It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Four Earthquakes in the past 24 hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Since LHC has been started up, there have been 4 earthquakes around the world in the past 24 hours. To me, that is not usual circumstances, and I know blaming the collier is ridiculous, BUT…… how odd is that?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
whats the average number of earthquakes per day or week because this isnt the only anomaly that occurred I think we should investigate this

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
whats the average number of earthquakes per day or week because this isnt the only anomaly that occurred I think we should investigate this

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
As far as I'm aware,4 earthquakes isn't that large an ammount to happen on 1 day.

Check the earthquake measuring sites to get a better picture of how many quakes happen per day/week

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It does seem that over the past year we've had more big earthquakes than I've heard of previously. Maybe they're just getting more attention, but it seems that way to me.. Thought about that the other day...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
With 2 minutes of research on Google, and 3 sites checked and roughly averaged out, here are some quick numbers on earthquake frequency, world wide, on a daily basis.

Mag 6-6.9 quakes average about 1 every 3 days.

Mag 5-5.9 quakes average about 3.5 every day.

Mag 4-4.9 quakes average about 35.5 every day.

4 quakes around the ranges listed about, in 1 day, whether globally or more localised to a specific region does not suprise me. If the LHC was responsible, I'd expect any resulting quakes to be VERY localised to the areas directly around CERN, and nowhere else. Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CerebralhemoRrhage

4 may not be a big number for earthquakes in one day, but 4 major earthquakes does seem alarming to me, headlines;

A powerful earthquake rattled northeastern Indonesia magnitude 6.6 on Thursday
A 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck northern Chile on Wednesday
A strong earthquake rocked southern Iran on Wednesday magnitude 6.1.
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit northern Japan on Thursday morning

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well four eathquakes around the world does not surpise me at all but its al these things happening at once that has me intrigued

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Ive been following the LHC since popular science had an article on it like 2 years ago and i never expected anything bad to come of it or this much hype so i cant wait to see what happens

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I am so glad you started this post! It has been on my mind since yesterday. I don't think CERN had anything to do with it, but it does make you take notice. 4 large earthquakes in one day is alarming to me. Nothing we can do about it but speculate. Haven't heard of any deaths or major damage, so that is a blessing.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asakh
reply to post by CerebralhemoRrhage

4 may not be a big number for earthquakes in one day, but 4 major earthquakes does seem alarming to me, headlines;

A powerful earthquake rattled northeastern Indonesia magnitude 6.6 on Thursday
A 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck northern Chile on Wednesday
A strong earthquake rocked southern Iran on Wednesday magnitude 6.1.
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake hit northern Japan on Thursday morning

If you check the post above you, you will see that this number of earthquakes is not that large or significant. Many of them are deep earthquakes... and this particular cluster is mostly associated with the Pacific plate. Any time you have a large earthquake on a section of a plate, the rest of the plate adjusts to that shift.

As the USGS site says, there's a 100% chance of an earthquake today and every day in the future... and there was at least one earthquake every single day of Earths' history:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
OMG

The LHC is working on like 0,0001 percent of it's full capacity there are many particle colliders out there that are more powerful than the LHC in it's current state. Yesterday it took protons 1 hour to go once around the LHC so it's traveling with an amazing speed of .... 27 km per hour. The LHC is not the cause of those earthquakes. When you have to blaim the LHC please wait till its working 100 percent and that's in about 4 years.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Actually there has been a substantial increase in the number of quakes over 5.0. The USGS site earthquake.usgs.gov... gives a detailed listing of quakes worldwide.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
it's uncommon this year

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Asakh

Please. Stop the madness. Cern only put protons through the pipes and sent them around, one clockwise, one counterclockwise. They did not smash them together. It was only a test run, nothing actually took place but a test.

I am concerned myself about when they actually smash the protons together, they are looking for the 'God Particle' , what started the universe. It has been said by science that it all started with something so small, we couldn't see it without a powerful microscope. Well, that is about the same size particle they will be smashing into each other, BUT, that has yet to happen.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
The earthquakes are increasing, so are volcanoes, we have seen the awaking of volcanoes that have been sleeping for thousands of years. The averages posted above are extemely incorect as to a daily average. Currently earthquakes are anywhere from 180 per day to over 200. The intensity and location are what have increased.

please check out this link:earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 12-9-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I agree with the overall 'gist' of your post but as for my numbers being "extremely incorrect", I got my numbers from the University of Memphis- Center for Earthquake Research and Information. They claim an average of 2600 earthquakes happen every day around the world, with most falling in the "imperceptible" to "potentially perceptible" range.

The ranges I quoted and roughly averaged, only cover the magnitudes of the 4 earthquakes that the OP was referring to. It should also be noted that 3 of those 4 quakes took place in the "Ring of Fire". Nothing strange about that. The other was in the middle east. That would be the closest to CERN, and it's really not very close at all.

[edit on 9/12/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asakh
Since LHC has been started up, there have been 4 earthquakes around the world in the past 24 hours. To me, that is not usual circumstances, and I know blaming the collier is ridiculous, BUT…… how odd is that?

I'm pretty sure there will have been a lot more earthquakes than that in the past 24 hours.

If only 4 earthquakes had occurred, then that would be very odd.

If you sign up to Google Alerts and ask for news stories on Earthquakes you'll soon realise just how many significant ones there are all the time that warrant a news story - without the majority that go uncommented on.

top topics

join