It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Got A Million Dollars From A Distant Relative, Now What?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   
If you just found out your long lost cousin died. He left you a million dollars, i know its not as much as it used to be but its all yours. What would you do with it? Would it change your life? Would it make it worse?

First thing id do is

Buy a Aston Martin DB7.

Invest in Properties and by falling US shares when they are at an all time low and also a fair portion in the Australian stock exchange.

Buy ten really expensive tailored suits.

Give some to my family.

And then go to Vegas.

What would you do?

[edit on 17-9-2008 by q_ball]

[edit on 17-9-2008 by q_ball]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I'd set my parents and lil brother up with a lil something and buy a fabulous house and cars for my husband and I, then put the rest in savings.

well ok, I'd update my wardrobe and make up case a lil too ... just a tiny bit

[edit on 17-9-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

buy a House (couple of them)
since house prices are crashing and i can make a tidy profit later on

also buy a CAR (Skyline)

also savings

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'd buy some land with a big barn.

Convert the upper floor to live in and have the lower half to keep animals.

Set up an animal rescue centre on the premises and keep a vet on a retainer.

See if I could register as a charity to keep things going after the initial set-up.

Enjoy the rest of my life living with and caring for all the creatures.

Bliss.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I hate to sound greedy, but 1 mil is not what it used to be.

Nevertheless, I would give a percentage to my sons and mother and brother, and keep the rest for traveling and emergencies. Maybe a new computer, and a super fancy camera.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

awww you're just lovely. Made me feel a bit guilty about my wishful thinking and how indulgent it sounded but hey, times are tough in most cities these days and my family is struggling a bit now
who ain't right ?

I have considered the quiet life, setting up house and home on a farm or something too but ehhh I was raised a city girl and it's what I know

I'd love to see my parents retired and happy and not have to work another day of their lives. Their business is hard on them now. And my lil brother just needs a lil cash to make his dreams come true.

As for me and my husband, we are living a mad life right now, military, abroad, it's tough so a house and a couple of cars when we settle would be nice

Of course there will be many animals in our house also. I love them and would have many if I could afford their care.

Savings for any future kids we may have

[edit on 17-9-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

true dg, very true.

It's still a lot to me though

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
First I would buy a condo in a cheap area that is relatively nice and peaceful. That would take up a couple hundred of it and only have to worry about yearly capitol gains.

Then I would invest it in a 20 year safe money market fund. Ok, actually I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to Financial Money Investment. I would get all the books on safe long term investing and study my arse off before making any moves.

I know so many people that were poor and got settlements or what ever. They received $50,000 and they didn't have anything to show for months later and are back to being poor.

The way I see it is, In so many cases you have no choice but to be poor because you have no money to do anything with no matter how smart you are. If you get money and blow it than you are making a conscious or unconscious decision to continue being poor and that is your own darn falt.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

I moved to the country a few months ago with some friends and my dog.

Up to now, besides the birds, squirrels and rabbits we've got a small colony of slow worms living in an oil drum and a (rapidly) growing family of rats.

Two of the baby rats have just climbed onto the bird-table and we're fliming them. The most fun is when they want to come down and realise how high up they've climbed.

So - not too far from my dream.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

awwwww @ the baby rats. Bless them

Will you keep them and raise them as pets or what ?

moving to the country sounds so wonderful to me. Who knows, maybe in retirement for me, bein a city gal n all.

Sorry for temporarily derailing your thread Q, pls forgive me cuz

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

I love it so much here, I mention it all the time because I want to encourage everyone else to give it a go. It's worth a shot even without a million.

We won't try to make pets of the rats, just keep putting the food out and watching them from the window. They're so entertaining.

Q - please forgive me too.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I'd give half of it to my son in the form of a secured trust fund.

The rest I would have to spend on lawyers in order to see my son.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
First I would forgive the debts of my entire family's loans that we've made them over the last couple of years. Then I would change my phone # and say, "Don't call me, I'll call you.". :bnghd:

I would make sure that my dad is set so that he and his wife can finally retire for real this time and not have to worry about health insurance.

I would payoff our house and camper, take a quick girl's trip to Vegas and sock the rest away for the kids.

Rush

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Buy a small cabin in the woods, and a motorhome.
I would be on the road 3/4 of the year..and spend winters in the cabin.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
..and spend winters in the cabin.

Can you get that cabin under the autora borealis so I can come up and have a great viewing spot. I've never seen the northern lights but wouldn't know where to go. Oh, make sure it has heat. We can drink hypnotics and make fun of ATS reptillian threads.

Rush

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I would buy a motorhome. Than, if a prison is build next to me I'd just move on. What's up with CCA and all these prisons? They go into small towns Brainwash the people & POOF there's a prison!

[edit on 9/17/2008 by MountainStar]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112

..and spend winters in the cabin.

Can you get that cabin under the autora borealis so I can come up and have a great viewing spot. I've never seen the northern lights but wouldn't know where to go. Oh, make sure it has heat. We can drink hypnotics and make fun of ATS reptillian threads.

Rush

Absolutely Rush. I have seen the Northern lights, and they are breathtaking.
Of course the cabin would have heat! I used to live in an old house with a wood stove. And yes..I hauled, and split my own wood..with an ax.
Sounds like fun!

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I used to live in an old house with a wood stove. And yes..I hauled, and split my own wood..with an ax.

Can we just get a regular heating unit? lol

Rush

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A million..?! Ehm.. Firstly I'd faint.. Then think how much tax I'd have to pay over a million..

Comming back to conciousness I'd make sure my mother does not have to worrie about her pension and even older days, grin..

I might buy a sweet little house or appartment in the city where I live nowdays..

When there is a left over, as houses are not cheap these days, I'd go for a travel around the world and visit all the places I have not been yet and wish to go, invite people to have nice excursions and ofcourse visit friends that don't live around the corner.

And then when there is still a left over I might even do something good for people that have even less then I have now.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112

I used to live in an old house with a wood stove. And yes..I hauled, and split my own wood..with an ax.

Can we just get a regular heating unit? lol

Rush

Not in my neck of the woods honey...
I do things the old fashioned way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join