It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should YouTube Be Banned?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Should sites such as YouTube be banned or forced into better policing of its content?

The reason i ask is because the clips showing abuse to animals and attacks on people that seem to be on the increase.

(as shown in the video of this thread,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I find things so sickening that i can't even bring myself to watch them.

YouTube allows you to flag such clips but in their terms of agreement there are no rules that state such content is forbidden to be uploaded.

Copyright is usually the focus as it involves big businesses losing money,but isn't it about time something was done to stop this outrage??

(apologies if this is not in the right forum)

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
No it shouldnt be banned, but it should have stricter guidlines and any inappropriate materiel should get banned and referred to a higher authority, cruelty to animals or driving around shooting people with pellet guns for example is a crime and there should be a way for all posters to be acounted for within the guidlines of the law.

So no not ban the site just reform it

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Youtube is one of the richest resources on the internet and, personally, I don't think any copyright holder loses anything by Youtube's existence.

Hail Youtube!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
sounds like censorship police

they already have a log in over 18 content filter

Many people are doing attention seeking bad behaviour just to get it on utubs for the "outrageous" effect outcry.

What if ? they modded before first post got uploaded ?

and some sort of ebay type flagging ?

some people are dobbing themselves in and providing the evidense !!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Absolutely not. No bans, no reforms.

If someone is stupid enough to post a criminal act, then it should be used as evidence, but there is absolutely no need whatsoever to censor it. Unless of course you are a sheeple breeder.

Well, maybe offensive material should have an extra step, like the age verfication on some vids. Not so much to "stop" kids from looking at the stuff (that's a prents job) but to give us a second to stop and decide if we really do want to look at the video. There have been times that I have clicked on things I wished I hadn't, and that little extra chance to take a detour would have been nice. A little warning like "this is really sick" would be nice sometimes.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ROO-meh

The content filter is not the greatest really, but i agree that mod it before its uploaded, its not as if its a small company that cant afford the resources as it would be a huge job.
Those who are proud to show off the crueller side of humanity should not be welcome on any shared site or forum and should face the consequenses, not really censorship just abiding by the law.

Basically a video like the one in the link should never of been allowed to be shown, end of story.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by pazcat]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ROO-meh

sounds like censorship police

Can't really help that,and its something i am normally against but when you have incidents such as the one of the 2 brothers finding out that the clip they were watching was actually a video of their own mother being raped then something has to be done.

Whether they were actually looking for that kinda thing or not,i don't know.
Speaks volumes about their character if they were.

Still....
It seems the ability to post such videos on line seems to encourage some ppl to perform acts of violence just for the camara.

Maybe it would help if videos had to be approved before being allowed to be uploaded.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ROO-meh

and some sort of ebay type flagging ?

That never seems to work.
Some videos have been flagged up to a 100 times or more and they are still on line.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Youtube is one of the richest resources on the internet and, personally, I don't think any copyright holder loses anything by Youtube's existence.

Hail Youtube!

This is right!

It's control freaks like Prince that have nothing else going on in their lives that lead a freaky control issue because they have nothing really to focus their efforts on.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
i find it funny how kids fighting animals stays up but jack in the boxes link to the new world order video has been removed.

obviously there are people out there who only want you to see what they let you see. the videos of crimes being committed are not only stupid but only further more copycats. i am personally against any person who can view something like that video and laugh. those people have no common sense and would rather see and animal get killed then read a book or learn something new.

once mass society becomes mass idiocracy we have a problem. welcome to 21st century America. enjoy your stay.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Were the cruel videos created specifically FOR youtube? If not, then I do not see the problem.

The authorities could find the posters of the video if they chose too, they can get warrants. If videos of animal abuse or people abuse are being produced and then posted on youtube by the offender it should be easy to track down.

I have no problem with excessive violence on youtube, however if people are going out and making videos to be famous on youtube and the authorities are not trying to stop it, there is a problem (though I am not sure the problem lies with the website, not sure at all).

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Were the cruel videos created specifically FOR youtube? If not, then I do not see the problem.

The authorities could find the posters of the video if they chose too, they can get warrants. If videos of animal abuse or people abuse are being produced and then posted on youtube by the offender it should be easy to track down.

I have no problem with excessive violence on youtube, however if people are going out and making videos to be famous on youtube and the authorities are not trying to stop it, there is a problem (though I am not sure the problem lies with the website, not sure at all).

[edit on 17-9-2008 by Sonya610]

why else would you tape yourself doing something illegal if not to brag about getting 1million views on youtube

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I have no problem with excessive violence on youtube

Remember you said that if you ever,god forbid,see a clip of someone you love or care about being beaten up just for fun.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll

Remember you said that if you ever,god forbid,see a clip of someone you love or care about being beaten up just for fun.

If someone I love gets beat up just for fun, I hope I see it on youTube. I'll then be able to call the police and say "boys get to work them badguys are real dumb".

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

If someone I love gets beat up just for fun, I hope I see it on youTube. I'll then be able to call the police and say "boys get to work them badguys are real dumb"

Yes,video footage is really effective when it comes to stopping crime.Especially when the people in it are wearing scarves over their faces and have hoods up.

People like that are always easy to recognize aren't they,you'd be able to pick them out of a line up no problem....oh,wait.no you wouldn't.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
why else would you tape yourself doing something illegal if not to brag about getting 1million views on youtube

There are a LOT of videos that were taped by third party witnesses that had nothing to do with the crime. Have you ever visited youtube?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
i have a question for jakkyl. if you have no problem with the violence on youtube does that also mean that if someone was beating the # out of an animal for fun and you saw it happening you wouldn't stop them?

youtube is not a television. nothing is staged there. there are no fake animals and the kids getting beat up aren't actors. think of each video as if it was happening right now in front of you. and if you can still watch it without care then you are no better then the people responsible.

link   

Originally posted by Incarnated

If someone I love gets beat up just for fun, I hope I see it on youTube. I'll then be able to call the police and say "boys get to work them badguys are real dumb".

Thats fairly naive way of looking at things, balaklavas and masks can easily hide identy helping you in no way to catch anybody, e_mails address can be set up rather easily etc etc, did anybody really need to see those poor guys get their heads chopped off, on a kitten getting slaughtered, or more importantly as jakll mentioned what if it was your family. Any criminal activity no matter how big nor small should be tolerated.
We all love youtube and its easy to ignore what we dont need to see but for societies sake a line should be drawn.

also that wasnt jaklls quote it was sonyas, excessive violence i of any kind is criminal

link   

Are you being dramatic? Or did you actually find out that a "loved one" was beaten when you happened across a youtube video?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by N. Tesla

There are a LOT of videos that were taped by third party witnesses that had nothing to do with the crime. Have you ever visited youtube?

taping a crime without interfering is a crime in it self.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join