It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran unveils plan for women's car

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Iranians are basically alright people on an individual basis... same issue dealing with them as dealing with us, Half the people there are basically alright, but nutjob government in place

BTW Do they allow Neon Lights on the underbelly of cars there? because Phx has banned them and I don't want to get in trouble and I like driving fast across the Desert

So HEY!

While this talk is of cars!

I just got the State of California to give me my Drivers Liscence rights back again and can Drive again...

Had me on a National database can you believe that?

How fast can this thing go? Anyone know?

I'll drive a Girls car if it has something decent under the hood...

Is there a speed limit in Iran? In the mts and stuff?

I almost got time last time I had a liscence... I need in depth info on places where the cops look the other way

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I cant help but wonder if they restrict the speed of theses cars some how . Can you imagine if a girl in a girl car passed a man in a "man" car on the open road in Iran and how he might take it ?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I used to work with an Iranian girl about a year ago. She was the sweetest, nicest person one could ever hope to meet. I had some pretty outdated views about Iran before I met her and after getting to know her I feel more than ashamed for thinking of Iran the way I previously did.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm not entirely familiary with the way of life in Iran, but I was under the impression that women didn't generally drive...? So perhaps, instead of viewing this as a sexist move on their part (the automatic transmission, the "femenine" colors, etc...) we can look at this as a small step towards liberation for women in their country...

- Carrot

[edit on 10/7/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

Iranian life is not that different from American, Aussie, British etc etc way of life. Just because they live in the Middle East does not necessarily mean they are cave dwellers. They have a level of sophistication equal to that of the western world.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

lol. I didn't mean that I thought the people of Iran lived in caves lol, Perhaps I wasn't entirely clear ...

I mean, that I'm not familiar with their laws, their beliefs, and their way of life. I was under the impression that women didn't usually drive....and if it is the case (that women don't usually drive) then producing a car for the women TO drive, isn't necessarily a bad thing. It might appear to be sexist, or some other thing, but I would look at it as a step for the women.

- Carrot

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
well baby steps I guess,hey it's a step in the right direction ,gotta be a good thing from what I can see. Now if we can get them to stop throwing acid in their faces that would be awesome. < that's a reference to an article I saw on MSN online about many women in Muslim countries are having acid thrown in their faces for crimes like , being the sister or daughter or wife of a man who committed a crime.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

Alot of people, especially in this thread, seem to be confused between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

SA:

- US Ally
- Bans women drivers
- Prevents them taking up employment or education
- Makes them cover up
- Doesn't allow mixing of the sexes AT ALL in public and is generally an unpleasant place.

Iran:

US Enemy
- Allows women to be educated the same as men
- Allows women into the workplace and some even hold high office
- Allows mixing of the sexes in most public places
- Doesn't force women to wear burkahs et al but rather just encourages them to cover their heads, even then, most women in urban Iran flount the modesty laws quite freely
- On top of that, is relatively advanced technologically and socially, especially when compared against the other countries in the ME.

I recommend reading up on modern Iran to dispel some preconceptions. I'm not saying the place is perfect, but we (the West) prop up far worse places and call them friends.

[edit on 7/10/08 by stumason]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
This thread is full of fail.

Iran has discovered target marketing. Good for them, I guess.

Nothing new under the sun. GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Suzuki, Mazda, Nissan, Honda, Land Rover... all of them have cars marketed towards women. Ford even put out a SUV concept a few years back that had an onboard washing machine, presumably so the soccer moms could keep up with the washing...

Iran is just following the lead.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I was under the impression that the minivan was invented years ago. At least that is sorta what it sounds like they are describing.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
This thread is full of fail.

Iran has discovered target marketing. Good for them, I guess.

Nothing new under the sun. GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Suzuki, Mazda, Nissan, Honda, Land Rover... all of them have cars marketed towards women. Ford even put out a SUV concept a few years back that had an onboard washing machine, presumably so the soccer moms could keep up with the washing...

Iran is just following the lead.

No kidding. Mazda Miata, Ford Flex (hell the commercials openly say that your kids will approve of it), Toyota RAV4 was originally advertised to women.

If cars were not marketed to women in NA, why do we have the color choices we do? If it was up to men it would be 8 bit color.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

It is an older idea than that even. The early electric cars were marketed to women and well received. Hand cranking Model T Fords wasn't considered ladylike, and often broke arms if the proper starting procedures weren't followed prior to turning the crank. There are a lot of cars that are referred to as chick cars.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Okay! So I pledge not to suggest the addition of an inflatable protective barrier 'round the car, or or a big red button on the dash that dials 911, or orange paint on all concrete abutments. It would be wrong of me to suggest these things and more.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Going to be hard to drive with a veil over the windshield. I bet the seatbelt locks them in as well, and only men have the keys to unlock their harness.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

And yet again, another poster with an ingnorant view of Iran.

What you just said is more likely to represent Saudi, not Iran.

I suppose you think you're being funny and will come back with "Where's your sense of humour?" or some such, but if I was to tout negative stereotypes (especially ones which were so blatanly wrong) of the USA, people like you and Centurion would be the first to bitch and whine, and rightfully flame me for it.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

If you just stop to realize that the majority of ignorant people don't come here to free themselves of their ignorance but rather stroke their own egos and defend their political and social comfort zones from the harsh truth you'd be a happier person. There is a reason the dumb and willingly oppressed are numerous and many; They propagate the fastest

[edit on 8-10-2008 by metro]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Hey Kids, Iran is beautifull, great artists, I AM TRULY SAD they will be rebuilding with ugly cheap fake western materials after their country is destroyed. The Israelys and Americans have truly made whores out of their own women and I know that mesogeny is rampant across the globe as is sex addiction. The chador would be a great time out for our Britneys and Parisses, it would prevent us the embarressment of seeing their chewchews as they get out of gas guzzling chauffeur limousines drunk and stoned.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by CA_Orot

Alot of people, especially in this thread, seem to be confused between Saudi Arabia and Iran.

SA:

- US Ally
- Bans women drivers
- Prevents them taking up employment or education
- Makes them cover up
- Doesn't allow mixing of the sexes AT ALL in public and is generally an unpleasant place.

Iran:

US Enemy
- Allows women to be educated the same as men
- Allows women into the workplace and some even hold high office
- Allows mixing of the sexes in most public places
- Doesn't force women to wear burkahs et al but rather just encourages them to cover their heads, even then, most women in urban Iran flount the modesty laws quite freely
- On top of that, is relatively advanced technologically and socially, especially when compared against the other countries in the ME.

I recommend reading up on modern Iran to dispel some preconceptions. I'm not saying the place is perfect, but we (the West) prop up far worse places and call them friends.

[edit on 7/10/08 by stumason]

Your right stumason, Iran is not a backwards country whatsoever, the people there are not disimilar to the western world, they strive for everything we have, unfortunately though they ARE severly restricted. Women do not have nearly the same rights as men. Women and men are discouraged of mixing in public areas. Moral police, especially since Ahmadinejad came to office are prevelant on the streets in Tehran and at many malls, enforcing strictly islamic dress. Even men are not safe, many men are cautioned and arrested for having "western" hair cuts and wearing immoral t-shirts etc.. The north of Tehran is somewhat more relaxed. Regarding women drivers, there is no clear discrimination towards them on the roads. They are genrally treated as equals.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join