It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early election called in Ukraine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Early election called in Ukraine

www.cnn.com

Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko dissolved Parliament on Wednesday and called a snap election, dashing hopes for the revival of a pro-Western coalition and throwing the politically volatile ex-Soviet nation into further turmoil.

The vote will be the third parliamentary election in less than three years and will deal a blow to an economy already battered by the global financial crisis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Speaking in a televised address to the nation aired late Wednesday, Yushchenko accused his Orange Revolution partner Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko of ignoring national interests for the sake of acquiring power.

"I am deeply convinced that the democratic coalition was ruined by one thing -- the ambition of one person, the hunger for power ... and the dominance of personal interests over national ones," Yushchenko said.

wow, didn't see that one coming..

Tymoshenko said calling an election before late November would be unconstitutional and has vowed to challenge such a decision.

Yushchenko defended his decision as the only way to preserve the country's democracy and national interests.

in this case, does "national" mean "personal"?

what are everyone's thoughts on this? it all just sounds shady to me...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Yushchenko pulled out of the their nine-month-old coalition last month, after Tymoshenko sided with the opposition to trim his powers and over disagreements related to ties with Russia.

so because Tymoshenko wants to limit Yushchenko's presidential power, he's accusing her of getting greedy with power? is this jealousy, or just twisted logic to throw off the public from the real agenda, whatever that may be?

Yushchenko and Tymoshenko

Andrei Portnov, deputy chief of the Tymoshenko Bloc in parliament, condemned the president's decision as "unconstitutional and senseless".

"What happened today was 100% provoked by the president, who is the one standing behind the coalition's collapse," he said.

"We will not vote for any bill legalising these anti-constitutional acts of the president."

Viktor Yanukovych, leader of the Party of Regions, described the dissolution of parliament as the "death knell" for Ukraine's current leadership, and said his party was ready fight an early election.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 8-10-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
does anyone think something like this could happen in the U.S.?

early election? late election? no election?!

i'm not too familiar with U.S. foreign relations...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

When it comes down to it, in the U.S., the president can do whatever it wants to do. There are loop holes for everything and the democratic republic is one giant contradiction. This is not a perfect form of Government nor is it a perfect constitution. It's dreamy and it sounds nice, but is no where near what is needed to last the ages.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Ukraine is the most battled place on earth right now but you very seldom hear just how bad it really is. Back in the last election I had an opportunity to go to work there with UNDP as a monitor, that I subsequently had to turn down because I didn't have the guts to stare down the potential death awaiting me there. In hindsight, I regret it once I found out from 2 others that I knew how well they were treated and how much they drank lol! They also told me some of the most beautiful women on earth are there, which at the time I would have stared death in the face for, had I known! Hehehe!

Extremely genuine people but an extremely corrupted underground that is EVERYWHERE and in your face quite clearly. I hope and pray they keep their independence while straightening out this mess. It's a coup by a pro Russian agenda that is *very* likely to win this time.

Cote D'Ivoire has had similar trouble with parties pushing monitors around and casting them out, saying they are meddling and spying etc. They like their corrupt ways and intend to keep it that way when UNDP are out of sight.
Ukraine is all within and what is within is x-soviets.

Two ladies I would've loved to, in a perfect world, get to know better...
Yulia Tymoshenko & Sarah Palin. LOL!

[edit on 8-10-2008 by Atlantican]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
This topic has already been posted:

Ukraine in snap election warning

Please continue discussion in the above-linked thread, and please read the section about repeat topics in this link.

I would recommend those that replied to this thread move their quality replies over to the original thread.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join