It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Fossett Items Found in Mammoth Lakes, CA: FAA ID Cards?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Now they found human remains.

Hopefully enough for DNA id.

He went head on into mountain.

ED: I was on the thread at his disappearance.
If he called in his flight like JFK he would have been found faster.
And we would have a plot of flight.

[edit on 10/2/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Tis a sad ending indeed.

One comment about flight plans.
A whole lot of flying done in private aircraft is sans a filed flight plan.
It's part of the training and an excellent idea when you're going out of your area, but it works just about as well if a trusted friend or family member is apprised of your plans, flight times, destination etc.

That's a nice aspect of VFR flight since most of it is somewhat local.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
oops

[edit on 2-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
The latest news confirms what I suspected. Steve either got caught in a severe downdraft or became unconcious due to altitiude. Anyway his plane slammed into the mountain head-on most likely at a speed over 150 knots which would be a fatal crash for sure.

It's a tragic end to a great pilot but flying is one of the most unforgiving of all human activities when it comes to errors. It apparently looks like this was one of them but we'll have to wait for the official NTSB report finding.

I've photographed many of them in my time as the official accident investigation photographer. My heart goes out for his wife and family.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by airforce47

At this time of year i suspect he got caught in a t storm, he didnt loose conciousnous becauase of altitude, its only 12k ' there.
His plane couldnt go high enough for him to lose to conciousnus.

He got turned around and over flew his landing area.

I found where baron hiltons ranch is, its in mason valley nv, north of a small town called yerrington.

He was way off course, and threaded the needle between June mtn and mammoth mtn , to run into the minarets.
There is no reason for him to fly that direction on purpose, and mammoth and june mtns are very distinct, among the rest of the high sierra peaks, they are obviously volcanoes.

I have a question for the aeronauticaly inclined, did the aircraft he was flying have an auto pilot.

I ask because of the possiblility that maybe he wasnt concious when the aircraft crashed( heart attack or stroke).
Because honestly it would be very hard to mistake crossing the sierra with, say a small mtn range like you would find in nv.

Either he could not see where he was, caught in a t storm, or he was out, if the plane had an auto pilot.
Other wise he was just hopelesly lost .

Since he was looking for a dry lake bed to try a world land speed record, he would havew gone to the east/n east into nevada

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
isnt Baron Hilton ...................like not even 2 years old?

and WHY is this child brought up in his instance??

Im kinda lost here....................(typical) ........ heh...........

[edit on 3-10-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Imma laugh my A off when he's found living in his plane, probly be able to offer the "rescuers" some food and water too...

SURVIVALISTS UNITE!

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
^^^^^^^^^^^

He's found dead, you unsympathetic emotionless [snip].

Next time read the whole thread before laughing at other people's misfortune.

[edit on 3-10-2008 by AntisepticSkeptic]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
reply to post by airforce47

At this time of year i suspect he got caught in a t storm, he didnt loose conciousnous becauase of altitude, its only 12k ' there.
His plane couldnt go high enough for him to lose to conciousnus.

He got turned around and over flew his landing area.

I found where baron hiltons ranch is, its in mason valley nv, north of a small town called yerrington.

He was way off course, and threaded the needle between June mtn and mammoth mtn , to run into the minarets.
There is no reason for him to fly that direction on purpose, and mammoth and june mtns are very distinct, among the rest of the high sierra peaks, they are obviously volcanoes.

I have a question for the aeronauticaly inclined, did the aircraft he was flying have an auto pilot.

I ask because of the possiblility that maybe he wasnt concious when the aircraft crashed( heart attack or stroke).
Because honestly it would be very hard to mistake crossing the sierra with, say a small mtn range like you would find in nv.

Either he could not see where he was, caught in a t storm, or he was out, if the plane had an auto pilot.
Other wise he was just hopelesly lost .

Since he was looking for a dry lake bed to try a world land speed record, he would havew gone to the east/n east into nevada

Highly doubtful there was an autopilot in the airplane.

Keep in mind that once the plane is trimmed it will stay at the trimmed altitude, but wander left or right due to the vagaries of winds aloft.

As a small example, if you trim a light plane for 3000' and descend to 2500' without changing trim or engine power settings the plane will climb back to 3000' with no input from the pilot.
The opposite is also true.
You can get the plane to climb a few hundred feet, but release the controls and it will go back to the altitude the trim was set for.

Surprising to me that he was looking for a Land Speed Record (LSR) site.
Bonneville comes to mind and they're set up for LSR running.

Black lake in the north of Nevada is where the Brits set the jet car land speed record.

If he needed some serious room, Lake Gairdner in Australia is a known LSR site and about 25 x 100 miles in size along with a very deep salt bed.

(Some areas of Bonneville Lake are too thin to run cars on due to the excessive potash mining that went on there for many years. They do have a restoration project going and the salt is - albeit slowly - coming back.)

Not sure what the weather was in the area the day of the crash, but thunderstorms can spring up pretty quick and surprise everyone including weather forecasters.

More than likely, the mountain winds were part of the problem.
Usually calm in the mornings and coming in during the early afternoon, it's fairly common for the winds to start earlier in the day and that may be what happened to Mr. Fossett.

The winds can roll over a mountain and have a descending trend down the other side.
Very few aircraft caught in these winds can climb out of them.

Oxygen is required for the pilot at altitudes 10,000' and above.
For passengers, 12,000 and above - unless the airplane is pressurized.
Pressurized aircraft usually maintain a pressure equivalent to 8000'.

Some pilots can handle the lesser oxygen of 10,000' better than others and some - perhaps Mr. Fossett? - are affected even earlier.

Hikers from out of the area will many times stay a day or two at 5000'-6000' before venturing into the high altitude areas on foot.

