It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good morning,...... coffee question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I got a percolator, but, when I use what I've read on the web about the correct measure of coffee per cup, (tablespoon) it seems really weak.
Anyone here know how much is good?
Thanks!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
1/8 cup of coffee grinds is a standard coffee measure.. That makes 2 cups of coffee.. So for 4 scoops fill the perc to the 8 cup line.
Enjoy . =)

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Depends on what kind a brew ya want.

The standard one scoop per cup will give you a almoast tea like coffee.

me I use 1.5 scoops to bout 2 scoops per cup. Thatl give ya the nice rich bold coffee.

My dad uses enough coffee grounds to make the brew be able to float a horse shoe. (them cowboys you know) It's the only coffee that you have to eat with a spoon.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks ya'll!
Now, I can really use it without guessing!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I have a coffee maker that makes 12 cups, and I never use the scoop to measure. I use a tablespoon, and 5 heaping tablespoons makes it perfect for me. I like strong black coffee.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I just grab a tight hand full of dark roast beans, put them in the grinder and grind to a powder. I use the drip process with a Melitta type filter and very cold water filtered with with a charcoal filter. This is for six cups of rich tasting coffee with absolutely no bitterness whatsoever. Don't even ask about my cigarette making process.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Thanks AD!
Is that 5 Tablespoons per 12 cups?

Hypervigilant;

What kind of beans?
Is Melitta a percolator?
Mines a Farberware Superfast. Doesn't have a filter.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Hi Clearskies, The Melitta filters are a German design that has been around for ever. They are available at most supermarkets but only fit certain automatic drip style coffee makers and only differ from other paper filters in that they are conical in shape except that the bottom part is sealed with about a 2 inch seam. The shape allows the grounds at the lower part of the cone to help in absorbing the oil that is present in coffee and the paper does the same as well. I change brands of beans every so often but for now I am using Beneto's dark roast whole bean coffee. I use an electric grinder and grind it to what would be considered an expresso or Turkish ground consistency which is as fine as it can be ground. I use a Brita filter (that also allows the water to be stored in the refrigerator) for the water that removes minerals and eliminates the taste of sodium hydrocloride. The cold water adds to the flavor because it contains more oxygen and also because it takes longer for the coffee maker to heat, slowing the rate of flow through the finely ground coffee and filter, allowing the finer grind to not cause over flowing. Darker roast beans have less oil, so that too allows for less bitterness and an easier time removing the ground coffee from the grinder. You can get beans in light or medium roast and also expresso or Turkish roast which to me taste burnt. The lighter the roast, the stronger the kick from caffeine and the more oil that adds bitterness, but it is still pretty good using these tricks if you just use less coffee. If you have trouble finding a drip type maker that uses Melitta filters the ones that use the basket type paper filters aren't bad at all, there is only a slight difference in taste. I have spent a lot of time looking for the perfect cup of coffee and I can tell the difference. My wife thought that I was totally weird going to such extremes as she was convinced that since she had grown up in a house hold that always swore by Folgers that it had to be the best. She too is now a coffee snob. She even found our present Gevalia coffee maker on a website and ordered it with out telling me. It was a deal at $14.95 and no shipping or handling.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

^^^^
Thank you!
Great info!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

Oh, the cold water makes a REALLY good coffee!
I'm using an 1/8th of a cup coffee per cup of water, works great!
Thanks everyone!

top topics

join