It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Glowing UFO over Sonora, California 21/9/08

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Electrostatic discharge perhaps... ever hear of such a thing?

Electricity floats.
Anywhere you want in the Cosmos.

I wonder if anyone went to the Moon in one of those.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
reply to post by tarifa37

Yes, its appearance amazes me: we would need someone who makes this type of observations every day. I honestly don't know if the sun, low at the horizon, could give it such an extremely bright appearance: an higly reflectant surface object may actually appear bigger that it really is: and of course, we can't ignore Phages' observation:
ISS was visible for three minutes, and the footage was taken exactly within those three minutes: besides, ISS should have gone out of sight at approx. 19:25:41 and in the footage it goes out of sight at approx 19:25:37 (but there are threes so it's hard to say it exactly.
This would be a very strange coincidence: i mean, the time match perfectly, while the appearance would need to be confirmed in some way, IMHO.

As an amateur astronomer and regular observer of the ISS, I can confirm that the image shown in the video is indeed the Space Station. The visual magnitude of -2.3 was the consequence of the very high elevation of this particular pass as seen from the observer's location. As confirmed by the Heavens Above data, the maximum altitude was 89 degrees, placing it virtually overhead. The OP said it passed 'over my house' also confirming its high elevation.
The ISS at such elevation exceeds all other heavenly bodies except the sun and the moon, though Venus exceeds this occasionally. Through an out of focus lens such as seen in the video, it will produce a very bright extended disc. Illumination by reflected sunlight is of course the explanation, being somewhere near the western horizon and barely 90 degrees away from the ISS. The rise and setting times published on Heavens Above are for observers with a clear view of the horizon in both directions. Clearly this observation was made from an urban location surrounded by buildings, trees, etc, so it would be impossible to see the ISS rising or setting at the exact times computed by Heavens Above.
Hope this helps.

WG3

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yes,thanks for clearing this up,Interesting video all the same,amazing to see it so bright.Case closed, well done to all involved its what ats is all about.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Sorry, From Miltary experience, and I don`t mean much kid. It`s obvious that your the brunt of a hoax, and not an elaborate one at that. At most it is a modified Parachute flare! Come on buddy ,If they got the tech ability to transport themselves from One area of space to another ,they will have better vehicles than that . And what need would the lights on the outside serve other than to alert other races to there presence.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Looks like a flare to me. I guess I am just skeptical of it falling straight down like that. Could be a UFO, but I am leaning towards flare.

Its not falling, its passing directly overhead.

Dude THAT IS ABSOLUTELY NOT A FLAIR, NOR IS IT A CHINESE LATERN

because its FIRE SEASON HERE.

THERE IS NOBODY WHO LIVES IN THAT AREA THAT WOULD DO SUCH A
THING AS SHOOT A FLARE INTO THE SKY.

They would literally be LYNCHED.

AND IF IT WAS A FLARE IT WOULD HAVE STARTED A CONFLAGERATION.

There is no outside burning of any kind allowed, even smoking out doors is a NO NO right now.

And besides HOLY CRAP that is exactly what I saw that I reported in this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A large brigth white orb

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
OK THEN MOST CERTAINLY NOT A FLARE, THE ISS IT SEEMS.

iF THE ISS IS IN A GENERALY SOUTH TO NORTH PATH AS IT PASSES OVER MY AREA, THEN WHAT I SAW WAS MOST CERTAINLY NOT THE ISS AS IT PASSED FROM ALMOST DUE WEST TO EAST.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks

Because the Earth rotates under it and its orbit is highly inclined, the path that the ISS traces over the surface changes a lot: Northish to Southish, Westish to Eastish.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

looks real to me,good find and thanks for posting

not a one liner

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
ITS A SATELITE... better luck next time.
Try looking the schedule of the satelites in real time while your scouting.

I saw a real ufo and it didint move on a straight path,
the moves change erratically and without a unic patron.
I spoted that mysterious ship(probably an upgraded within the AURORA project) from a coast in Peru 3 years ago, it was probably the most amazing thing a have seen in my life.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
OK THEN MOST CERTAINLY NOT A FLARE, THE ISS IT SEEMS.

iF THE ISS IS IN A GENERALY SOUTH TO NORTH PATH AS IT PASSES OVER MY AREA, THEN WHAT I SAW WAS MOST CERTAINLY NOT THE ISS AS IT PASSED FROM ALMOST DUE WEST TO EAST.

Hi are you Mark Olson the guy who took the footage,if so great job.I know how hard it is to frame this kind of thing and get good steady clear shot when zoomed. Surley this must be the Iss as the times are almost exact to the times on the camera,and the chances of that must be many thousands to one.
www.heavens-above.com...
www.heavens-above.com...

Its great footage of the ISS,and you should be pleased with the capture.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by tarifa37]

[edit on 23-9-2008 by tarifa37]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggyturbojim

Sorry, From Miltary experience, and I don`t mean much kid. It`s obvious that your the brunt of a hoax, and not an elaborate one at that. At most it is a modified Parachute flare! Come on buddy ,If they got the tech ability to transport themselves from One area of space to another ,they will have better vehicles than that . And what need would the lights on the outside serve other than to alert other races to there presence.

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.I think we have established that it was the ISS. as for sutible vehicals,if there are aliens out there we may have no idea what shape or form that they may take .They could be the vehicals(ufos) themselves,check my sightings out www.youtube.com... and stills of the object www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I guess its fair enough to think this is a vehicle (ISS or otherwise) but I live near a ministry of defence installation in england, and its a place where they test all kinds of things , from better tank shell casings , to the jet engines of the Thrust SSC (sonic boom producing car) and that thing looks to me very much like a slow drop flare. They used to test those buggers all the time , and I have seen more than my fair share of them

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by waveguide3

Thank you A LOT mate: that's exactly the type of post i was hoping to see in this thread. Given the exact timing match, and given that what we see is consistent with ISS appearance, i'd say that Phage hit the nail on the head.
And thanks to tarifa37 for sharing this very interesting footage, definately worthy to be discussed

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Thanks , I am always on the look out for "stand out sightings" that have the right feel about them,i.e not faked and genuine looking.I think the only question left on this video of the ISS is ,did he know what time it was due to show(we now know how easy it is to find out.)And if so was this a deliberate attempt to fool people in thinking that it may be a ufo. Or was he just very lucky to be out there that early in the evening with a camera in his hands at exactly the right time of the day that a pass was due?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by cristobalcohen
ITS A SATELITE... better luck next time.
Try looking the schedule of the satelites in real time while your scouting.

I saw a real ufo and it didint move on a straight path,
the moves change erratically and without a unic patron.

What makes you think the UFO you saw is the only type that exists?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Electrostatic discharge perhaps... ever hear of such a thing?

Possibly, but it appears to stay too consistent. Plasma or ball lightning is not known for holding together as long as shown in the video, being primarily composed of similarly-charged material. I think that the video shows it to be much too large for something like that. It doesn't appear to be a diffuse light coming from a pinpoint source, but a larger object either self-illuminated or reflecting light. It also has an apparently straight-line trajectory, which is also something electrostatic objects are not known for.

It's a puzzler.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Here ya go

www.youtube.com...

you see no one liner

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ogre14t

Here ya go

www.youtube.com...

you see no one liner

Thanks for that,I watched the flares video and what I did notice is that they burn out very quickly. Much to quick for the video under scrutiny here.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
strange looking think mite be flare...will tail

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't think it was a UFO. Sometime a satellite will be at the right altitude and bounce back the light, it seem to be at dusk. Just my thoughts

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join