It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency YouTube Censorship Announcement!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is an emergency update from www.usa180.org about YouTube's censorship implementation involving bill S 1959.

This is new censorship occurring now! (09/16/08) If you are a frequent user you may know several of your favourite users are no longer active. 40% of my best user accounts are suspended and suddenly inactive.

Aggressive flagging and banning of YouTube accounts is underway. Pay attention, spread the word and video!

Emergency YouTube Censorship Update

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
What kind of stuff are they banning?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bubbles75

"predatory behavior, stalking, threats, harassment, intimidation, invading privacy, revealing other people's personal information and inciting others to commit violent acts or to violate the terms of use are taken very seriously."

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo

"predatory behavior, stalking, threats, harassment, intimidation, invading privacy, revealing other people's personal information and inciting others to commit violent acts or to violate the terms of use are taken very seriously."

Good job too.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Originally posted by Reddupo

Good job too.

Yea, in fairness, there are some amount of complete a**holes on youtube saying whatever they want and abusing who they want without any comebacks.
Almost every video i have ever seen on youtube has a load of abusive comments directed at other commenters. Its ridiculous.

I don't think its that bad an idea as long as they don't start a widespread censorship of specific topics and video's.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
I don't think its that bad an idea as long as they don't start a widespread censorship of specific topics and video's.

One of the accounts that was suspended was AceByran7ox(something like that). Which was over 800 videos of UFO's, and probably the best source on youtube for UFO videos.

All of them are gone.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Why do you think these people bought ebay, youtube, facebook, and others? Do you think it was to "make money"?

It was to shut down dissent when the time is right. You should be very aware of this by now.

The cool part is, anyone can start up their own "youtube".

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot
Why do you think these people bought ebay, youtube, facebook, and others? Do you think it was to "make money"?

It was to shut down dissent when the time is right. You should be very aware of this by now.

The cool part is, anyone can start up their own "youtube".

It's funny you mention this. I am actually added video stuff to my site now. We had been talking about just using youtube videos and embedding them etc. But after I seen this I decided to just do our own completely.

But the videos on my site won't be like a youtube, it is topic specific. But YouTube did lose a bit of business and traffic today as a result of this.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Since the bill hasn't passed, its enforcement on youtube is happening now under false pretences of homegrown terrorism prevention or violent radicalization and resulting in banning of users and accounts.

The only thing that's really happening is the shutting down of information sharing channels deemed "negative propaganda". The account flagging campaign is enforcing information control of various topics, most of which couldn't be considered terrorist related in the least. It wouldn't be a bad idea to download videos of your own from youtube you find important for future viewing.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

That is bad news right there.A video i linked to on ats about a cigar shaped craft has gone.
I wonder if it has anything to do with this.

www.newscientist.com...

[edit on 16-9-2008 by tracey ace]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Doesn't surprise me .. but ill do my part by spreading this as much as possible. Thank you for the post.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Yea, in fairness, there are some amount of complete a**holes on youtube saying whatever they want and abusing who they want without any comebacks.
Almost every video i have ever seen on youtube has a load of abusive comments directed at other commenters. Its ridiculous.

Yeah almost every video has abusive comments!? What's up with that!? lol

And don't you hate when there's a video of say a soccer/football game and you see comments between people arguing about religion or other totally off topic comments lol. ??

[edit on 17-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_And don't you hate when there's a video of say a soccer/football game and you see comments between people arguing about religion or other totally off topic comments lol. ??

haha not really. I think some of them are amusing to read. Besides, the OP posting the vids has the option of disabling their comment section or making their page private. I think this is a retarded idea that serves an agenda other than shutting down abusive comments.

*sighs* oh well.. I'm not a big fan of youtube anyway.

[edit on 17-9-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
While at the same time I think alot of the videos on YouTube have been taken too far, I also think its important to preserve our free speech here in America and steps like this only go further in taking it away.

That being said I don't think the government will ever be able to stop the spread of information over the internet. The internet is an awesome blessing for all of us and gives the ordinary people a massive tool of power in terms of information spreading. As the saying goes the pen is mightier than the sword, well the internet is stronger than the nuclear bomb then.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I'm kind of torn on this. I'm normally against censorship of any kind. I'm pro-free speech even to the extent that I think racists should be given a platform, even though I think what they have to say is vile.

I personally don't have a problem with the comic-misanthropy the user comments or the schadenfreude of watching someone getting hurt in a skateboarding accident or similar.

What I do have a problem with, and it is a problem in Britain, is the 'happy-slapping' phenomena. When YouTube is being used to broadcast violent assaults &c, I think that's a genuine issue for censorship as it both glorifies and encourages the problem.

I can't see the video linked in the OP, so I'm unsure of what, exactly, is going to be censored but I doubt it's going to material that is a genuine problem like 'happy-slapping'.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Oh wow, I was just going to make a thread about this. I saw this video on YouTube called "YouTube's Mass Censorship S1959" here's the link to it if you want www.youtube.com...#.

Make sure you check the views for the vid, because it's probably a lot lower than what it should be. Right now it's 88,487, and has been for at least 15 mins now. The other day when I first found this vid the number of views were the same for at least two hours! Seems suspicious to me...

I did find another thread about S 1959, but not to do with YouTube, here, which explains S 1959 if there's anyone who doesn't know about it. It's in the second post btw.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Spiked Humor FTW!!

Its like youtube just not all the bs...

top topics

join