It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by vox2442
This thread is full of fail.
Iran has discovered target marketing. Good for them, I guess.
Nothing new under the sun. GM, Ford, Dodge, Toyota, Suzuki, Mazda, Nissan, Honda, Land Rover... all of them have cars marketed towards women. Ford even put out a SUV concept a few years back that had an onboard washing machine, presumably so the soccer moms could keep up with the washing...
Iran is just following the lead.
Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by CA_Orot
Alot of people, especially in this thread, seem to be confused between Saudi Arabia and Iran.
- US Ally
- Bans women drivers
- Prevents them taking up employment or education
- Makes them cover up
- Doesn't allow mixing of the sexes AT ALL in public and is generally an unpleasant place.
- Allows women to be educated the same as men
- Allows women into the workplace and some even hold high office
- Allows mixing of the sexes in most public places
- Doesn't force women to wear burkahs et al but rather just encourages them to cover their heads, even then, most women in urban Iran flount the modesty laws quite freely
- On top of that, is relatively advanced technologically and socially, especially when compared against the other countries in the ME.
I recommend reading up on modern Iran to dispel some preconceptions. I'm not saying the place is perfect, but we (the West) prop up far worse places and call them friends.
[edit on 7/10/08 by stumason]