feel that I fit in where I am. People don't think like me here, they're driven by material gain, pop culture and mindless distractions.
But recently I've been wanting to leave for the same reasons as you, the approaching threat, that gut feeling that the society we have built (the one I don't like very much anyway) is about to collapse.

I would suggest that if you really want to leave society, look at all the options.

There is a good chance that you may find another group of people somewhere who share your ideals.

All over the world there are groups, communes and smaller societies feeling just as separated from society, and thriving, have you considered approaching them?
I think as more and more people see what is happening around them in the cities and towns, they're increasingly realizing that the only option for them is stepping backwards, away from the central leadership, into smaller communities where they rely solely on their small group for whatever they need.

You seem as though you have the perfect attitude and mind-set for this kind of life, even if only for a while to see what it's like. You obviously make friends easily, crave change, and are committed to whatever it is you find yourself doing. I think any small community would welcome someone like you.

Joining such a group of people will allow increased security should the SHTF, as long as eyes and ears are open to the world at large. And if there is then a further threat to you, wherever you are, at least you have a greater understanding of survival, a better set of new skills and possibly some people who you know who'll want to move further away to safety too.

The only aspect I would say to be on the lookout for is religion. Groups founded on religious beliefs rather than social or ecological ALWAYS become abusive, unpredictable, dangerous and often dictatorial.
But with the new ecological attitudes becoming more widespread, there are an increasing number of smaller societies popping up and disconnecting from mainstream society and globalization. And it no longer means complete disconnection from the world either, you can still retain communications and some sense of the world around you, if you wish.

I hope my opinion helps you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join