My considered guess is that Mr. Fossett suffered from hypoxia (lack of oxygen) and either lost his critical thinking abilities or passed out.

(Edited for clarification.)

[edit on 3-10-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

There was a massive storm in that area on the day he died. It's quite likely his plane got tossed into a mountain.

[edit on 3/10/08 by dave420]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Here's the Ed Dames video document posted on C2C. (sorry if this was posted earlier)

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

Remote viewing is an absolute, laughable joke.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yes, there were some big boomers that day, there usually are in this part of the sierra , this time of year.

I was only about 10 miles west of there that day, I wonder if the one of the planes we heard was him.

He was looking for a spot that's not Bonneville or one of the other well known salt flats.

And he was VERY experienced high altitude flyer, I cant see him being over come by hypoxia.

The reason I inquired about the autopilot is that there was absolutly no reason for him to be on that heading in that location, theres nowhere to go, he didnt have the range to make it to any airfield. And after he cleared the minarets it still would have been 100 miles to an airfield.
He had already flown between 2 giant landmarks, June mtn and mammoth mtn they are recognizable from a hundred miles away.
It would be awfully hard to mistake the sierra for one of the smaller ranges in nevada.
Maybe he had a heart attack or stroked out, if the plane had an autopilot.
I am reminded of two incidents; one was the greek? airliner that lost cockpit pressure at 30k something feet, and the pilots were incapcitated.
Then plane then flew on autopilot till it crashed, and a small private jet a couple of years ago, the pilot had a heart attack, and the plane flew on autopilot for 700 miles till it ran out of fuel and crashed.

Or maybe he found a spot for the LSR and stayed overly long, and it got dark on him while he was flying back, that kind of thing has lead to planes flying into mountains around here.

Heres a creepy side story about a lost airplane.
Some guy crashed his plane in the same area in the late fifties early sixties.
His younger brother was devastated by the loss, and spent a great deal of time looking for his crash.
After many years he gave up on finding his brother, then years later while just out camping and hiking, he found his brothers plane wreck.

how creepy is that

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
He was going to take part in a secret project to fly a plane to the bottom of the ocean...this is interesting!

www.cnn.com...#/video/tech/2008/10/03/dnt.fossett.secret.project.kgo

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Ummmm.....there is a difference between a 'Conspiracy Site' and an inability to differientiate facts from....well...insanity.

The fact that the remains of Steve Fossett have been found, surely eliminates ALL of the 'conspiracy theories' about his "disappearance".

We have seen, here on ATS...theories of him 'crossing into' some other realm....

However, now they have found the wreckage of his airplane...in fact the 'N'-number was displayed.

The focus should NOW be directed at what caused the crash...a single pilot, not inexperienced by any means....did his airplane suffer a mechanical failure? Why didn't his ELT transmit? Was it so remote that no passing airlplane, tuned to 121.5 (the Emergency freq, on VHF) heard the ELT?

Did he even have an ELT onboard (as required by FAA Regulations)??

Did he suffer any as yet unknown medical conditon?

Back to the ELT....if the ELT had been triggered, it would have been heard by passing aircraft (they WERE searching, after all...)

Airliners currently MONITOR 121.5, on VHF 2.....or at least, they are supposed to.

We do at MY airline.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Very interesting topology.. probably a better geo term.

Nothing but flat ground and high peaks.

Looks like he went into more and more peaks as he went to
see a flat road bed for land racing.

Some saved jpgs from the original missing thread:
img.photobucket.com...
img.photobucket.com...

JFK JR N-Tap shows flight (I said JFK before, perhaps correct at the time.)
img.photobucket.com...

Original thread might have more on plane, unless he borrowed it..
www.belowtopsecret.com...

ATC search

[edit on 10/3/2008 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

punkin.....I was typing while you were typing....so I am just now reading your post.

Yeah, you're right....Mr. Fossett knew a lot about how not to fly into T-Storms.....but, what was he flying, exactly? A Citabria?

I saw the 'N' number on the news....it was a 'personalized' 'N' number....and I forget the exact one....but I know it was 'personalized' because it was only five characters, including the 'N'....and it ended in two alphabetic characters.

So, can anyone tell us what kind of personal airplane Mr. Fossett chose to fly, on the day he disappeared???

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It was a Bellanca Citabria Super Decathlon, a single-engine two-seater.
i6.photobucket.com...

Here is some pics of the terrain he was flying through.
photo.net...

I don't think it would be that hard to believe someone in this very light aircraft could fly into a freak storm and try and get up over these mountains only to not have enough power against the storm and be forced into the side.

MAMMOTH LAKES, Calif. — Federal investigators said Friday that they were looking into bad weather as a possible cause of the crash of the plane of Steve Fossett, the millionaire adventurer who disappeared more than 13 months ago.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

Interesting....I KNOW what a Citabria is!!! I have flown aerobatics in one...do you know it can be flown by only one pilot? But, for CG purposes, if flown by one he flies in the forward seat?

Did you also know that, because of the design of the Citabria, the Instructor (if there is one, sits in the back seat?)

Let's get back to Mr. Fossett.

Here's an intersting question....WHY was he near Mammoth Lakes? (An area I am quite familar with) when he was supposed to be (according to media reports) flying in Nevada?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The terrain is MORE THAN RUGGED, I worked a fire in the area 25 years ago, and it was a 2 day hike from the end of the road to get there the west side of the mtns.

There are no places to land for almost 100 miles.

There are no "freak storms", huge thunderstorms are an everyday occurance in the high sierra.
Especially around the large river canyons that drain the sierra.
The San Joaquin river canyon is one of the deepest in the world.
over 10k feet deep at its deepest point.
The warm moist air flows up the river canyon in the afternoon, where it is forced higher by the nountains and thunderstorms form.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by punkinworks]

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join