It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists meet for alien summit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Scientists meet for alien summit

news.bbc.co.uk

The origins of life in our galaxy and the search for alien life outside our solar system will be at the forefront of discussions by experts in Edinburgh.

The scientists are gathering at Edinburgh's Royal Observatory for this year's annual workshop, which runs from Wednesday until Friday.

Members of the public will also hear about some of the research in this year's public talk, 'Are We Alone?'.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
At last this area of discussion in the mainstream is becoming more open , people who want to study this kind of thing are not afraid to speak out in fear of losing the precious research grant when Mr Fat cat finds out your blowing his cash on little green men.

The information is flowing at a fair old pace and it almost feels as if we are being conditioned for some important news at some point.

This confirms for me , that the majority of mainstream scientist believe in life elsewhere.

I mean scientists are logical , why waste so many resources for a shot in the dark ... they have done the math and the odds are very very good.

I also dont believe in a cover up at the scientific level , maybe on a military level or governmental.

I bet anyone working at N.A.S.A or any of these scientists would crawl on their belly over broken glass with thier flies unzipped to be the one to discover , with proof that life exsists elsewhere.

Good on them i say ! i hope they come up with new and exciting ways of spoting and identifying planets

It is only a matter of time.........

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I am rather intrigued at the wording from the snippet; that the origin of life is being enframed as from our "galaxy'. Very intriguiging; would have thought that the scientists involved would have focused upon earth as the only consensually accepted location of life. Galaxy broadens the paramaters to a rather extreme level, does it not/

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidself
I am rather intrigued at the wording from the snippet; that the origin of life is being enframed as from our "galaxy'. Very intriguiging; would have thought that the scientists involved would have focused upon earth as the only consensually accepted location of life. Galaxy broadens the paramaters to a rather extreme level, does it not/

yes interesting pick up.

wasn't their a MSM article recently about the building blocks for life being found in a meteorite?

Maybe they know life was seeded from elsewhere( artificially or natural)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Yes here we go March of this year .

SCIENCE DAILY LINK

ScienceDaily (Mar. 13, 2008) — The organic soup that spawned life on Earth may have gotten generous helpings from outer space, according to a new study. Scientists at the Carnegie Institution have discovered concentrations of amino acids in two meteorites that are more than ten times higher than levels previously measured in other similar meteorites. This result suggests that the early solar system was far richer in the organic building blocks of life than scientists had thought, and that fallout from space may have spiked Earth's primordial broth.

If the early solar system was TEEMING with the building blocks for life , it makes sense this life would find a way were ever it was possible. and what about all the other billions of solar systems.

Maybe they have seen something a little closer to home eh

[edit on 8/10/08 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This is exciting.
I just hope it is all we wish for.
A. They don't want to kill us
B. They don't feed off our blood
C. They don't make us into slaves
D. They don't harvest us or the planet

It would be great if all of our human dreams come true and so many of us end the waiting game and find our purpose.
Fingers crossed!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
yes - it is easy for scientists "these days" to believe in meteorites splashing down all kinds of delicious organic materials - but it wasnt always so. metorites themselves were dubious as an explanation for anything not all that long ago. The reference to the galaxy stuck out for me because of Crick s panspermia theories.

www.daviddarling.info...

It is difficult to totally dismiss the co-discoverer of DNA. It may be that they are not involved with debunking life from extra-solar systems but rather the whole "directed" idea.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
the only reason i can think they would want to supress such information in the past was the fear of mass panic, and religous hysteria.

strange thing is ( after quickly browsing your link) if that type of theory is ever proven that it was seeded by intelligence. does this not actualy confirm the exsistance of ' GOD ' . its just not GOD as most mass organised religions accept .

But surely it would promote calm knowing that yes we were created on purpose.

sadly this leads me to think .. Why create us?

i hope its not for any of the 4 points SEEWHATUDO listed lol

thanx for the link i will peruse deeper into it.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidself

That is a cool link, diving in.

Yes. Squirrel, after looking at the link um, we might have a problem

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
heh. I like how you cut to the chase so quickly. why create us indeed? Personally I probably fall more into the "infectious" camp; but not necessarily precluding intelligent direction. Aside from the question of why - (which as an aside - I think any mature extra-solar sentient race would want to infect not only life but the possibility of sentient life for well let s face it - obvious reasons) the problem is of infinite regress - life had to develop somewhere sometime -- first. So I ve always wondered what the very first sentient technologically inclined inter-extra- solar species was. I have a very robust trust in nature as such and I tend to believe that if the universe supports intelligence (George Bush aside) then it must be implicit in that universe to start with. No other conclusion seems logical to me nowadays. So this in potentia intelligence I see as immanent in nature itself - which is a really longabout way of saying your statement of "God" has something to it.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
reply to post by liquidself

That is a cool link, diving in.

