It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Fossett Items Found in Mammoth Lakes, CA: FAA ID Cards?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by carewemust
Yes..how true! He probably had a cell phone with him too. We know
that federal law enforcement tracks and nabs suspects who forget to
turn off their cellphones between calls. Unless Steve's cell was
fatally damaged in the crash, he should have been located in that way
too. Did the FBI or CIA get involved in the search? I don't remember.
-cwm

I wondered about the cell phone too. I think they can trace it to the last tower a call pinged. If he didn't make a call from the plane, a cell phone trace probably wouldn't help.

(Edits to correct my quoting error.)

[edit on 10/1/2008 by Aislin]

[edit on 10/1/2008 by Aislin]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I know the area the items were found very well, the stuff was found in madera county, so he was on the west side of the crest, of the sierra nevada mtns.
The weather is extremely unpredictable in the late summer or fall and huge thunderstorms will blow up in minutes.
I bet on his way back to the ranch he got turned around by a storm and over flew his destination.

WAAAY off course.

Calling it rugged does not do the area justice.

There is no way he survived puting a plane down in there.
Now that they know where to look the plane will be found eventually, might be 60 years, but it will be found.

If some one cpould tell me how to insert a pic without a link to it, I'll post a pic of the area the stuff was found in. I know it llike the back of my hand.

It will be difficult, because it would have been crushed down by the 20' or more of snow the area recieves.
I was already going riding on my motorcycle in the area this weekend, maybe I'll get off the beaten path a little and look around.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I know the area the items were found very well, the stuff was found in madera county, so he was on the west side of the crest, of the sierra nevada mtns.
The weather is extremely unpredictable in the late summer or fall and huge thunderstorms will blow up in minutes.
I bet on his way back to the ranch he got turned around by a storm and over flew his destination.

WAAAY off course.

Calling it rugged does not do the area justice.

There is no way he survived puting a plane down in there.
Now that they know where to look the plane will be found eventually, might be 60 years, but it will be found.

If some one cpould tell me how to insert a pic without a link to it, I'll post a pic of the area the stuff was found in. I know it llike the back of my hand.

It will be difficult, because it would have been crushed down by the 20' or more of snow the area recieves.
I was already going riding on my motorcycle in the area this weekend, maybe I'll get off the beaten path a little and look around.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
whoa howd that happen

sorry for the double

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Reports on the radio are saying a wreckage has been spotted from the air.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
[edit on 2-10-2008 by hoppy]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Oh, by the way its a long way to anywhere with cell coverage from there, on the west side its a good 30 miles to get a signal,I know from personal experience.
I have friends with a cabin about 15 miles before the area on the only road into there.

And we have to go another 10 miles "down the hill" to a spot on a ridge to get a signal, depending on carrier.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by hoppy

that didnt take long, now that they new where to look

its too bad, I know someone who was personal freinds with mr fosset, and it seems like he was a good guy.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Breaking News Early Thrusday Morning OCT 2:
It looks as if they have found aircraft wreckage near the discovery of Fossett's IDs
Steve Fossett's Plane Wreckage Possibly Found in California

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Where did you get that location? Was it actually on the peninsula like divide?

What an AWESOME area! Those peaks there are stunning. I have to dust off my backpacking gear and drag my wife into the Sierras. (I'm looking at photo links on Google Earth.) I used to pack for weeks in areas just like this . Never got enough.

So this is pretty rough country to get to. Lots of granite though and exposed area. Trees at that altitude are much more scarce.

And, Yes, the excuse for the material in one spot might have been he was on foot. I kinda doubt he could land in that country anywhere and survive, unless he made a water landing and tried to drop it close to shore in any body of water he could get to. IF, not a catastrophic failure at altitude.

Having a choice? Water landing, not rock. So waiting for the detail. I wonder if he tried for water?

ZG

[edit on 10/2/2008 by ZeroGhost]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
WOW! I just tried something very interesting.

For those of you who have Google Earth Pro, there is a flight simulator you can actually use. (Look under Tools) I set it for the spot that Blaine91555 pinpointed and tried flying around the area in a SR22 high performance aircraft with 310 horsepower. I used a flight stick.

Here is a few pictures of the lake.

I fail to see anything even remotely resembling a landing strip.

