It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fearing end of world by CERN, 16 year old girl commits suicide,10 September,2008

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Watchman
How compassionate of you. Spoken like someone who hasn't experienced much pain and loss in his/her own life. Lucky you. I would argue that your response doesn't speak well for which end of the gene pool you inhabit.

If your child (or anyone close to you) kills themselves because of ONE news story, then perhaps it is easier to blame it on the story rather than look at the real situation huh? This girl probably had a lot of problems, maybe her family could have helped her address them, maybe not. But this news story excuse seems ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This is exactly the reason why I dislike people that think label everything as a doomsday prohpecy. Sucides have been attributed a few times with the false comings of jesus (sorry to those religious people, just meant he hasnt yet arrived
)and Nibiru, as well as potential collisions with asteroids. I mean, you just have to look at the events that occured in Guyana, with Jim Jones.

I dont think its the intention of most of the scaremongers, but they never think of the possible consequences of their actions on people that scare easily or who have problems such as depression or scizophrenia

[edit on 10/9/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This is a result of fear mongering and something else. It seems obvious to me, this girl had other issues...what exactly they were, no one will ever know.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
India has a pretty high suicide rate,but this is the first iv'e heard of offing themselves over the CERN,poor girl that is a pretty odd way of saving oneself from death.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

It's not that ridiculous. So far she's the only one, making her say 1 in 500million (those who knew it was happening, maybe). Doesn't have to be any issues at all.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
I dont think its the intention of most of the scaremongers, but they never think of the possible consequences of their actions on people that scare easily or who have problems such as depression or scizophrenia

[edit on 10/9/2008 by OzWeatherman]

Not intentional, maybe an acceptable loss though.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone_gay

Sorry, didn't see your opinion on this matter.

I'm sorry you feel that way, I only say what I think. I didn't she was the only one, I said "So far she's the only one". I don't see how it matters anyhow.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by Sendran]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
If we see mass suicides, that would suck, but there would be a few less village idiots around.

Exactly, it's social darwinism. I seriously doubt that we're going to lose any beneficial members of society. I'm just saying that I don't think that an LHC-fear-suicide is going to cost us a cancer cure.

Originally posted by Sonya610
I find the whole hysteria thing to be very amusing. Some of the posts on ATS...people saying "goodbye" and such. Sheesh.

You think that's bad. Just wait. I'm not coming on ATS for the entire winter of 2012/2013. [SNIP]

Mod edit: Removed rude comment.
Mod Edit: Civility and Decorum are Required

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Gemwolf]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by cern_info

huh... huh? What a stupid *bleep*. That... is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Even if the world ended, SHE WOULD GO WITH IT. And if it didn't, she wouldn't. So why not live until it happens? Oh my nonexistant god, WTF?!!!
Sigh...

This is one time I can say "No great loss." But even now, I still feel bad about thinking that. She MUST have had other issues in her life.

[edit AGAIN on 10-9-2008 by flyindevil]

[edit on 10-9-2008 by flyindevil]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is not CERN's fault, this is squarely the fault of the media. They love 'sexy' stories and nothing is 'sexier' than the end of the world. However, one can't help but think that there were other issues at hand and the LHC is just the 'fall guy'.
Also implicated should be the various Governments of the World who have failed to promote Scientific literacy.

[edit on 10/9/08 by ChChKiwi]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by cern_info

We hope we will not get mass suicide because of fear involving in this experiment.

I'm sorry, but if anyone is afraid of what the LHC might do and finds that killing themselves is a more palatable choice than educating themselves about it - then I feel absolutely no sympathy for them. Natural Selection in progress. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
poor girl. so short-sided to do something like this when your still a child. (life has all kinds of ups and downs, get through your teens at least to get a little taste of it)

and yes, if it wasn't for the CERN hysteria, she probably would have done the deed sooner or later for another reason.

but it's sad, and i feel for her parents.

hopefully something very positive will stem from CERN and what they learn in the future.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Ok so wait, let me get this straight.

She feared she was going to die today; so she killed herself before the black hole could get her?

Errrr.. what?

Nahh.. if that's true, she had to have suffered from some sort of mental illness. At 16, she'd be far more than competent enough to be able to comprehend the situation and analyze it logically. This demonstrates she was incompetent, by a significant margin, so there's something else going on here.

If she was competent, how would she have rationalized that? This would somehow show the black hole who's boss? It doesn't pan out.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Sorry but this makes little sense. She killed herself to avoid dying? For the people saying she wanted to go her own way, well that would make sense, if you knew you were going to die. Obviously this girl only read one side of the story, panicked, probably ended up having full on panic attacks and her mind couldn't cope.

I'm going to sound so horribly callous here but, do we really need people like that in the human race? It's a sad thing she killed herself, but i'm not going to get all upset over it. Anyone killing themselves is up to them and i won't feel midly sorry for them if they decide to take their life. In the end it's one of the most selfish acts you can do (unless it's to save the life of someone else).

Where were her parents to calm her down exactly?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Yeah, this sounds more like she was clinically depressed prior to watching the broadcast... she was going to do it anyways, but happened to be tuned into the broadcast when she did it.

If it had been a Much Music video... I'd be more inclined to believe it was the medias fault.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

cold, but funny.
I read comewhere that the CERN place is largely underground. It might not have been right, but if something like that machine did explode, i think it would be a huge series of earthquakes through the earth.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well, if folks would ignore some extreme media outlets and the many threads on ATS that predicted the end of workd because of this, maybe this poor girl would still be alive.

Thanks fearmongering ATS'ers who contributed to this.

Originally posted by cern_info

Fearing end of world by CERN, girl commits suicide in,India,10 September,2008

timesofindia.indiatimes.com

INDORE: A 16-year-old girl in Madhya Pradesh allegedly committed suicide after watching news on channels about possibility of the end of earth following the atom-smasher experiment in Geneva that began on Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - removed link to personal blog

[edit on 10-9-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Suicide has always seemed a very odd response to doomsday scenarios to me. Looting, revenge murders, acts of uncharacteristic bravado, experimentation with drugs and whatnot seems to be a likely response, but suicide?

It's a shame that this LHC experiment is driving so many people to insane, knee-jerk reactions.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It's obviously a sad thing that someone would commit suicide over their fear of something (though that doesn't make much sense).

But all I know, is that if I were going to die, how cool would it be to have it be done inside a Black Hole or something?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join