Yes. Squirrel, after looking at the link um, we might have a problem

I've said it before and i will say it again.

If evolution was a natural process and we did evolve through the laws of 'survival of the fittest' then these laws would apply to the universe .. possibly

the survival of the fittest law may apply on a galactic scale?

we might be in our rights to be afraid of such an occurence.........Because we have no idea how far down the pecking order we are....

However for a civilization to advance far enough to traverse the vast distances of space and huge resources in getting here i would hope they may have evolved beyond this ingrained mindset.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

At last this area of discussion in the mainstream is becoming more open , people who want to study this kind of thing are not afraid to speak out in fear of losing the precious research grant when Mr Fat cat finds out your blowing his cash on little green men.

This area of discussion has be openly discussed for a long time. There is no new willingness. Here are just a few of the conference which have occured over past decade. There have been many more.
www.ifa.hawaii.edu...
opa.yale.edu...
www.loc.gov...
www.grc.org...
patriot.net...
www.eurekalert.org...
www.datasync.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidself
hI tend to believe that if the universe supports intelligence (George Bush aside) then it must be implicit in that universe to start with.

LOL

The fleeting thought i always have when discussing this topic .. is .... if the universe is infinate then the probability of life occuring is 1 in 1 .. What if we are that 1 chance? what if intelligent sentient life in the universe begins here?

Although a slim chance it cannot be excluded. but with our solar system being relatively new i suspect many civilizations have progressed and died throughout the history of the universe way, way before we arrived on the scene.

After writing this i hope not , how depressing that would be ..to be alone .. if Humans are the best the universe can come up with , i dont think sentient life is gonna make it.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

In my opinion , MSM coverage of such events have recieved much much more attention in the past year or two than usual .. i'm not saying the scientist never spoke about these topics before. i just think they speak louder about it nowadays.

I conceded this might not be a unique event , but with the masses of Annon users and probably more dare i say it .. sheeple... like people browsing ATS i thought i would throw it up to get the word out that mainstream science does take this topic seriously.

you must remember the average joe is not as enlightened on alternative topics as the good people of ATS like yourself . that bother to do thier own research.

anyway all that aside.

Instead of picking up on 1 slightly closed point.

I would be interested on your thoughts on the spirit of this thread?

Do you think their out their? whats the best way to search ? how long before they announce something? if anything?.. will we search forever?

i eagerly await your reply.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

I don't think there is currently life elsewhere in our solar system. But if it is found on one of our neighbor planets or moons, I won't be shocked, it won't shake the foundations of my personal reality. That sounds like a contradiction but it isn't because I do accept that there are things that I, and probably more importantly, modern science don't know. I would be surprised, but I like surprises (of this sort) and I think, like you said, most of those involved in scientific pursuits like surprises as well. I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt even if the hunt may be in vain.

I do not believe that intelligent life has ever existed elsewhere in our solar system. I do not believe that we are being visited by other intelligences. My personal reality does not provide a means of overcoming the immense barriers to intelligence developing on the other planets of our system or traveling to our system from another. If I am proven wrong in either of these--I will be shocked. But I'm pretty sure I would survive it.

I do believe there is life elsewhere in our galaxy and in the myriad other galaxies. I do not see how there cannot be. Unfortunately, I also believe that it will be a very long time before the human race, or whatever it may turn into, ever sees any of it. In this I truly hope to be proven wrong.

Hey, that's not bad. I think I'll put it in my profile. Thanks for the kick in the butt.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ty for the reply your view points mirror many of my own.

Life in our solar system? microbial possibly but thats it imho 'no sexy women from venus abducting us and asking us to show them more of the earth thing called kissing i am afraid.

Sentient life in our galaxy ? hell yeah

civilization devoloping somewhere with the ability to traverse the distance .. interesting one.. the universe may be teaming with sentient life Unable to visit each other .. unless faster than light communication was developed its gonna be hard to talk remotely without the topic being stupidly out of date.
Althought i think communication at a quantum level may solve the above problem .

But hey what do i know when they built the first automobile they said if you went over 30mph you would be squashed flat so FTL travel may happen but would have to be done creatively ie wormhole, warp drive etc etc , light speed would have to be circumvented

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   

top topics

join