It is really scary terrain to fly in. Adding the treacherous wind currents around the peaks and the canyons is scary as it gets. He was a guy with guts to fly anywhere near there down below the peaks.

Just to try to get to the lake in between these peaks looks nuts. He must of had some real problems or just fell out of the air.

Try the flight sim. You'll see it is no place to fly anything easily or without a good insurance carrier and an angel as navigator.

ZG

[edit on 10/2/2008 by ZeroGhost]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
One more possibility - he survived the crash, went walking for help, and was chewed on by a bear/other hungry animal. Bearing in mind (no pun intended) that his wallet was most likely made from leather, any carnivore would see it as a nice treat. Especially bears. Colbert was right.

Here's a breakdown of the facts, some of which some here don't seem to remember (which is to be expected - it was a while back)

1. His plane's emergency transponder was an old variety notorious for failing to work after a crash
2. He didn't have a cellphone on him, nor a GPS unit
3. His Breitling Emergency watch was left at home
4. The terrain his plane is in is incredibly inhospitable. A wreckage could easily be hidden among the trees, or in a body of water. The mountains in the area would also hamper radar (both active and passive) from tracking his route
5. Heavy objects and light objects can be found quite a distance away from each other after a crash, simply because of the different way the wind effects them
6. Airports don't always have active radar, but radar that works by tracking transponders fitted to aircraft. If a plane doesn't have one, or if it's not working, to these radars, the plane is invisible
7. He didn't file a flight plan, or indeed tell anyone his intended route.
8. To Fossett, a flight like he planned is the same as any of us driving a few hours to see a relative - no big deal

There's nothing suspicious about any of this. These things, unfortunately, happen frequently. It's only because this is a guy we've heard of before that this is seen as a conspiracy by some folks. If he turns up in the background of MTV TRL, then we have something to think about. Until that happens, this is just a tragedy of the kind that unfolds all around the world quite regularly.

reply to post by Grafilthy

Pilots often carry cash with them, in case they have to land somewhere and refuel. Not everywhere accepts credit cards.

[edit on 2/10/08 by dave420]

[edit on 2/10/08 by dave420]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:54 AM
link   
i just read it at the newspaper and found this article....probably someone post it already...i dunno

FoxNews

i hope they find him and his family get their peace back..it must be a torture missing a family member and don't know what happend...

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

NTSB: Plane Wreckage Found in California May Be Steve Fossett's

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) went to the eastern part of the state to analyze what appeared to be the remnants of a small plane — discovered overnight by searchers not far from where a hiker came across Fossett's personal effects earlier in the week

Looks like they may have found him. They have found a plane....although remember they found a lot of crashed planes during the other searches.

Made me wonder how many crashed small aircraft are all over areas like the Gulf, the Desert etc...smugglers who just dissapear..never heard from again..the loss of the aircraft never reported.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Very fishy. I also think he is walking on Mars right now. There is no way the Nevada CAP could have missed his plane. The Hiltons ordered extra sattilite passes. Even if he had flown into a cave he would have been found by now.
Why would he dump the cards and money?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Reports are that they have found the plane and verified it was his. Reports also said Saddam had WMDs. Reports are so full of it. I guess I have to call and find out from an individual.

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 2-10-2008 by earthman4]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
BBc news is reporting that they have found the plane or a plane this is the link to the bbc site.BBCnews steve fossit

their could be a chance he is still aliveI would like to think so he must have a knowledge of survivle and looking from some of the photos of the terrain and area looks like food and water can be found. but if he had anything broken in the crash animals or elements would have taken it's toll on him in due time.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Both human and animal hair were found on the clothing.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by earthman4

how many of you have considered the possibility he committed suicide? sure, he was an accomplished navigator but nobody is immune to mechanical failures. why would he bring so little in the way of communications equipment? obviously that would make the $1005 that was found part of some kind of emergency kit he kept on the plane, because someone who's going to kill themselves doesn't need cash.

besides that, the only other plausible scenario would be animals scattering/eating his remains.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Wasn't there a report when he first disappeared that some campers in Yosemite had heard a plane crash?? I thought I read it here on ATS. I have tried searching but cant seem to find the post. I think it was in the post where Steve visited his wife in the kitchen.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join