It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about points

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
What is the purpose for the points? I've looked through the ATS store thing and didn't really see anything worth "spending" my points on. I know I've gone negative a significant amount of points as a form of 'punishment' for getting a bit rude towards a couple of members.

Is there any other reason for WHY I should want to gain points?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Its Funny

also it helps to have loads handy since there are some features like Blogs (when it comes back, if it does) which allows you to make a kind of mini site and make money using google ads

also changing background and so on cost points.

so thats about it

also after you get a million you get $100,000.00 in monopoly money

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I would not key on points. They are effectively meaningless. I would key on giving thoughtful responses and attempting to be friendly towards your fellow members.

I have been warned numerous times too. It happens.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Since it is the season, I'm assuming what you're really asking for is an ATS points bailout.

There are many ways to get more points. Dog-sitting, running errands, jumping through fiery hoops for mods are just some of the creative ways you can get "pointed".

I wouldn't worry about too much.
It's not like we measure and validate you through your points.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

No, not asking for a bailout, I just don't see the value of the points as I don't really need them. So if I don't need or will use them through the ATS store, how are they used as a form of effective punishment?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Points can be useful to a certain degree.
I spend thousands on ATS upload space to incorporate image into my own posts and include some into tinWiki articles.

I tend to pull in far more points than I could ever spend at the store, but don't think of them as any sort of status symbol. They just allow you to pretty up your side profile and use more storage space on the ATS servers.

I think RATS still requires 5,000 points for access plus 250 a month to maintain it, and a background image runs about 2,500.

A lot of people that reply to this thread will be totally flush with points.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

To be serious,
Yes point deduction is a punishment, but that usually happens to new members who haven't taken the time to read through the T&C. Most members find their feet after a while and there's no need for further corrections.
ATS/BTS points are mostly to indicate a specific member's contribution to ATS. Combined with a member's "applause" and "flagged" totals, one can get a pretty good picture of other members' level and to a degree quality of participation.

Edit: Canadian points are worth about half as much as the rest, depending on the strength of the yen.

[edit on 9/17/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by sirnex

ATS/BTS points are mostly to indicate a specific member's contribution to ATS. Combined with a member's "applause" and "flagged" totals, one can get a pretty good picture of other members' level and to a degree quality of participation.

Well, my BTS points are so embarressing that I hardly ever dare to visit that place. I am too scared that someone will notice them and make fun of me.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Indeed, your "little" green bar isn't helping either.

If you're really nice to the mods and grovel appropriately, they will help you reduce your BTS deficit.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

So you are making fun of my bar, now?! As if I don't have enough problems with my BTS points?

Bad dog! Bad, bad dog!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

You DON'T? Then why the heck have I been hoarding all these points for in the first place?

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

You DON'T? Then why the heck have I been hoarding all these points for in the first place?

Shhh. I'm humoring.

We all know points are the '"SPICE"

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

ehh i would like to pretty up my profile or whatever. i can't even figure out how to have a basic profile pic for effs sake.. i'm at a loss here.

mind explaining it to me??

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
If we're taking it down to the level of status, so far in this thread only bodrul, whatukno, and myself, have no worries about walking around the locker room without a towel.

I'm sure someone will wander in and put us all to shame though.:shk:

The length of your bar doesn't reflect the quality of your posts, it just shows how often you do it........

EDIT:

You may not have the space to host it on the ATS server because of the point deficit.

Host it on Putfile or something and I'll upload it and give you a link.
I think avatars are free though, you don't need to pay any points.

[edit on 17/9/2008 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sakubunny

Go to "member upload center" at the "memcenter" link at the top of the page , upload a pic for your avatar (about 135x250), copy and paste the url onto "avatar url" in the "account settings" page.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sakubunny
i can't even figure out how to have a basic profile pic

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Avatars (profile pics) are free and you won't need points to get one.

the best advice I can think of, is for you to go to the Member Art forum and browse through the large number of (very artistic) members that enjoy making them for you.

You might, depending on your computer type, have to log into BTS seperately... I do.

Good luck.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 17/9/08 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Have you ever tried looking at your avatar drunk? WTF man...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

So you are making fun of my bar, now?! As if I don't have enough problems with my BTS points?

/*Points at Ziggy's small bar

grabs coat and legs it*

>>>

[edit on 17-9-2008 by StarTraveller]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I compeletely agree.
And getting very few stars while making lots of posts means you are doing a good job making people question themselves. People don't like when you do that..

To me the points system is mostly a system of recognition. People with the most points get more recognition, more praise, and more attention when they start a new thread (generally). And when someone with ALOT of points starts a thread, sometimes 3 or 4 people will make a one-line post saying something like "Good post! Starred and flagged!" and then they get like 10 stars for saying that... WHICH DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE. If you are going to give stars, give it to the person who is making the good argument/post.. They shouldn't be going to someone else who is simply giving someone praise for THEIR good post. But that's really how the star system bleeds over into other posts. If you have a thread with, say, 10 pages.. The first couple pages will almost always have alot more stars than any of the other pages. That means more people are reading certain parts of the thread than others, and that means that certain people are more LIKELY to get stars on, say, page 1 than they would on page 9 (just as an example)..

Seeing how the same people post to new threads over and over makes me think that some people actually sit and wait on ATS for new threads to come out so they can be the first to comment. There isn't anything wrong with that but it does seem kind of silly to me.. I have VERY VERY rarely gotten in on a popular thread on the first 2 pages.. I just don't see the importance of having to be the first to respond.. And many times I will watch how a thread unfolds before even commenting at all. Some people miss important parts of the discussion. That's what annoys me.. It isn't so much the people making the posts it is what they post.. And sometimes people simply don't do the research necessary to make a valid post backed up with sources and uncommon logic. I'm simply rambling here but it is something to keep in mind..

In my view giving points is more important because you can give people recognition who wouldn't normally receive it. That's the beauty of the system but it isn't without its flaws. Honestly, more people are going to read a thread started by someone with LOTS of points than someone with only a few who started the same thread with the same content.. That's just the way it works though and it is all because of the points system giving people recognition for their efforts over the long haul.

It's good and bad.. Because if you have been on ATS long enough to have that kind of point tally, people are going to respect you more on the boards and people are going to generally pay more attention to your posts. It's an incentive. But the downside is the people with low point counts who want to get more involved on ATS but can't get anybody to respond to their threads..That can be frustrating.

-ChriS

[edit on 17-9-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by sirnex

To be serious,
Yes point deduction is a punishment, but that usually happens to new members who haven't taken the time to read through the T&C.

I once lost points for an excessive quote. It was only a paragraph or so, at least to my memory of it, but I was warned and lost points. Since then I've seen hundreds of much larger quotes and no punishment to those that didn't cut down the quote, so not everyone is treated the same here.

Now the question is, will I get hand slapped for the above comment? Hope not because I really enjoy this forum.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join